Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you Do Not Order Autopilot Convenience Features do you get Cruise Control?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, the major reason (besides cost) that I wouldn't upgrade my early P85 to a new model or even to an MX is due to the current TACC implementation - aka, it's limited to 75mph. I had a loaner last week and this was KILLING me that I couldn't set cruise control higher than 75mph. Going 75mph on the NJ Turnpike is SLOWWWWWW even people in the slow lane were passing me. Its awful.

Perhaps it was because it was a loaner. I've had loaners and was able to set TACC at 90.

Or maybe it was personal :). 'Oh, it's that yobig guy. Yeah, lower the limits. Stat!'

Perhaps it was because it was a loaner. I've had loaners and was able to set TACC at 90.

Or maybe it was personal :). 'Oh, it's that yobig guy. Yeah, lower the limits. Stat!'

It's probably the latter haha I did tell them last year that their loaner they gave me needed tire balancing because the steering wheel shuddered when going higher than 85mph. lol

Well that's good that TACC does go higher. I was under the impression that it was a fleet wide software cap due to hardware limitations (like not having enough cpu processing for quick response time when going higher than 75mph). Good to know that I was wrong.

In looking over my upcoming build, I was pondering the Autopilot Convenience Features (ACF) package...

Just about the only features in that package that I would desire are the on/off high beams and the TACC Traffic Aware Cruise Control.

I began to wonder, what type of Cruise Control do you get, if any, if you do not order the ACF?

Plain old cruise control is more than good enough for me and I could always add the ACF feature if desired at a future time (it is retrofittable).

Plain old cruise, and for the love of god man, order the AutoPilot.

For the love of your wallet don't waste your hard earned dollars "pre-ordering" Autopilot. Wait until its delivered and debugged. IF you like what you see then, enable it. Paying for vaporware is a fools game (I know cause I was fooled), and it only encourages Tesla's worst habits.

I haven't used cruise control... um... ever, in any car. When I order my second S in a few months, my plan is to get everything *except* the autopilot, the rear seats (have them on my current car and loved them for the two years my kids were the right age), and the cold package. I'll pay the extra $500 in two years if I decide I really want self-parking.

The hardware is there on all builds autopilot functionality can be added for $3k after delivery according to the Design Studio.

I see. I thought they were still having two versions. My mistake.

They should refund the dollar amount of the software then and let people reorder at the lower price when software finalized.

I haven't used cruise control... um... ever, in any car. When I order my second S in a few months, my plan is to get everything *except* the autopilot, the rear seats (have them on my current car and loved them for the two years my kids were the right age), and the cold package. I'll pay the extra $500 in two years if I decide I really want self-parking.

I haven't used CC in any of my cars either. I love ACC though.

Any particular reason why? I'm genuinely curious. My internal model for not paying $2500 for it now is that I won't ever want to pay the $3000 later.

In traffic (not bumper to bumper, but let's say crowded traffic and everyone is going 70mph), CC sucks. You constantly have to intervene. If I'm intervening, I leave it off. It doesn't give me the "less fatigue" that ACC does, since I don't want to worry about it. Actually the opposite with CC, I feel I need to be MORE involved in driving the car than if I were to drive the car on my own without CC. Hence me never using it. With ACC, when traffic gets lighter, it speeds me up, when traffic gets thicker, it slows me down. I can leave my foot completely off the pedals for hundreds of miles, and I have.

Or putting the above point in a different way: with regular CC I still need to be more... aware of the surroundings. With ACC I can... relax a little more knowing the car will slow down if there is a car in front of me. I'm not saying that means you can look away from the road and start reading a book, but it's definitely more hands off*.

*My wife gives me crap for this, I was looking for another manual transmission car where I could control a lot of things, and went with Tesla instead and use TACC and awaiting auto-steering.

Last edited:
Fair enough.

I think I probably need to drive TACC a bit to convince myself I want it. I seem to have a visceral and negative feeling about the whole idea.
I can heartily recommend TACC. I've never used the CC in my other cars because it only works when there are no other cars on the road. With TACC, I use it all of the time... on the highway as well as local roads. In heavy traffic, it will even follow stop and go jams. On a recent trip driving to Seattle (don't ever try to drive into Seattle in the afternoon), I used the TACC during two hours of stop and go traffic on the freeway and it was just so much easier. The car would precisely accelerate, decelerate and even stop to follow the car in front with the set interval. Much easier than manual control. I had much less worry about running into the car in front of me because the TACC worked so well.

I don't mean this to be an anti-autopilot post, but it's a matter of a software update/cost later on down the road and I had to make the choice again, I'd opt out of two options above for now. No offense meant for Tesla, but the other features aren't even released yet and we dont know how long it will take for them to iron out the remainder of the bugs. They have admitted that it is still reading lines wrong in the road as recently as last week. But here is a newsflash: it was doing that back in November/December of last year when it first came out. Skid marks, poorly painted lines, wet spots, and snow tracks all threw the lane departure in a tizzy.

I wonder why it can't just alert the driver and stop autopilot if the lines can't be read. No car will be able to see all lines in all conditions.

I just want to be clear because I just put down a deposit this morning with Autopilot:

So the whole "on private property" the car being able to get out of my garage, meet me at my door, drive me to my... umm... "barn" and then park itself in the garage... that's all BS for now?

I developed an adaptive cruise control for a different car about 6 years ago, so I can appreciate the difficulty and expense, and even if the $2500 is just for that it is pretty good value. I mean, considering they charge some $4500 for wheels you can grab aftermarket for half that or less... there isn't any aftermarket ACC you can get at any price.

But still, I was basing my decision on the videos I saw produced by Tesla that certainly had me believing I could actually go from A to B without touching the wheel or pedal. Perhaps not legally, but I thought it could technically do that. OK maybe I should feel silly if that was naivety, but I need to know what I'm paying for and I'm a little disappointed in my purchase decision if I just got "fooled" by Mr. Musk. I mean those videos weren't exactly posted yesterday and they didn't seem to indicate a far off feature. My bad for not looking into it better though.

So someone be straight... what exactly are you getting right now with that package?

Right now you get TACC and auto-high beams. That's it.

TACC works pretty well, auto-high beams work great.

Musk said at the last conference call that the auto-steering will start to roll out to Beta testers on 8/15, and public release in 1-2 months after that. Take that with a grain of salt, Tesla has never been on time for anything.

Auto-parking (parallel and in-stall) should come with that update.

Greet you at your door has been publicized a lot, but I have no idea if that's coming with the next update, or if that'll be released in a very distant future.

I just want to be clear because I just put down a deposit this morning with Autopilot:

So the whole "on private property" the car being able to get out of my garage, meet me at my door, drive me to my... umm... "barn" and then park itself in the garage... that's all BS for now?

I developed an adaptive cruise control for a different car about 6 years ago, so I can appreciate the difficulty and expense, and even if the $2500 is just for that it is pretty good value. I mean, considering they charge some $4500 for wheels you can grab aftermarket for half that or less... there isn't any aftermarket ACC you can get at any price.

But still, I was basing my decision on the videos I saw produced by Tesla that certainly had me believing I could actually go from A to B without touching the wheel or pedal. Perhaps not legally, but I thought it could technically do that. OK maybe I should feel silly if that was naivety, but I need to know what I'm paying for and I'm a little disappointed in my purchase decision if I just got "fooled" by Mr. Musk. I mean those videos weren't exactly posted yesterday and they didn't seem to indicate a far off feature. My bad for not looking into it better though.

So someone be straight... what exactly are you getting right now with that package?

I am not an owner but heard that same buzz a while ago and was pretty impressed. It sounds like the private property thing is functional now but is sort of a use at your own risk/may or may not be activated in the cars. I would check with your local store or call headquarters to be sure. But I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, it sounds like one of those things that if it's not currently available, it will be downloaded to your car eventually. What I'd like to know is whether the autopilot beta in a couple weeks is for 10 people, or if it's going to be for 1000, and of course if those people are going to be able to talk about it?

Right now, auto pilot hasn't been rolled out, but in the videos I've seen since it was announced 10 or so months ago, Elon has explicitly stated you wouldn't be able to "go from point A to point B" automatically. It's always been marketed as a feature that would be best for the 80% of the driving between your destinations, but the driver would take over as you got closer to the end points. I believe he likened it to a autopilot on an airplane. I have never flown an airplane, but I've always assumed the pilot would manually (even if guided heavily by advanced instruments) handle take offs and landings and autopilot was used once we reached cruising altitudes. Thus, although it appears Tesla's autopilot will be able to handle city roads, I don't think I'd use it outside of highway trips.