Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D Degradation Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2015 90D with 121K Miles only can manage about 215 miles at 100%, and the warranty is expiring the end of this month. I don't supercharge more than 5 times per year on average, and usually go from 80-60% daily and live in PA. I did notice, several years ago, during a 3 month repair at a Tesla -approved body shop, in the summer, that the charge ran down to less than 10% for unknown total duration (They shut off my access once I complained) .

I asked Tesla service to take a look. They acknowledge the degradation, but states the warranty does not guarantee against degradation and if there was a battery fault, I would be notified by in-car alerts. Here are my questions:

1) Could this be a calibration error fixable by charging from <10% to 100%? I tried this in the past without much success.
2) Should I just accept that this is not a warranty issue? Or I have recourse?
3) Should I expect further significant degradation over the next year or worse, a battery failure?

Thanks for the past advice from the Community!

and usually go from 80-60% daily and live in PA.
This is probably contributing TBH. Give that car a fighting chance to calculate its actual capacity by running it through a complete ~5-100% charge cycle with some regularity.

But no, you have no recourse. It is not a warranty issue. You're unlikely to get back any significant amount of range, but you're also unlikely to see a continued steep decline.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
There is likely a calibration error that will give back some range due to the calculations if you charge up to 90% or more, and maybe run down to about 20% -- but why? This does not really add any range you don't already have. Maybe it will make you feel better? Anyway, your battery may fail tomorrow, and it may fail years from now, but there isn't anything better that you could be doing. Enjoy your car.

Reactions: cousin_IT
My 2015 90D with 121K Miles only can manage about 215 miles at 100%, and the warranty is expiring the end of this month. I don't supercharge more than 5 times per year on average, and usually go from 80-60% daily and live in PA. I did notice, several years ago, during a 3 month repair at a Tesla -approved body shop, in the summer, that the charge ran down to less than 10% for unknown total duration (They shut off my access once I complained) .

I asked Tesla service to take a look. They acknowledge the degradation, but states the warranty does not guarantee against degradation and if there was a battery fault, I would be notified by in-car alerts. Here are my questions:

1) Could this be a calibration error fixable by charging from <10% to 100%? I tried this in the past without much success.
2) Should I just accept that this is not a warranty issue? Or I have recourse?
3) Should I expect further significant degradation over the next year or worse, a battery failure?

Thanks for the past advice from the Community!

My 2015 90D with 121K Miles only can manage about 215 miles at 100%, and the warranty is expiring the end of this month.
Same for me, the 90 packs seem to degrade faster than other batteries 🙁

Projected range was 484 km when I bought the car 3 years ago and now 466. Based on this data the degradation was 3,7% (total) or 1,25% per year.

Note: Mileage and range in the graph below are in kilometers, not miles

1694524721597.png