Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Protecting Your Tesla From Theft

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

A Tesla thief has been captured in Portland, Oregon. He claims he stole 11 Teslas in two days. I don't really understand how Teslas are that easily stolen, but I don't want to have my car stolen. I'm thinking the good ol' club might be a worthy investment to ensure that thieves drive oof with my car. What are other people doing to reduce the chance of theft?

Hello Everyone,

A Tesla thief has been captured in Portland, Oregon. He claims he stole 11 Teslas in two days. I don't really understand how Teslas are that easily stolen, but I don't want to have my car stolen. I'm thinking the good ol' club might be a worthy investment to ensure that thieves drive oof with my car. What are other people doing to reduce the chance of theft?

If you're that concerned about it, enable the PIN-to-drive. Problem solved, problem staying solved.

My guess is that this is another Tesla hit piece. I'll wait patiently and try not to rush to any rash decisions/actions based on something "koin" said.

I watched and read it, and they are stealing hundreds of cars, not just Teslas. It highlighted one Tesla theft ring, but most were not Teslas. I have used PIN-to-Drive for years because someone was cloning keyfobs and other ways to steal them. It isn't inconvenient once you get used to it. A "club" deterrent would be a lot more effort. This also protects you from car jacking. Put it in park and get out and walk away.

Hello Everyone,

Until you know how the Teslas were stolen, your options are limited to basic, good practices.

For all you know, the 11 Tesla owners all left their cars unlocked with a valet card in the car.

PIN to drive is an excellent option as even if they have a key, they can’t drive without the PIN.
Alternatively, they could just flatbed it. In that case, PIN to drive, nor a club will stop that.

Reactions: E90alex