Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Model S Owner/Taillight question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PhillyCJ

Owner of RDD Photo/Tesla Model S Long Range Plus
Sep 12, 2023
Fresno, CA
This is my first created thread, thanks for having me; I just bought my first tesla after considering/plotting on a Model S for the past couple years while i was starting my business; I always said when I got my finances together i wanted a Model S, and proud to say Labor Day I went and picked up
My first Tesla. Its not brand new, I purchased after a 3 yr lease but I just bought a late build yr (Birthday stamp Oct 2020) Tesla Model S “Long Range Plus”, just bought it and am really enjoying everything but the one thing im not a fan of is the taillights;
I would love to have a clean LED set but if not possible ima tint them i guess prolly, I love my first Tesla and am all setup and got it just about done w/ a ppf wrap/ceramic coating on white interior/tints/etc after 3 wks of ownership but do i have any options to change these tail lights to some’n a lil more attractive? Id really like a set of LEDs, but have heard something about a “refreshed taillight” possibly although am brand new so dont know if they can be installed on my current model; Anybody have any ideas? You guys like the smoked taillight look? And is that my only option? Also not sure if that’d effect the long range battery life in anyway, id imagine not much if at all. Really enjoying the car, i wish the glass top was transparent glass or we
Least had the option, that’d be a real nice luxury touch in my opinion since can no longer have a panoramic top but overall im extremely happy w/ my purchase and dont regret it.:just now that i own it finally im noticing the little things that would take a model S from a great car to legendary; I honestly like to see the stars thru my roof tho and lowkey was disappointed there was no retractable roof option, but also wanted the long range model/battery pack so i can live without it (sunroof) for those reasons. While shopping for my first EV i saw the lexus that can turn the top translucent at a push of a button (the 500E)..ida def paid for that option if was available; The lexus was considerably more money than the model S, brand new, and not really what i was in the market for but that feature was super attractive especially when i just happened to take the test drive at sunset/twilight; Anyway, love my model S but these lights remind me
Of something off a car made in the 2000’s, not a 2020/2021; Any ideas? Appreciate any replies, thanks in advance and appreciate your time and advice on the matter..You guys be safe out there 🙏🏼

Attachments

• IMG_4085.jpeg
    IMG_4085.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_4160.jpeg
    IMG_4160.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_4158.jpeg
    IMG_4158.jpeg
    901.7 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_4155.jpeg
    IMG_4155.jpeg
    426 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Tbh if i could put a nicer set of headlights on it i prolly would drop the coin there too but i dont hate the headlights really, hopefully we got some kinda option for the back tho; Appreciate any info if anybody know of any options or if theres a newer version i could poss pick up thru tesla’s performance shop; Thanks again guys

Upvote 0
I found this but too expensive
And these don't have amber turn signal for our US cars
just cleaner solid led light bars

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Upvote 0
Alpharex is working on a headlight and taillight for the Model S.

There was a prototype of Alpharex's headlight at T Sportline's booth at Tesla Takeover earlier this year.
Id love to see the tails, its my only real design complaint on the car body’d design; they could modernize those alot more, look like some *sugar* that was stock on a 04 nissan altima w/ those early milenium clear lens’s

Upvote 0
What’d u do? light smoke tint? Ima do a medium smoke..my buddy own a customs shop tho, im
Not installing myself
Yeah, I did light smoke. I don't see many with 3 options. Usually light or dark. But maybe I didn't look enough.
I didn't want to tempt cops to add on a fine if I'm pulled over for something else. I think the light looks good with MSM color.
Dark would probably look good with Black, or if you have dark window tint.

Upvote 0
I knew immediately when I saw that janky rear camera wire just hanging in the middle that this was going to be a poor video.
Who in their right mind would run the wiring right down the middle of the car? That is half-ass lazy. If you can't properly run the wire hidden with the rest of the wires, you probably shouldn't be trying to DIY it in the first place.
This video is useless.
They also didn't repair the insulation above the chrome applique, so moisture will get in there right above the installed unit, probably ruining it in no time. Just so many things wrong with this video.

• Disagree
Reactions: gillmj24
Upvote 0
The unit is sealed. Working fine for 6 months in many pouring rainstorms. Admittedly after buying it, it was months before the weather got good enough and having enough afternoon daylight to install it and I just wanted it done already.

Also I put my dashcams in as soon as I got the car because in general trouble just finds me on the road. I was thinking of properly running its wire eventually, but I don't notice it with the sloped rear window only giving a "a couple inches" of view from the driver's seat, so I didn't bother. My front dashcam the wire hangs down and that is annoying but I am used to it. It's a USB-mini plug so I can't just run the wire "properly" upwards towards the rearview mirror.

I was just trying to tell the OP of an almost as good way to get "amber turn signals" without breaking the tail lights or breaking the bank.

Your tone was a bit much though. Thanks for your "feedback", and if it makes you feel better the wires are now "hidden" under a rear seat evannex center floor console (so my kids could have cupholders).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Id love to see the tails, its my only real design complaint on the car body’d design; they could modernize those alot more, look like some *sugar* that was stock on a 04 nissan altima w/ those early milenium clear lens’s
The outside lens is able to pulse amber as well as white- I don't know how to upload videos.

I keep bugging them about the taillights. I hope they make it so it's similar to the refresh S's tails.

Upvote 0