Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port unlock with 3rd party charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it’s a bit of a noob question but how do you get your charge port to unlock and release a third party charger? I’ve only managed to do it either in the app or going inside the car and unlocking it from the touch screen? There’s no way for the charge port to unlock when the doors unlock? A friend of mine swears that his port unlocks when his phone key gets detected but all I get is a solid green light and I’m unable to unplug the charger.

I’ve even resorted to making a custom shortcut on my phone that unlocks the charge port automatically once my phone connects via Bluetooth, I use the Tessie app for this. But even with this, I need to get in the car and close the door for my phone to connect. There must be an easier way?!

Sorry maybe I’m not understanding you.. push the charge port door how? Just to clarify, my issue is with disconnecting the charging cable when the charge port door is open and the charge port remains locked so I’m unable to unplug the car. Opening the door completely also doesn’t seem to help. Only thing I can do is go inside the car and manually unlock the charge port from the screen or through the app

but all I get is a solid green light and I’m unable to unplug the charger.
Just press the button. That's it. When unplugging, it doesn't matter at all whether it's a Tesla specific plug or a J1772 plug with adapter, because it's not trying to use the radio wireless transmitter in either case. The plug is in the car, and the communication signal wire is connected directly to the car. So pressing the button on the handle will send an interrupt signal to the car AND tell it to unlock the charge port.

Now if you are using a J1772 with adapter, sometimes people have problems where they pull out just the main plug, and then the adapter gets locked back in the port. So to easily be able to get them out together, you can press AND HOLD that release button, and then grab the adapter with your other hand, so you pull them out together.

Just press the button. That's it. When unplugging, it doesn't matter at all whether it's a Tesla specific plug or a J1772 plug with adapter, because it's not trying to use the radio wireless transmitter in either case. The plug is in the car, and the communication signal wire is connected directly to the car. So pressing the button on the handle will send an interrupt signal to the car AND tell it to unlock the charge port.

Now if you are using a J1772 with adapter, sometimes people have problems where they pull out just the main plug, and then the adapter gets locked back in the port. So to easily be able to get them out together, you can press AND HOLD that release button, and then grab the adapter with your other hand, so you pull them out together.
Exactly. Now the car does have to be awake and unlocked, but having the phone (as key) in your pocket when you do it is usually sufficient. If for any reason it doesn't work, try opening a door first.

Reactions: WattsUpPK

Aha! I knew it ended up being a noob question. I never realized the J1772 adapter had a button you can press. Can’t wait to get back home and give it a try! Thanks!

The unlock latch is also a switch.

The basic technique that works for me is -

Hold the cable by the Tesla adapter with one hand.

Trigger the latch. Once it unlocks the charge port, lot it re-latch and pull out the cable and adapter together.

Then unlatch and remove the adapter from the cable.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I've never seen a J1772 handle with a button on it.

Trigger the latch. Once it unlocks the charge port, lot it re-latch and pull out the cable and adapter together.
Yeah, there seems some variation on different car versions as to whether that method consistently works every time or not. If you let go of the button, yes, it will grab onto the adapter again. And for some people, their port will stay unlocked for a few more seconds to let them pull it out successfully with one hand. But on my car, it is absolutely instant that if I let go of the button, the port locks onto the adapter again, so I can't pull it out. I do have to hold down the button the whole time as I pull them both out to keep the port from relocking again.

So since the press-and-hold always works for everyone with all cars, that's the one I recommend as a general case.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I've never seen a J1772 handle with a button on it.
Every single one has it. It's the latch button. It does double duty, not only working the latch, but signaling the car that the button is pressed so it stops charging. In the case of a Tesla, that also unlocks the charge port so the adapter can be removed.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus and Rocky_H