Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keyless Car Thefts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See here an interesting post on the Porsche Forum (I had a Macan prior to my M3)

I say interesting but perhaps shocking would be a better choice of words

The OP says .. . . . . .
I had my 2000 mile Macan stolen from road in London W9.
3.30 a.m. Tracker useless and staff are unhelpful (don’t wast money on a sub) Staff told me gps aerial had been removed in 30 secs
Ordered car without keyless and kept keys in faraday pouch….it makes no difference the Scumbags have cracked Porsche security!
3 weeks later my replacement car has been stolen after 2 nights!
Last night had a visitor from the country, this morning her Macan had gone
Now AXA will not cover me in a Porsche….cannot blame them
It is an epidemic and like Landrover, Porsche and Tracker are in denial about the problem

Last edited:
There's the gameboy device around that breaches any security with the rolling code vulnerability. That is another step on from the relay theft technique.. More worrying this video suggests it's easy to order replacement keys from abroad with just the VIN so you can just take any car at all.

• Informative
Reactions: JupiterMan and Obie
#pintodrive
Didin't get the hashtag at first and thought your solution was to drive a Pinto...
Ford_Pinto.jpg

They can't clone your "key" though, and if they could they can't change your pin without the existing pin or your tesla credentials.
This is an attack vector more people need to know. Having a car secured by a login with no 2FA means your password had better be secure, decent, and unique. If you recycle it on 10 websites and one of them gets the right kind of breach you're in for a hard time.

Better yet, disable any proximty-only privilege and enable 2FA.

This is an attack vector more people need to know. Having a car secured by a login with no 2FA means your password had better be secure, decent, and unique. If you recycle it on 10 websites and one of them gets the right kind of breach you're in for a hard time.
Better yet, disable any proximty-only privilege and enable 2FA.
How do I enable / setup 2FA?