Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm moving to Belgium and bringing our Tesla. What to expect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we're relocating to Brussels and I was wondering, seeing as EVs and Teslas aren't all that common in Belgium, if I should expect som problems getting set up with charging and insurance?

I realize I would probably be driving around with norwegian plates for a few months, but at some point those belgian plates will get sorted and I need to figure out the insurance. What is a reasonable quote for a 2021 model 3 long range? I'm paying the equivalent of €1100 a year for full coverage including road tax (€400 deductible) here now. That's a little less than I used to pay for my old diesel car back in 2015, so I suppose its an ok price here, but don't know what to expect in Belgium.

We're looking at renting a house with a garage and paying someone to install a proper charger. Here in Norway this would generally not be a problem, and the landlords would probably think it's just fine as it increases the value of the property. Should I expect some sort of opposition to this? Are there any peculiar rules and regulations I should know about here?

What's the public charging infrastructure like? Is it common to find public on street charging or charging points at parking garages? Do you pay extra or is it free? I'm not thinking about the superchargers, regular slow chargers that are, at least here in Oslo, pretty common and that makes it easier to find parking when driving an EV.

Thanks for your help!

Reactions: job-lek
Welcome to this third world charging country ;)
When I arrived in Belgium you had to change your license plate within 6 months. I don't know if that is still the same rule.
For my S I have a full risk insurance for 1450. The 3 might be cheaper.
If I'm not mistaken there are no EV incentives in Brussels. So, the road tax might be payable, which I don't have in Flanders. Maybe move there after your Brussels period?
Good luck with trying to get a charger in the rental house. Experience with charging is non-existing here, specially in Brussels. I would make sure to make the charger mobile so that you can take it with you when you leave your rental. Just make sure to fill up the holes in the wall afterwards. They are very picky about that, those landlords.... :)
In the city of Amsterdam there are as many chargers as there are in whole Belgium! So, good luck (again) with trying to find them in the Brussels' streets. As far as I know they are all payable. However, there is a SuC in Machelen, close to the airport.

• Informative
Reactions: jbcarioca
For charging locations, have a look here:
Not very dense as you can see.
Those at supermarkets, like Lidl are free of charge.

Crucial question: Can you charge at your employer ? If yes, then there is probably no need for a home charger.

Reactions: job-lek
Welcome to this third world charging country ;)
When I arrived in Belgium you had to change your license plate within 6 months. I don't know if that is still the same rule.
For my S I have a full risk insurance for 1450. The 3 might be cheaper.
If I'm not mistaken there are no EV incentives in Brussels. So, the road tax might be payable, which I don't have in Flanders. Maybe move there after your Brussels period?
Good luck with trying to get a charger in the rental house. Experience with charging is non-existing here, specially in Brussels. I would make sure to make the charger mobile so that you can take it with you when you leave your rental. Just make sure to fill up the holes in the wall afterwards. They are very picky about that, those landlords.... :)
In the city of Amsterdam there are as many chargers as there are in whole Belgium! So, good luck (again) with trying to find them in the Brussels' streets. As far as I know they are all payable. However, there is a SuC in Machelen, close to the airport.

Thanks! If in dire need of a charge up I suppose I'll have to use that SuC then. :)
Are there any regulations around charging a car in an underground garage *without* a proper charger, ie by just using the mobile charger that comes with the car? It is slow and unpractical, but depending on where we find a house it just might be sufficient.

Crucial question: Can you charge at your employer ? If yes, then there is probably no need for a home charger.

Thanks for the list! :)
Regarding charging at work, I don't think there is any possibillity for that. But the plan was to go to work by bike anyway, though I realize I might be overestimating the bike infrastructure as well.. 😬

"Are there any regulations around charging a car in an underground garage *without* a proper charger, ie by just using the mobile charger that comes with the car?"

Not aware of regulations, don’t think so. But if it's a public underground garage, I would refrain of using the mobile charger. There's a risk of finding back two mobile chargers when you get back to your car, if you know what I mean😂

Thanks! If in dire need of a charge up I suppose I'll have to use that SuC then. :)
Are there any regulations around charging a car in an underground garage *without* a proper charger, ie by just using the mobile charger that comes with the car? It is slow and unpractical, but depending on where we find a house it just might be sufficient.
If you find a socket in an underground garage I assume it is not allowed by the appartment owners.
Thanks for the list! :)
Regarding charging at work, I don't think there is any possibillity for that. But the plan was to go to work by bike anyway, though I realize I might be overestimating the bike infrastructure as well.. 😬
Indeed, Brussels is not really bike-friendly, although there are some small improvements lately with a green party in the Brussels government.

Do you really want to move to Brussels? Depending where you are going to live in Brussels, Flanders can be a bit more charging-friendly.

I survive almost 5 years with an EV now, without any issue ever, but I can charge at home.
If you do long distances (+30km) from Brussels, you always pass by a SuC. If not and not able to charge at home, you will still have an issue in Brussels. But if you are new in Belgium, it is strongly advised to explore the country every weekend And even the neighbour countries.

Do you really want to move to Brussels? Depending where you are going to live in Brussels, Flanders can be a bit more charging-friendly.

Yes, I really think there isn't any other option. Work is there, and the kid's school is there. And we're all pretty used to not being dependant on driving everywhere so I guess Brussels it is.

I have noticed that Van Dessel deal and I have sent them an e-mail. I will of course also sign up to the TOCB once we get settled. :)

Thanks a lot for all the helpful advice, guys! I'm a bit overwhelmed here, but not worried at all. I really am looking forward to good beer, cycling and exploring Belgium and the rest of the continent in our Tesla. :)

Hello and welcome to Belgium. You need to change your license plate no later than 6 months after moving to the country, if I'm not mistaken. Otherwise, there will be a fine. Regarding charging your car, I recommend that you better look at the map of the city in detail. When I need to find a charger for my car urgently,

Hello and welcome to Belgium. You need to change your license plate no later than 6 months after moving to the country, if I'm not mistaken. Otherwise, there will be a fine. Regarding charging your car, I recommend that you better look at the map of the city in detail. When I need to find a charger for my car urgently, I look at this site: Is Belgium A Good Place To Live? » Lopa Removals - European Removals & Moving.
Regarding installing a charger in the house, it's necessary to find out from your landlord. The rental price should not be higher. I hope you enjoy living in Belgium.

The one in Brussels (Machelen) is more like an 'almost-SuC' with top charging speeds of around 60 kW. I hope you'll find a better solution for overnight charging or at your place of employment.
Since the building of some new, huge office buildings in the street, the grid can’t supply the needed power anymore. Problem should be temporary, they say for 2 years now.

The problem for Brussels is that 80% of their electricity network is still 230V, where you need 400V for a good charging infrastructure.
Don’t agree. If you have a night time. 230 is sufficient. I have done 195000km with 230V (outside corona 45000 a year). Even no t 3x230 but monophase 32A so 7,4 kW
I charge 300 km overnight. I never needed to do two days in a row more then 300km, except on travel, an then I have the sucs.
If I need more then 300 1 day, I live on the leftover of the previous day. If I need more then 400, I have to charge anyhow on the road.
So only when I arrive empty and I need between 300 and 400 the next day, It would have been better to have more power. Well, it never happened.

Rent a house in Flanders in a town/city with direct public transport to Brussels. That will be a nicer place to live and to bike. Contrary to the French speaking, most of the Flemish people understand and speak English quite well.

And as Phil V mentions, you don’t really need a charger at home, but a 230 V socket on a separate breaker is sufficient for daily use. That will also be easier to get approval from your landlord and cheaper to install.

Welcome to Belgium and enjoy our Flemish hills when you go biking. :)

Yes, I really think there isn't any other option. Work is there, and the kid's school is there. And we're all pretty used to not being dependant on driving everywhere so I guess Brussels it is.

I have noticed that Van Dessel deal and I have sent them an e-mail. I will of course also sign up to the TOCB once we get settled. :)

Thanks a lot for all the helpful advice, guys! I'm a bit overwhelmed here, but not worried at all. I really am looking forward to good beer, cycling and exploring Belgium and the rest of the continent in our Tesla. :)
Besides the charging Brussels is a great city to live in. Excellent restaurants everywhere, great cultural events and diverse people. Don’t hold back on your plan!