Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
maybe this will put an end to the ill will, conjecture and speculation
prevalent in this discussion
Tesla explains why it limits Supercharging speed after high numbers of DC charges

Why would a belated article from Electrk change something though, when it has less information that this thread?

The OP and Tesla posted the explanations in this thread. Electrek simply quoted them.

Tesla updating their guidance (manuals, stores, service centers, website...) on CHAdeMO and Supercharging according to this newly surfaced info would be good, though.

Last edited:
Why would a belated article from Electrk change something though, when it has less information that this thread?

The OP and Tesla posted the explanations in this thread. Electrek simply quoted them.
thanks for your feedback. sometimes people need to see it in print from a "credible" source. they might give the comment more currency coming from a source quoting tesla rather than some contributor here offering the same data. if I am wrong, I am sorry for adding redundant facts to the discussion.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Is anyone surprised that Tesla kept this a secret? Based on their past actions it should not be. Love the car(s), the company (corporate) - not so much.

Many, many thanks to my local Service Center (Dania Beach) where I believe everyone goes above and beyond. If it was not for the amazing job the SCs do, Tesla would have sunk long ago (IMO).

But my Tesla has been the best road trip car I've ever had--it even beats the DS-21 which was my previous favourite road trip car. I now have over 40K miles of road trips on it with some single trips over 5K miles. I would never go back to a gas car for road trips.

Nothing wrong with taking road trips in a Tesla. That's what the SC network is for. But the OP said a 1200 mile trip is short for him, which likely means it's a fairly regular thing for him, AND that he couldn't afford the extra 30 minutes a lowered max charge rate would cost him over those 6 or so SC charge sessions, to the point where he'd PREFER that his battery degrade over waiting an extra five minutes per charge session, which means his trips are very time sensitive. If you need to drive long distances and time is of the essence, then an EV is not even close to being the ideal vehicle for that situation.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Hi,

yet another Sunday spent reading TMC posts......

I don't like this - because we might run into this limitation soon.

At our Northern EU home, no problem, we have installed a specific "Tesla" plug in the garage (3 x 16 A 400 V) = ± 200 EUR.

At our Southern EU home, charging the X90D "at home" is via Schuko plug = SLOW! (actually something like 215-219 V/13A).

Installing a plug like at our other home is virtually impossible due to legislative problems, so we have been very much looking forward to a public (CHAdeMO) charging possibility in our village.

This now seems like a not so good idea - so unless we want to run into "battery throttling" we'll have to accept that arriving at home with a nearly empty battery means not being able to leave for a trip before charging the vehicle for more than THIRTY (!) hours.

NOT good - you really have to be a BIG Tesla fan not to find this extremely annoying.

Hi,

At our Northern EU home, no problem, we have installed a specific "Tesla" plug in the garage (3 x 16 A 400 V) = ± 200 EUR.

At our Southern EU home, charging the X90D "at home" is via Schuko plug = SLOW! (actually something like 215-219 V/13A).

Installing a plug like at our other home is virtually impossible due to legislative problems, so we have been very much looking forward to a public (CHAdeMO) charging possibility in our village.

This now seems like a not so good idea - so unless we want to run into "battery throttling" we'll have to accept that arriving at home with a nearly empty battery means not being able to leave for a trip before charging the vehicle for more than THIRTY (!) hours.

NOT good - you really have to be a BIG Tesla fan not to find this extremely annoying.

thanks for your feedback. sometimes people need to see it in print from a "credible" source. they might give the comment more currency coming from a source quoting tesla rather than some contributor here offering the same data. if I am wrong, I am sorry for adding redundant facts to the discussion.
Perhaps you missed the post here a few hours ago from Jon McNeill, Tesla president of sales and service? His explanation in that post is what the Electrek article quoted. The article didn't add anything to what he stated here.

Though to put it into perspective, depending on how long you keep the vehicle, how often you fast charge, and how your particular battery responds, you may never actually run into noticeable reduction in charge speed.

You realize that the impact to you, IF this were to happen, would be an extra 5 min at a supercharger. Some on this thread are making it sound catastrophic. It's not.

Please continue to use and enjoy your car :)

I actually agreed earlier with @ohmman on the point that the absolute amount this affects things certainly does matter - so I agree with this to an extent as well. If it truly is 3-5 minutes or some such number, perhaps it is not a big deal (depending on how often one charges of course). The problem here is, it is really a little hard to trust Tesla's word on that - when there is so little of that word and a precedent of not being very forthcoming about these things... (Ludicrous counters turned into limiters for all after @JonMc famously posted about their removal.)

This was not disclosed beforehand and now the figure is 5 minutes. Could it be progressive? Could they find out later they need to make it 15 minutes or something? What are the other implications of frequent DC charging to current battery chemistries? Updated guidance on charging at the very least would be welcomed from Tesla. Maybe they could even explain how they are confident that the 5 minutes is the biggest impact of DC vs. AC going forward. Lack of info has been the biggest disappointment here.

Completely separate from this is any apprehension people might have about DC charging with this knowledge due to emotional reactions. These things can bug people - emotions are tricky sometimes. If you know this action is kind of hurting your car, avoiding that action might become desired... Yet not knowing is not right either in this kind of circumstance...

Tricky.

• Informative
Reactions: Naonak
Hi,

Then you haven't been reading carefully, and this is an example of the fear mongering that will result from the "disclosures" that some are asking for. Are you planning on using the CHAdeMO and superchargers more than how 99% of Tesla owners use them? No you are not. So there is nothing to worry about. Even if you were, the worst that can happen is after many dozens of trips that your supercharging may take 5 minutes longer. Something most people wouldn't even notice. So go ahead and use the CHAdeMO when you need to, stop worrying, and enjoy your car.

You realize that the impact to you, IF this were to happen, would be an extra 5 min at a supercharger. Some on this thread are making it sound catastrophic. It's not.

Please continue to use and enjoy your car :)

We don't know, whether there are other limiters (which no one has yet triggered yet) as well.

Of course we would know whether such limiters exists, IF Tesla would tell about these kind of things in advance :rolleyes:

Then you haven't been reading carefully, and this is an example of the fear mongering that will result from the "disclosures" that some are asking for. Are you planning on using the CHAdeMO and superchargers more than how 99% of Tesla owners use them? No you are not. So there is nothing to worry about. Even if you were, the worst that can happen is after many dozens of trips that your supercharging may take 5 minutes longer. Something most people wouldn't even notice. So go ahead and use the CHAdeMO when you need to, stop worrying, and enjoy your car.

I'm not sure you are any better than unnecesary fear-mongering here. There is no way you can say that to @krouebi with any level of confidence.

The reality is, you don't know if that is true or applies to krouebi, since we don't quite understand what is going on here. Just a couple of days ago people were saying OP and the previous thread were BS - you were among them and wrong. Now that has somehow morphed into we know all there is to know?

The best thing IMO would be to say we don't know and these things we kind of think we know. People decide for themselves. The trickiness of the situation deserves acknowledgement. Just asking krouebi to "enjoy your car" is not IMO sufficient.

What is the difference between "permanently throttle charging" and "reduce future maximum fast charge rates"? LOL! To me the only difference is one is plain-spoken truth, the other sounds like marketing material Tesla would write.

But, if Tesla would put your statement verbatim on their website I'd be satisfied by that. Its not as good as "permanently throttle charging" but its close enough.
The difference is "if you fast charge". You ignored that part. I've fast charged probably 20k miles and have no throttling. It's inaccurate.

Hi,

Obviously you have to follow your own sense of what's important, but I'd suggest not worrying about it and using the CHAdeMO chargers anyway. Max charge rate is a very brief portion of any charge session, if it's ever reached at all, so even if max charge rate is reduced, the actual time increase is fairly small. As Jon said in his post, you might see a five minute increase in your SC session, which is relatively minor compared to the 30 minutes to an hour you'd be charging at a SC anyway. But again, do what's right for you and your peace of mind.