Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you Do Not Order Autopilot Convenience Features do you get Cruise Control?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One feature that was described on a video was that there would be some sort of haptic feedback where the steering wheel would resist if the car though you were turning into something. Available now or later?

RAW84 - commercial planes absolutely can (and do) land on their own. Take-off is also possible. Taxi is not yet. And while I appreciate he never stated it would take you from A to B, you have to admit there was a wink and a nod there. He would roll his eyes, practically throw up the "air quotes" and say "on private property" but the clear indication (or at least *wink wink hint hint nudge nudge*) was that the car can do it, the law won't let it.

Not that I really care if it can get me from home to destination. I want to drive the car. But it greatly devalues the "cool" factor if 90% of what I thought it could do, it can't.

One feature that was described on a video was that there would be some sort of haptic feedback where the steering wheel would resist if the car though you were turning into something. Available now or later?

Lane departure warning?

Not if you turn into something, if you drift out of lane.

And that's now. It doesn't resist, but it vibrates. It's a love it or hate it feature. I love it. My wife loves it. Plenty of people on TMC hate it. It's somewhat sensitive, and goes off BEFORE you drift out of lane (as you would expect it to), but some people like to use the full width of their lane, and then it tends to give them more false alarms than it should.

Ok, thanks. I got the impression (perhaps just my over active imagination) that it was not just lane departure, but also the sonar sensors and would "prevent" (resist and/or vibrate) if there was something in your blind spot that you might be hitting. I specifically recall Mr. Musk saying it would resist your efforts to turn, but that you could certainly overpower it. I'll try to dig up what video that was.

Ok, thanks. I got the impression (perhaps just my over active imagination) that it was not just lane departure, but also the sonar sensors and would "prevent" (resist and/or vibrate) if there was something in your blind spot that you might be hitting. I specifically recall Mr. Musk saying it would resist your efforts to turn, but that you could certainly overpower it. I'll try to dig up what video that was.

Blind spot monitoring. It has that too, but it only beeps at you and shows 2 red lines on the dash. I've had it go off twice so far, and neither time has the car resisted anything, lol.

Here are the words from the horse's mouth:
It, it'll warn you with sort of initially a a a visual warning if there's a potential collision risk, like so it'll sort of turn it turn the object red, and then it will give you an audible warning if you don't see that and of course it'll, it'll, it'll resist steering into things that it thinks are a danger. So you can still overpower the the steering but its gonna give you a tactile feedback that you you're probably uh headed toward something that the car thinks may be dangerous
source

Here are the words from the horse's mouth:
source

I had read that as a layer of enhancement over the blind spot monitoring in place today that gets deployed with AP, or at least lane-steering. Until lane-steering TACC is available (which I personally don't think will happen until AP comes out), I can understand that Tesla will not turn on any steering resistance features beyond the Settings page for Comfort, Standard, Sport.

If I were to order today I would not pre-order autopilot given the option to activate it once they actually have the features done. Given the option I'd rather pay the extra few bucks to activate it later once they actually have something to sell rather than give Tesla an indefinite interest free loan like I did with my P85D.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, the major reason (besides cost) that I wouldn't upgrade my early P85 to a new model or even to an MX is due to the current TACC implementation - aka, it's limited to 75mph. I had a loaner last week and this was KILLING me that I couldn't set cruise control higher than 75mph. Going 75mph on the NJ Turnpike is SLOWWWWWW even people in the slow lane were passing me. Its awful.

Hmm... I've set it to 90 MPH before without issue.

If I were to order today I would not pre-order autopilot given the option to activate it once they actually have the features done. Given the option I'd rather pay the extra few bucks to activate it later once they actually have something to sell rather than give Tesla an indefinite interest free loan like I did with my P85D.
I get what you're saying, but those "extra few bucks" are exactly why it isn't an "interest free loan". You're getting something for your investment. Whether or not that's worth it is a risk/benefit analysis that each has to do. For me it is a little exaggerated because of the USD/CAD difference. Right now it is $2800 or $3400 after delivery. I'm assuming I can't hold them to that "after delivery" price and I'd probably have to pay whatever the price is at the time. Since it is expected CAD prices my increase 20% in the near future to account for the recent rapid decline in our dollar, that could mean the after price might be $4000 or more. Say the benefits are realized within 3 years... that means I get a $1200 "return" on my $2800 "investment", which is 12.613% APR and that's not bad. If it happens sooner, the rate is higher. If it happens later, it is lower. If it doesn't happen at all... that's the risk.

For you, it is $2500 or $3000. With same parameters, you're facing a 3yr apr of 6.26% and that's still not terrible.

Actually the autopilot only has ACC and auto-highbeams at the moment.

The rest may or may not come out at some unknown point in the unknown future.

Isn't there an Automated Emergency Braking feature that got introduced after Autopilot hardware?

Wondering if this is a third Autopilot feature, or, if non-Autopilot hardware cars do it. (My classic P85 has not received this upgrade, or more to the point, I have see no mention of it during upgrades)

Admittedly the AEB is not something people will rush to test out :)

My neighbour did with his 2015 Ford Expedition (I think that's the model anyway, I'm not a Ford fan). First day of owning it he decided to try to ram a car in front of him to see how well it worked. The good news is it worked... no accident. The bad news is I think he had a small bowel movement. It was, apparently, a little too close for his comfort.

I get what you're saying, but those "extra few bucks" are exactly why it isn't an "interest free loan". You're getting something for your investment. Whether or not that's worth it is a risk/benefit analysis that each has to do. For me it is a little exaggerated because of the USD/CAD difference. Right now it is $2800 or $3400 after delivery. I'm assuming I can't hold them to that "after delivery" price and I'd probably have to pay whatever the price is at the time. Since it is expected CAD prices my increase 20% in the near future to account for the recent rapid decline in our dollar, that could mean the after price might be $4000 or more. Say the benefits are realized within 3 years... that means I get a $1200 "return" on my $2800 "investment", which is 12.613% APR and that's not bad. If it happens sooner, the rate is higher. If it happens later, it is lower. If it doesn't happen at all... that's the risk.

For you, it is $2500 or $3000. With same parameters, you're facing a 3yr apr of 6.26% and that's still not terrible.

Oh personally I don't particularly care how the numbers actually work out. On principal, if I had the option when I ordered, I would rather have waited and paid for activation when they actually have it ready rather than sit here and be irritated that they have my money for something they're not delivering so far over 7 months later.

Isn't there an Automated Emergency Braking feature that got introduced after Autopilot hardware?

Wondering if this is a third Autopilot feature, or, if non-Autopilot hardware cars do it. (My classic P85 has not received this upgrade, or more to the point, I have see no mention of it during upgrades)

I could be wrong, but I believe all safety features are standard now

I had read that as a layer of enhancement over the blind spot monitoring in place today that gets deployed with AP, or at least lane-steering. Until lane-steering TACC is available (which I personally don't think will happen until AP comes out), I can understand that Tesla will not turn on any steering resistance features beyond the Settings page for Comfort, Standard, Sport.

It makes sense that "resisting turning into danger" might be an enhancement that comes after auto-steer capabilities are activated (since resisting is basically auto-steering slightly in the opposite direction you're trying to turn).

I use TACC for at least an hour a day 5 days a week. So far it's been well worth it for me in heavy traffic. I'd say I've already gotten my money's worth in 1 month even without other autopilot features. On more rural two lane roads it's still nice, but not a killer feature and I wouldn't miss it too much if that was my primary driving. There I just dial the distance up to 7 and relax.

Auto-parking (parallel and in-stall) should come with that update.

Greet you at your door has been publicized a lot, but I have no idea if that's coming with the next update, or if that'll be released in a very distant future.

I've seen statements that explicitly say parallel parking is in the next release, but not garage/traditional parking. Can you point me to a source?

I too can confirm that TACC can be set at speeds at least up to 90, although I'm sure I must not have been the one driving at that speed. ;)

The latest iOS and android apps let you send a referral email. They say auto steer and parallel parking in a few weeks, and summon and self park in a few months. Here is the excerpt -

Coming in a few weeks via an over-the-air update are the highway autosteer and parallel autopark functions. When asked, the car will automatically control steering going down the freeway, dramatically reducing driver workload. It will also automatically parallel park with precision.

In a few months, you will be able to press a button on your Tesla phone app and the car will open your garage and put itself to bed. You will also be able to summon it from your garage if it isn't plugged in. It needs the Tesla Snakebot for that! https://twitter.com/TeslaMotors/status/629305813912326146