Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm moving to Belgium and bringing our Tesla. What to expect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I noticed you guys revived the thread again. :)

Anyway, I suppose I owe you guys a litte update:
We did eventually get our Belgian plates. They were long over due, and I did contact both the DIV and the police telling them that they had to hurry up or they'd have to go through the hassle of fining us as well. No fines were issued, and the plates arrived one month after I should have legally switched them out.

So, with belgian plates I now have recieved both a speeding ticket (for the first time in my life) and a parking ticket. I guess I'm not so good at spotting those belgian road signs. Lessons learned.

The charging was sorted by a proper TWC once I realized the public street charging wasn't to be trusted. To often it didn't work or there were other cars parked there not charging. Anyway, TWC installed at home by a nice guy affiliated to a company called Nikola. Not cheap, but the electricity bills are payed by our employer so I'm thinking that was a good deal anyway.

As the car was bought in Norway, it came with an extra set of super soft, squishy nordic winter tyres that I have been running. Hakkapelitta R3. They are utterly useless on Belgian roads except for that one time we drove to the Ardennes to go skiiing. They're nice to have when there's a bit of frost and ice on the roads in the morning, but I suppose a slightly harder compound would be better. At motorway speeds and full regen the car wags its rear end a little that I find unsettling. It didn't do that on summer tyres. What are you using as winter tyres here?

I also managed to sort out the Van Dessel insurance deal. I found it surprisingly cheap compared to Norway, especially since I discovered there is no limit on the annual kilometers. Is it common to not have an annual limit?

I’m quite happy with the original Pirelli winter tyres
Yes, those Pirellis are probably more suitable for Belgian roads. However, as this car was bought in Norway, they come with the way much softer Hakkapelitta R3. Once these Hakkapelittas are worn out (which probably won't be long given how soft they are) I will go for some continental winter tyres instead.

“So, with belgian plates I now have recieved both a speeding ticket (for the first time in my life) and a parking ticket. I guess I'm not so good at spotting those belgian road signs. Lessons learned.”

welcome to Belgium, traffic fines are the way our National gouvernement spreads the wealth of its citizens :)

• Funny
Reactions: job-lek
“So, with belgian plates I now have recieved both a speeding ticket (for the first time in my life) and a parking ticket. I guess I'm not so good at spotting those belgian road signs. Lessons learned.”

welcome to Belgium, traffic fines are the way our National gouvernement spreads the wealth of its citizens :)
You’re lucky you didn’t decide to move to the Netherlands 😂