Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hyundai and KIA are on the NACS train now!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

smogne41

Jun 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
Finally!

Hyundai_Ioniq_5_IAA_2021_1X7A0189.jpg

"Hyundai Ioniq 5 IAA 2021 1X7A0189" by Alexander Migl is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Awesome. Been waiting for this. Sounds like all HMG EVs by Q4 in 2024 will come with NACS ports.

Had a chance to sit in a KIA EV9 and it's amazing. Now with this news, that seals the deal.

Exciting times.

This news pleasantly surprises me. That Hyundai will begin NACS-compatible vehicles in a year is pretty astounding for turning around three brands of production. Perhaps they’ve been planning this for awhile, but still impressive to me. Sadly, this doesn’t help my 2023 Ioniq5 but I’ll manage somehow.

So who does that leave off of NACS - VW (and Audi) is the biggest name I can think of. Not surprising as they back Electrify America. They also have a significant number of EVs on the road. Aside from them, Lucid and Toyota are the main names I can think of. (Does Chrysler even have an EV?)

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
This news pleasantly surprises me. That Hyundai will begin NACS-compatible vehicles in a year is pretty astounding for turning around three brands of production. Perhaps they’ve been planning this for awhile, but still impressive to me. Sadly, this doesn’t help my 2023 Ioniq5 but I’ll manage somehow.
Sure it helps, you will just have to use the adapter. Not ideal perhaps, but pretty good!

Reactions: GSP
So who does that leave off of NACS - VW (and Audi) is the biggest name I can think of. Not surprising as they back Electrify America. They also have a significant number of EVs on the road. Aside from them, Lucid and Toyota are the main names I can think of. (Does Chrysler even have an EV?)
Chrysler/Jeep have a few plug-in hybrids right now, and apparently are readying the RAM EV truck, and possible a EV replacement for the Charger. I haven't heard anything about Stellantis adopting NACS though. They're usually the last to board the train though, so I expect they'll hold out longer than the others.

A heat pump is not going to help you that much in Texas :p
It absolutely does - it gets colder than 70°F several days during Winter here! ;)

And, a heat pump is more efficient even in mild temperatures when only dehumidification is required. On mild, but humid days (of which there are plenty of those here) without a heat pump, the vehicle has to chill the air using a compressor then reheat it using less efficient electrical resistance heating. Tesla's heat pump, on the other hand, uses only the compressor to dehumidify the air by chilling it then reheating similar to how a portable dehumidifier works.

The major remaining ones I can think of are:
  • VW/Audi/Porsche
  • BMW
  • Toyota/Lexus and Subaru
  • Stellantis
  • Lucid
  • Mazda
Jeep and Chrysler have plug in hybrids, but nothing with DC fast charging.

The major remaining ones I can think of are:
  • VW/Audi/Porsche
  • BMW
  • Toyota/Lexus and Subaru
  • Stellantis
  • Lucid
  • Mazda
Jeep and Chrysler have plug in hybrids, but nothing with DC fast charging.

Toyota/Lexus, Subaru, and Mazda barely make any EVs anyway. And don't make any yet that anybody in their right mind would actually buy :)
That was my thought -Mazda only has a plug in hybrid that I know of. Toyota, Lexus and Subaru all share a platform and I think there's only one model for each - with pretty crappy range. Toyota and Lexus have several plug-in hybrids, though. BMW has several models, though.

VW probably makes more than all the others combined.

Reactions: Falcon73
With all these manufacturers using the Super Chargers, would it not creates longer wait for Tesla owners?
Tesla has to ramp up in building more SC stations.
Having the same connector doesn’t automatically mean they can use superchargers but your concern is shared by many. One of the big (huge) advantages of Tesla is their large, reliable charging network that is seamlessly integrated into the car. Suddenly clogging it up with a bunch of non-teslas would create headaches and actually decrease the value of the car.

There are some superchargers that have a couple bays available to non-Teslas. My understanding is that this was required for Tesla to receive federal EV charging infrastructure funds.

My guess is that the biggest advantage of the NACS standard for us (aside from it being a better, more elegant solution) is that it will be easier for Teslas to charge at other sites.

Of course if VW persists with CCS then the Electrify America network may well stay CCS and we’ll have another VHS/Beta situation. Hopefully VW will switch as well and we can have one standard. That would be better for everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
Having the same connector doesn’t automatically mean they can use superchargers but your concern is shared by many. One of the big (huge) advantages of Tesla is their large, reliable charging network that is seamlessly integrated into the car. Suddenly clogging it up with a bunch of non-teslas would create headaches and actually decrease the value of the car.

There are some superchargers that have a couple bays available to non-Teslas. My understanding is that this was required for Tesla to receive federal EV charging infrastructure funds.

My guess is that the biggest advantage of the NACS standard for us (aside from it being a better, more elegant solution) is that it will be easier for Teslas to charge at other sites.

Of course if VW persists with CCS then the Electrify America network may well stay CCS and we’ll have another VHS/Beta situation. Hopefully VW will switch as well and we can have one standard. That would be better for everyone.
EA already announced they will be adding NACS (back in June). Not clear how many connectors per site though. I would guess most though, since electrically NACS=CCS and NACS cars are a far larger potential market.