Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Having problem to download latest OTA update, anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My problem came back again after I entered service mode and 'fixed' it last week! So requested a service(it only allows me to submit as a concern if I chose software update issue). Then I called service center and talked to them. They told me that: yes, they have received a few calls/cases with exactly issue which I am experiencing now, they know this issue but don't know why. It needs engineer to investigate. So I reserve an appointment which is Friday(earliest).

Currently, they told me they pushed another update to me to test it works or not, just tested, it's the same as before. You are right, it should not be queue problem in server side because mine also downloaded at 100% but stuck right there, without initialization of installation at all. Now I also suspect it could be the hardware failure somewhere. Will figure it out this Friday.
I had to schedule service by calling the 1-888-518-3752 number. This seamed to get the ball rolling a little quicker (despite 3 separate attempts). I was also unable to get service scheduled using the Tesla App. Unfortunately the people from the 1-888-518-3752 number were pretty reluctant to schedule service and came up with all sorts of excused like "your wifi is bad", "it'll fix itself overnight" , and "a lot of people are downloading the update now so the install for you is in queue", which was all BS so just be persistent with them and don't get off the phone until they have a service scheduled. Again, once it was scheduled they seemed to be more proactive.

Reactions: AbraDabra007
Finally, after a third attempt at contacting customer support and explaining the issue they scheduled me for a service appointment on the 23rd of February. After the service appointment was scheduled, the local service center messaged me through the Tesla App pretty quickly telling me to do a "hard reset" (steering wheel scroll wheel buttons) which I explained I had already done. They advised that the issue would be resolved by doing this. Obviously I already knew it wouldn't fix the issue because I had already tried this. I did it again to please them and told them again it didn't work and they passed it off to their virtual technicians. The virtual technicians sent the latest available firmware version to my car and this time it successfully installed (software version 2024.2.2.1). After it was installed I asked a couple of more questions in regards to why it was version 2024.2.2.1 that was installed and not 2024.2.3 and they said "the software development team was able to identify significant corruption in the version 2024.2.3 and that the latest version is 2024.2.2.1".

I am not sure why this took almost a week and 3 separate phone calls to service support but the problem has been fixed (for now). Hopefully this will help some of you if you're running into similar issues.

For some data, I was losing ~5% battery overnight while it was stuck in the downloading loop. Car was still functioning normally other than that but the Tesla App and what the screen in the vehicle was showing matched the entire time.

2023 MYLR

- KC
Mine still not working, even though they did push another installation to my car. I still need to go to service center tomorrow to let them figure it out.

I had to schedule service by calling the 1-888-518-3752 number. This seamed to get the ball rolling a little quicker (despite 3 separate attempts). I was also unable to get service scheduled using the Tesla App. Unfortunately the people from the 1-888-518-3752 number were pretty reluctant to schedule service and came up with all sorts of excused like "your wifi is bad", "it'll fix itself overnight" , and "a lot of people are downloading the update now so the install for you is in queue", which was all BS so just be persistent with them and don't get off the phone until they have a service scheduled. Again, once it was scheduled they seemed to be more proactive.
I directly call my local service center and they tried to help but no cigar. However, they can't schedule appointment with me and I had to go through the app. Funny thing is, there is no option to schedule service if I chose software related topic(only can submit concern and can only do once). They advise me to submit another issue and add this one to it, which was exactly what I did to make the service appointment. Hopefully they could figure it out tomorrow.

My model Y behaves strangely this time while previous 2 updates were smooth and fine. I don't know what's wrong and need suggestions.

It's the latest "recall", nothing important, just text is too small or whatever. Software is 2024.2.2.1

Here is what happens, it's been almost 3 days now, it tried to download the software, but no progress. My Model Y connects to Wi-Fi(with good signal) as usual. It stays in downloading status just like that. The worst thing is, it eats battery so bad, I lost 5% per day because of this! I can't do anything, can't make it going forward, can't stop it either! I have restarted the router, the Telsa software system, nothing helps. I never had such problem and I don't think anything I changed it either.

Any help on this one? Should I take to the service?
On the point of the phantom drain caused by the bad software download, I was able to stop it by deleting my WiFi network from the car. Turning it off wasn’t sufficient as the car turned it back on by the next morning.

I called Tesla to prod them since I heard nothing in the app about next steps. They indicated an engineer was looking at it with no ETA and they wouldn’t schedule an appointment (I didn’t press for it). I asked if it would be an issue if the car was not connected to WiFi. He didn’t seem to think it would be a problem, but I didn’t hear a high level of confidence over the phone either. Anyway, my plan is to connect to WiFi an hour or so every few days so it has an opportunity to download anything they push to the car. At this stage, solving the phantom drain is my bigger concern.

My model Y still sits in Tesla service center and they haven't fixed it yet. They gave me a loaner Model Y to use from last Friday when I dropped the car. Will update it when it's fixed -- said it would be today. Seems it's a tough problem...

Update: Tesla finally fixed my Model Y. I asked for the reason why it fails this way and discussed with the technicians, they gave me this explanation: nothing is wrong with the car's hardware, it's just a pure software issue. This happens on some 2022 and 2023 Model Y. It's basically caused by in-complete software updates(even though it says completed or successfully updated) accumulated to some point, the system will fail to update eventually and behave like this. Usually it happens after 4 or more updates after delivery of the vehicle. Yes, my Model Y indeed had like 4 updates before this happens. So it seems to me there is something wrong in the factory installed firmware(he didn't say that directly but hinted like that, and I think it's been fixed for new vehicle hopefully). Here is how they fixed it: verify all hardware is good(no need to replace anything), then re-install the update-to-date firmware and software.

I also asked whether we can solve it like re-install it in service mode, the answer is you can do that, but it won't solve the root of the problem. It will come back later(as my Model Y did). It has to be done in their service center(to flush the latest firmware).

Reactions: red-min-t
Update on my end. Tesla was able to remotely update the software manually to 2024.2.7 without a service visit. The battery drain issue was resolved once they fixed the software issue.

Best guess after reading the 3-4 software update comment chuanren20 mentioned (which was consistent with my car as well), installation files may not have been cleaned up and it eventually ran out of space. Doesn’t matter, we don’t have a path to fix it, but at least it no longer requires a service visit.

Update on my end. Tesla was able to remotely update the software manually to 2024.2.7 without a service visit. The battery drain issue was resolved once they fixed the software issue.

Best guess after reading the 3-4 software update comment chuanren20 mentioned (which was consistent with my car as well), installation files may not have been cleaned up and it eventually ran out of space. Doesn’t matter, we don’t have a path to fix it, but at least it no longer requires a service visit.
Great you saved a trip to the service center! Hope it doesn't come back, so far mine had like another 3 updates, everyone is successful without any issue.