Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How likely is keyless theft 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wfh and I‘m in the front room a few metres from the car. I’m sure I hear it clunking during the day - not sure if thats unlocking because I’m close to it with my phone, or its waking up for housekeeping duties? I should probably put P2D on. I’ll give it a try but I’ve assumed so far that RFID doesn’t have range to hijack, and bluetooth on your phone is surely also not just BT but its talking to the app for ID. Has it been shown to be compromisable or have all examples been key fob only?
When I remember, I switch off Phone Key in the app. It only takes a moment to switch it on as I walk toward the car and another moment to enter P2D.
Perhaps you have to have had a previous pride and joy stolen ( twice in my case) to really appreciate the effort: benefit ratio.

There are some baseless facts on the effectiveness of P2D flying around in this thread.

Nothing wrong with using P2D, but making stats up doesn’t make it safer. There’s nothing out there to suggest that thieves have been thwarted by P2D.
Have I misunderstood or are you pointing out that a negative has not been proven?
We really need some feedback from thwarted thieves n'est pas!?😀

When I remember, I switch off Phone Key in the app. It only takes a moment to switch it on as I walk toward the car and another moment to enter P2D.
Perhaps you have to have had a previous pride and joy stolen ( twice in my case) to really appreciate the effort: benefit ratio.
If I recall correctly, I have seen a stat for 2020-2022 where you could count the number of Teslas stolen and never recovered (new gen, excluding legacy S/X) on the fingers of one hand.

I’m guessing the need for always on connectivity, Bluetooth entry vs radio, tracker & al do not make it an attractive target for thieves, unless those just looking for spare parts.
Not a reason not to enable P2D of course, especially as it may change in the future now that MYs are becoming ubiquitous as the most sold vehicle of the quarter

As an additional, and admittedly marginal, bit of security, I have our Residents Parking Permit on card which I place on the dash when required.
This prevents "spotters" from knowing, within a few streets, where the car lives.
Probably not much added benefit for a Y;
maybe more relevant to high end SUVs.
( Also, it means keeping the windscreen free stick-ons).

I am aware of that. I was responding to your light hearted anti Android comment by pointing out that at present when it comes to vehicle entry switching to an iPhone would be a downgrade since I have an additional option for entry ( that I do use on occasion) that you do not. BTW I also have UWB on my Android.
I think the difference is Samsung and Google are the only Android makers to be putting UWB into their phones with Samsung only doing it on the higher end, more expensive models. Apple has been putting it into all of their models for a lot longer. At this point it'll be likely if you have an iPhone you have this functionality by now but still won't be the case for most on Android I suspect.

Agree-if yr concerned about security P2D takes 2 seconds and adds another layer of security. We have to be one step ahead of these car thieves. Sentry mode, car alarm, lock chime, proximity detection, tracking chip, turn off blue tooth and P2D.