Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How would you rate the Model S?

How would you rate the Model S?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla was the first American car company to successfully launch an IPO since Ford in 1956.

I also wouldn't compare delivering the Roadster to building your own car from the ground up. Lotus had all of the manufacturing expertise and built the Roadster for Tesla using Tesla's design though.

Last edited:
Considering that the next-youngest American car company was founded in 1920-something, I think Tesla Motors still qualifies as "new kid". And 2500 purchases is not "a lot" by automotive standards.

With Coda & Fisker releasing cars recently how many "kids" live on the block? I guess these are not American auto companies in your Tesla-centric mindset?

So basically, you take them not repeating it as them admitting defeat that the Model S is not the best car in the world? When I hear "best" that immediately is a red flag that a company is using gimmicks to try to attract customers. I can understand best being used in a non specific sense, but no company will ever say best car in the world (except maybe Rolls-Royce who will remark "More then Adequate" when asked about the specs of their car).....

I think about it in the same way as I thought about Mercedes-Benz's "The Best or Nothing" campaign or BMW's long-time slogan, "The Ultimate Driving Machine." Car companies use superlatives in order to describe themselves and their products, it's not new. Gimmicks or marketing, it all depends on how one wants to value it. Regardless, Tesla isn't the only, or even the first, to claim to be the the best.

Beyond that, I don't imagine that there is an agreed upon "best car in the world." Name a car and I'm sure that there's going to be something less than superlative about it.

After driving the Model S, and taking into account my feeling that there's no such thing as "The Best Car in The World," I think that it's remarkable that Tesla's managed to make a vehicle that's worthy to at least be part of the discussion about the best car might be.

I selected 3, but I actually wish I had selected 4. My initial tepid response was more a reaction to my test drive compared to the lofty expectations I put on the car based on the reviews and all the wonderful remarks everyone had gushed about the Model S. I was expecting to be blown away and I really wasn't. It was an awesome ride, but just wasn't some mind blowing experience. If a 3 is average, than clearly the Model S is not an average car. It's deserving of a 4. It still needs an improved interior, and still has to be put to the test for longer use, but I can't envision myself getting any other car but the Model S for my next one.

I selected 3, but I actually wish I had selected 4. My initial tepid response was more a reaction to my test drive compared to the lofty expectations I put on the car based on the reviews and all the wonderful remarks everyone had gushed about the Model S. I was expecting to be blown away and I really wasn't. It was an awesome ride, but just wasn't some mind blowing experience. If a 3 is average, than clearly the Model S is not an average car. It's deserving of a 4. It still needs an improved interior, and still has to be put to the test for longer use, but I can't envision myself getting any other car but the Model S for my next one.

I would have given it a 4.75 if that was an option. There are still some things that need addressing with it but it's a fantastic car. Basically, I rounded up.

Ok. Even then, maybe they should say 'one of the best cars in the world' but the reviews so far have really positive and largely backup up this claim. Is it the best car in the world? Probably not but that's subjective anyway and maybe it's the best car in the world to the people working on it at Tesla. Anyone who buys any product with this kind of claim without doing research themselves will probably be very disappointed with many of their purschases.
If the Model S is not the best car then what is the best car? I don't mind them claiming the best car ("in every dimension that matters") if they can back up their claim. Do you think that they can't back up their claim "in every dimension that matters"? For me the best car can't be an ICE car. That rules out Audi, BMW, or even Bugatti Veyron for that matter. And between EV's, there is nothing else close to the Model S (IMO). Except for the Tesla roadster, of course.

I'm not saying I am a Tesla fanboy. I am actually one of the few who most criticized Tesla for the "brick" problem. The problem was however promptly addressed to my satisfaction. But I've gotta give credit where credit is due.
At least that's how I see it before the test drive. Will see what happens after the test drive.

If the Model S is not the best car then what is the best car? I don't mind them claiming the best car ("in every dimension that matters") if they can back up their claim. Do you think that they can't back up their claim "in every dimension that matters"? For me the best car can't be an ICE car. That rules out Audi, BMW, or even Bugatti Veyron for that matter. And between EV's, there is nothing else close to the Model S (IMO). Except for the Tesla roadster, of course.

I'm not saying I am a Tesla fanboy. I am actually one of the few who most criticized Tesla for the "brick" problem. The problem was however promptly addressed to my satisfaction. But I've gotta give credit where credit is due.
At least that's how I see it before the test drive. Will see what happens after the test drive.

I have no idea what the best car in the world and it would be different for each person anyway. There is no one best car in the world for everyone. I think the Model S may indeed be one of the best cars in the world for me but time will tell.

I have no idea what the best car in the world and it would be different for each person anyway. There is no one best car in the world for everyone. I think the Model S may indeed be one of the best cars in the world for me but time will tell.

"Best" is subjective anyway and is up to the opinion of the driver. It's a marketing term at best.

For me, I just finished paying off my Mustang and it would behoove me to stay debt free (except my mortgage of course :( ). However this car is so inspiring to me and is the "Best" in my eyes that I am willing to go back into vehicle payments for it. Otherwise I wouldn't bother with the luxury segment as I have no interest and all other vehicles bore me, I am not a car guy.

I think the term "Best" should be taken with a grain of salt. I will say that reviewers at least concur that this car can contend with the best of the cars in the industry and with Tesla being so small, isn't that something that seemed impossible by itself?

Credit were credit is due.