Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Secure Are Teslas/Tesla Thefts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
p2d works. yes. but it is used by extreme minority of owners i would prsume

When we got our model 3 in 2019, with mass collections and regular pickup day ‘training presentation’ groups, pretty much the first thing Tesla said to each group was to turn on pin to drive.

I suspect P2D use is very widespread, especially for those who had a basic handover.

Reactions: init6
When we got our model 3 in 2019, with mass collections and regular pickup day ‘training presentation’ groups, pretty much the first thing Tesla said to each group was to turn on pin to drive.

I suspect P2D use is very widespread.
I would tend to disagree.
When I picked my M3 in 2022, no one ever talked about it

I would imagine majority of company car drivers (who are majority of new tesla owners for last 2 years) can't be arsed

Yeah, it's nothing like that any more. When I collected both cars in 2022 I was handed the cards, pointed to the general direction of where my new car was and sent on my way.

Quite interesting to pull numbers from How Many Left to get a percentage

ModelThefts 2023How Many Left 2023 (K)Percentage ( x10-3)
Kia Nero199385.2
Hyundai Ionic 596128
Kia EV691118.27
Nissan Leaf88521.69
Jaguar iPace45231.95
Tesla Model Y11630.17
Tesla Model 310940.11
Tesla Model S761.16
Tesla Model X140.25

So an EV6 is 75x more likely to be stolen than a Model 3.

For comedy comparison, the 5th most stolen car the Range Rover Sport was stolen 52.6 x10-3 % so 478x more than my Model 3.

Quite interesting to pull numbers from How Many Left to get a percentage

ModelThefts 2023How Many Left 2023 (K)Percentage ( x10-3)
Kia Nero199385.2
Hyundai Ionic 596128
Kia EV691118.27
Nissan Leaf88521.69
Jaguar iPace45231.95
Tesla Model Y11630.17
Tesla Model 310940.11
Tesla Model S761.16
Tesla Model X140.25

So an EV6 is 75x more likely to be stolen than a Model 3.

For comedy comparison, the 5th most stolen car the Range Rover Sport was stolen 52.6 x10-3 % so 478x more than my Model 3.
Funny how this isn't reflected in my annual premium...

I think the insurance premium is more based on the cost / time to get accident damage repaired and the risk of the car being written off if there is the slightest risk the battery may have been damaged.

I suspect it's "small" repairs that require the car to be unnecessarily off the road that will make the biggest impact on insurance payouts when compared with a vehicle that is back on the road quickly. Write-offs would be relatively uncommon but we've all read multiple stories of repair delays on this forum (though certainly not saying this is just a Tesla feature these days).

I would tend to disagree.
When I picked my M3 in 2022, no one ever talked about it

I would imagine majority of company car drivers (who are majority of new tesla owners for last 2 years) can't be arsed
When I picked up my car in 2022 they gave me a parking bay number, two key cards and told me to have a nice day. I think that was the extent of the conversation.

Reactions: WllXM
My Model 3 is parked under a roof on my compound, facing the street without a fence.

Since this is now possible, I have taken to disabling the phone key and enabling PIN-to-drive in the evening, and vice versa in the morning, to make stealing the car more difficult.

I think the insurance premium is more based on the cost / time to get accident damage repaired and the risk of the car being written off if there is the slightest risk the battery may have been damaged.

I agree. However something to note and one cannot turn a blind eye is that for just about every car that is stollen and not recovered there will be loan cars until the claim is settled plus there is zero salvage for the insurer.

I know many cars have been categorised as some form of write off for very minor but at least the insurance company claim some money back when they sell the salvage. Plus its at their discretion as to categorise a car which really shows how recklessly some run the insurance business since a categorised car with very minor damage means less return to them.

When I collected my M3 they turned the hazards on remotely to help me find it in the car park. Which is mildly interesting, because I don't think turning the hazards on is something that we as customers can do from the app, right?

Just to muddy the waters, theft of vehicles also include those vehicles bought using finance where the purchaser has then done a bunk. Finance companies report the vehicles as stolen in hopes of this being recovered by the police.

I wonder how many of the Tesla thefts listed are “regular” thefts and how many are simply non-payment of finance?

Just to muddy the waters, theft of vehicles also include those vehicles bought using finance where the purchaser has then done a bunk. Finance companies report the vehicles as stolen in hopes of this being recovered by the police.

I wonder how many of the Tesla thefts listed are “regular” thefts and how many are simply non-payment of finance?
To add fuel to the fire, unscrupulous owners who crash (sometimes under the influence) have been known to flee the scene and then report the car “stolen”. These are recorded as “thefts” although no one is fooled by these idiots.