Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How likely is keyless theft 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just what is the benefit? (I'm ignorant on the subject). Being able to unlock the car from even further away doesn't feel like a benefit to me, in fact quite the opposite, so is it more secure?
It's more secure. UWB has the ability to properly measure how far away a key is so it's not (currently) possible to use any kind of relay attack.

Just what is the benefit? (I'm ignorant on the subject). Being able to unlock the car from even further away doesn't feel like a benefit to me, in fact quite the opposite, so is it more secure?
The benefit of UWB is the time of flight of the signal is always accurate or at least no known exploit for it currently. So if you try to boost the signal, it’ll still know your phone is too far away and the doors won’t unlock.

So I’d say it’s the opposite, there shouldn’t be a way to unlock the car if your phone is too far away. Better security basically.

It's more accurate, nothing to do with an extended range. BT is. just relying on the strength on the signal, which depends on your distance from the antenna.
UWB can precisely locate you, all around the car, within a few inches precision. It will know if you are walking toward the driver or passenger door for instance.
That way it could fix the leg squeeze when you and your wife are both entering the car with your phone keys and the wrong profile get selected.

UWB could lock the car faster. Currently the car locks when it loses the BT signal or if it's very low + a couple seconds delay. I often find myself on the other side of the street at more than 10-15m when I hear the lock sound. I think that's too late. UWB can do that just after you've taken a couple steps, which would be an improvement.
Re unlocking, I've had several occasions where the car didn't recognise the phone, and I had to take it from my pocket (and sometimes unlock it) for the car to unlock as well. UWB could fix that.
It also consumes less battery than BT-LE.

And maybe, finally, it will allow Summon to be actually used up to 6m according to UNECE rules, instead of having to practically stand on the bonnet for it to work at the moment.
But of course, this would mean finally getting Summon for non-USS cars, as there isn't one with UWB+USS at the moment..

It's more accurate, nothing to do with an extended range. BT is. just relying on the strength on the signal, which depends on your distance from the antenna.
UWB can precisely locate you, all around the car, within a few inches precision. It will know if you are walking toward the driver or passenger door for instance.
That way it could fix the leg squeeze when you and your wife are both entering the car with your phone keys and the wrong profile get selected.

UWB could lock the car faster. Currently the car locks when it loses the BT signal or if it's very low + a couple seconds delay. I often find myself on the other side of the street at more than 10-15m when I hear the lock sound. I think that's too late. UWB can do that just after you've taken a couple steps, which would be an improvement.
Re unlocking, I've had several occasions where the car didn't recognise the phone, and I had to take it from my pocket (and sometimes unlock it) for the car to unlock as well. UWB could fix that.
It also consumes less battery than BT-LE.

And maybe, finally, it will allow Summon to be actually used up to 6m according to UNECE rules, instead of having to practically stand on the bonnet for it to work at the moment.
But of course, this would mean finally getting Summon for non-USS cars, as there isn't one with UWB+USS at the moment..
It’s more than a leg squeeze if I get in the car and it picks my wife’s profile. I have probably 5 - 10 seconds to quickly adjust it to my profile before my neck is snapped from my head being crushed on the roof 😂

Always this:
Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 15.33.11.png

• Funny
Reactions: FastLaneJB
It’s more than a leg squeeze if I get in the car and it picks my wife’s profile. I have probably 5 - 10 seconds to quickly adjust it to my profile before my neck is snapped from my head being crushed on the roof 😂
Thank u for splaining the tech side of it. So u need a newer phone, iPhone 11 or above and latest software and newish Tesla 2023 and beyond ?

Thank u for splaining the tech side of it. So u need a newer phone, iPhone 11 or above and latest software and newish Tesla 2023 and beyond ?
Yeah iPhone 11 or newer and I think it’s only Model 3 Highland or Model X 2023 and beyond. Not sure why not S as it’s same hardware so most sites say as X.

As X is only LHD in UK, basically a Model 3 purchased in the last month or less.