Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone key doesn't always connect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Might check to see that both motion and fitness and background app refresh are on for the Tesla App on an iphone. Both could also help. No UWB on my 23 MYP with 2024.2.6 that I just received - bummed the hardware's not there...that would have made things magical.

Anyone try UWB instead of Bluetooth yet? I have not seen a single report and I’m still waiting for my car to update in order to enable it

I got the 2024.2.3 update today on my 2022 Model X LR. When I went out to my car later it prompted me to give the app permission to nearby interactions on my iPhone, which is UWB.

Since I got the car, the phone key has never worked passively; I have to take my phone out of my pocket and wake it up to get the doors to unlock and the driver door to open. Sometimes the door would close on me when I was standing in the way! After the update it automatically opens and closes perfectly, every time, with my phone in my pocket. This is by far the best update I’ve gotten yet.

The initial reports said it was only on the 2023 Model X, but I’m happy to say it’s working with 2022 models too.

Reactions: Daniel L
I have found that when the car is set to Sentry Mode, the phone app "un-ghosts" the car icon very much faster, and so far in the last couple of months, the car responds reliably to the phone key function when approached. I have no idea why, since sentry operation from the phone is operating on the cell network and opening the car is BT function. Just a correlational observation.

I came here with the exact same issue. Disabling and re-enabling BT doesn't help with my Samsung S20 FE 5G. The only thing that seems to help is if I restart my phone. Sometimes it works for 2-3 days, but this morning I had to restart the phone, and now, maybe 10 hours later, it still won't unlock the doors for me. If I use NFC or the button ion the app, I can unlock the car, and even the music would play while the car still won't recognise the phone key unless I restart the phone.
I have tried everything I could think of, including not ever letting the Tesla app go to sleep, but nothing seems to help.
I have exactly this, phone is detected by the car but app refuses to connect, Tessie shows connected while the Tesla App just shows connecting and the only way to make it work properly it to reboot the phone. I have the car for 2 weeks (new car) and i have this problems since i bought it, yesterday i installed the new update but the problem persists i dare to say it's worse because it never happened more than once per day and after updating i had this happening twice.

I have exactly this, phone is detected by the car but app refuses to connect, Tessie shows connected while the Tesla App just shows connecting and the only way to make it work properly it to reboot the phone. I have the car for 2 weeks (new car) and i have this problems since i bought it, yesterday i installed the new update but the problem persists i dare to say it's worse because it never happened more than once per day and after updating i had this happening twice.
Does closing out and restarting the Tesla app solve your issue?

Does closing out and restarting the Tesla app solve your issue?
It's working now flawlessly for 2 weeks but i am not sure what fixed it. I believe it was one of these 2 options, 1. 2 software updates, i installed 2 software updates in the past 2 weeks. 2. Revoking BT access from Tessie app to MY, i am more inclined to this option because when i did it i had no longer problems with the Tesla app connecting to my phone and the software update was about a week later, between this fix and the 1st software update i had no issues.

Reactions: Maxim_9
I still have issues with my model S refresh. It started after an update in January. Since then when the car hibernates it does not recognize my phone key. Opening it via the app. Then disabling bluetooth and re-enabling seems to work intermittently. Sometimes I need to reboot the phone, sometimes remove and recreate the phone key. I have a Samsung Flip 3.

2-3 times a week I'll walk up to my car with my phone and it will fail to unlock for some reason.

Things I've tried without consistent success:

- Turning Bluetooth on my phone off/on
- Removing from my pocket to ensure nothing is interfering with the signal
- Force closing the Tesla app and reopening
- Removing and repairing my phone as a key

When this happens I can still unlock the car from my Tesla app, but the car won't even start until it connects a couple minutes later.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra if that's helpful.

Thank you in advance for any potential help!
Ultra wide band or bluetooth