Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I’m scared to drive my new Tesla in the winter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My last 2 Teslas are the best winter cars I've ever owned. I go out in horrible conditions just to have fun, the weight of the Tesla makes it unstoppable.

I'm assuming people with issues don't have very good car control skills, or get scared when their cars exhibit the slightest bit of slipping. Familiarize yourselves with opposite lock.

Hey guys, my post was stating my experience and concerns with Tesla model Y. I used to own BMW, Lexus, before my Y. I was able to relate to the road, enjoy the drive and drive safely in terrible conditions [severe down pour/snow].

The car actually drove well the first winter in 2020. Something changed in early 2021. On reading this forum, it appears Tesla tweaked some settings to maximize mileage, perhaps that is the reason for this unsafe, disconnected drive. Apparently there used to be a mode to turn off regen in winter, but this option was also removed by Tesla? Since early 2021, was when the problem started. Actually, we are having better and better winter conditions [less snowy days and less snow accumulation] for the past 3 years.

I have seen several posts in this forum where people seem to have the opinion that if someone posts a negative driving experience, then the driver must be a novice, doesn't know how to drive, doesn't understand how regen works etc. This is not a piss off contest. This is not a; I am a better driver and you do not know how to drive forum.

We are posting here so we can help each other and understand good/bad things about the car, so we can all make informed decisions about this car. Thank you for those with informative and positive comments. And also, thanks for the know-it-all comments, will try to glean what you are trying to convey in your post.

Hey guys, my post was stating my experience and concerns with Tesla model Y. I used to own BMW, Lexus, before my Y. I was able to relate to the road, enjoy the drive and drive safely in terrible conditions [severe down pour/snow].

The car actually drove well the first winter in 2020. Something changed in early 2021. On reading this forum, it appears Tesla tweaked some settings to maximize mileage, perhaps that is the reason for this unsafe, disconnected drive. Apparently there used to be a mode to turn off regen in winter, but this option was also removed by Tesla? Since early 2021, was when the problem started. Actually, we are having better and better winter conditions [less snowy days and less snow accumulation] for the past 3 years.

I have seen several posts in this forum where people seem to have the opinion that if someone posts a negative driving experience, then the driver must be a novice, doesn't know how to drive, doesn't understand how regen works etc. This is not a piss off contest. This is not a; I am a better driver and you do not know how to drive forum.

We are posting here so we can help each other and understand good/bad things about the car, so we can all make informed decisions about this car. Thank you for those with informative and positive comments. And also, thanks for the know-it-all comments, will try to glean what you are trying to convey in your post.

Is there a "less" re gen mode, If so I missed it. We had heavy snow today, unplowed roads. I do get what the OP is saying about the rear end but it only seems to last a second where the rear is wanting to oversteer slightly, I just count it up to the traction control . I decided to test it a bit by trying the wrong thing- and that was applying a bit more throttle and it seems to control the rear and pull it back in alignment but there is that initial slight tail happy second in time that other 4x4's don't exhibit.
I have 18" Nordman 7 studded Nokians and have driven it in such deep unplowed snow I managed to rip off the free factory front mud flaps. Luckily I did find them and will reinstall.
Agree the MY is the best AWD winter car I have ever owned. I still Like my Jeeps over the bad winter years when things get deep. I should try some track mode settings out as well.

Hope you can find a workable way to keep the Y.

I have to think Tesla 'could' add a snow mode and program out that initial rear end tail happy feeling if they were motivated to do so.

I strongly suggest Off Road Assist when there is snow on the road. It changes power/regen to 50/50 front/rear, providing much better traction and eliminating fishtailing.
Thanks, I am going to try it out.
So it also disables traction control. Interesting, These Tesla's are such a kick, just when I think I have used most features someone points out another option/ ability.

From the Model Y User Manual

To Set the Regenerative Braking Level​

Note:
The regenerative braking setting is not available on all vehicles.
You can use the touchscreen to change the level of regenerative braking:
  1. Touch Controls > Pedals & Steering > Regenerative Braking.
  2. Choose from two levels:
    • Low: Limits regenerative braking. When you release the accelerator, Model Y takes longer to slow down and coasts farther than if set to "Standard".
    • Standard: Provides the maximum amount of regenerative braking. When you release the accelerator, Model Y slows down, reducing the need to use the brakes.
Right after this is a section on Stopping Mode: Creep, Hold, and Roll for vehicles manufactured before January 2024.

From the Model Y User Manual

To Set the Regenerative Braking Level​

Note:
The regenerative braking setting is not available on all vehicles.
You can use the touchscreen to change the level of regenerative braking:
  1. Touch Controls > Pedals & Steering > Regenerative Braking.
  2. Choose from two levels:
    • Low: Limits regenerative braking. When you release the accelerator, Model Y takes longer to slow down and coasts farther than if set to "Standard".
    • Standard: Provides the maximum amount of regenerative braking. When you release the accelerator, Model Y slows down, reducing the need to use the brakes.
Right after this is a section on Stopping Mode: Creep, Hold, and Roll for vehicles manufactured before January 2024.
Our 23 MY does not have this option. The only time we get reduced regen, is if it's below ~30 degrees, or it's charged over 95%.

Reactions: 455dan
It's more EPA range games.

Yup. No option, no purchase. (Same with any car with ACC and no fallback to CC.)

My Kona has 4 levels, which allows adjustment to preference. I use 3 (max), my wife 0 (coast) which allows adjusting to preference.
But Hyundai also plays the game, as it makes my wife select Sport and 0 every time she drives it, while Eco is sticky, and you can save the 3 setting as a mode default for Eco, which I did.

Supposedly a s3xy button can still adjust it.

I do think it’s crazy that Tesla removed that option from the screen for some vehicles.
S3XY button does allow for 0~100% regen adjustments in 25% increments. It's nice to have this option, but I've never actually used it because I got totally used to using regen braking in all weather conditions. If anything I want stronger regen. The only times I deactivated regen using S3XY buttons was when I setup my car to drive more like an ICE for my daughter when she was practicing on her learner's permit.