Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much are you saving from your Model S Charging Costs vs Gas for your Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My S85D costs me $0.011 per mile to drive on an average month with one Supercharge trip included. In Texas we have a deregulated energy policy so we pay only $0.055 per kWh for house hold electricity. The Dodge Ram 2500 that does not get driven costs me $0.135 per mile to drive even at today's low ($2.30/gal) diesel fuel prices. So in a 1000 mile month that is $11 for the Tesla versus $135 for my Dodge.

We were perfect candidates to save fuel costs with a Tesla... 20000 miles per year at real world 17mpg in a hilly location with a Honda Odyssey at California prices was $5k in spend per year. Now 90% is free charging at work and about 8% supercharging leaving my Tesla electricity cost at about $20 for the year.

So we replaced $5k in spend with $20.
Numbers wouldn't be quite so good now with gas cheaper.

Interesting to see relatively low electricity rates in, for example, Texas and California. Here in Ontario, Canada I pay $0.1265 (Off Peak), $0.1707 (Mid-Peak) and $0.2117 (On-Peak). I am in an urban center and rural Ontario customers pay even more.

86k miles. 30 months ownership.

coming from range rover 19mpg premium fuel.

discounted ezpass tolls (green pass) daily. probably saved about $2500 over 30 months from the green ezpass discounts.

i don't pay for electricity. I did a little bit in the beginning but now hardly ever. I charge for free at various places.

if you assume average gas price for premium fuel over the last 30 months was around $3.00:

86,000miles / 19mpg * $3.00 + $2500 = $16,079.

so i've saved at least $16k in 30 months of ownership.

I have had my Model S for a hair over 2.5 years and have just under 60,000 miles on it. It replaced an '09 Cadillac CTS. I track my energy use and costs religiously and have a separate sub-meter on my car's charging circuit. In this time, I have paid an extra $2,044.71 on my electricity bill. I've used more electricity than that because I have used free Level 2 stations and Superchargers, but the $2k is what I'm actually out-of-pocket on. Over the same distance, I would have had to spend $12,647.00 on gasoline for the Caddy. I have also saved on other ICE-related maintenance like oil changes. So I am seeing about a $350 / month savings in "fuel" costs alone.

We were perfect candidates to save fuel costs with a Tesla... 20000 miles per year at real world 17mpg in a hilly location with a Honda Odyssey at California prices was $5k in spend per year. Now 90% is free charging at work and about 8% supercharging leaving my Tesla electricity cost at about $20 for the year.

So we replaced $5k in spend with $20.
Numbers wouldn't be quite so good now with gas cheaper.

We are in the same boat as we are surrounded with free chargers so our electricity bill is barely impacted by the S. But since as of last night we are now gas free (YIPPEE!) with a Leaf in the driveway, we'll most likely see an increase. We also drive much more than we would have, most likely, if we had gone with our only other option which would be been a touring spec Odyssey which loaded with kids and crap seems to get 15MPG in city. I also imagine we would have flown more instead of driving to SoCal so car rental and air fare instead of camping (which is way cheaper and less CO2). Also, I'm trying to go solar, as I want to put the money saved back into sustainable affairs.

UK example. Expensive diesel and electricity :)

Ignoring social use I would be doing around 600-700 miles per week commuting costing around £90 at the pump (tank and a half). Home electricity is £0.15/kWh.

i) if I only ever charged at home then probably about £30
ii) work have 7kW chargers so if I top up to 90% when I get there from about c50% battery the weekly cost drops to £15 (some trips involve going just that bit further and using Superchargers, which would help dilute this further)
iii) if I was very cheeky I could aim to get to work with 10% (or less) and fill up there and costs would be neglible. However, we are seeing more EVs and PHEVs at work so I would expect to move for someone else to get charged

To top it off, it is not true commuting as work is not my base, so I get paid mileage allowances of £0.45/mile up to 10k miles and £0.25/mile above that to cover wear and tear etc. So income generating!

As I posted over on this thread:

Just to put a bit of a damper on everyone's excitement here, where I live in NJ, regular gas is about $1.80 a gallon, and electricity is about $0.19/kWhr.

We aren't saving a significant amount. If gas drops much more it'll actually cost us more to drive the Tesla. (and that's without the crazy service fees)

...I want to put the money saved back into sustainable affairs.

For me, the savings is offsetting the significantly higher purchase price of the car over what I would have otherwise purchased. What it means is that I get to own and drive a Model S for approximately what I would have paid for an ICE + gasoline. In other words, my vehicle ownership costs are about the same, but I'm doing it without gasoline.

For me, the savings is offsetting the significantly higher purchase price of the car over what I would have otherwise purchased. What it means is that I get to own and drive a Model S for approximately what I would have paid for an ICE + gasoline. In other words, my vehicle ownership costs are about the same, but I'm doing it without gasoline.

Same exact reasoning here.

Based on how long I plan to keep it and how much I drive, I took the initially much larger entry cost to offset the federal tax credit, gas savings and reduced maintenance.

Our only remaining gas vehicle is a 99 pickup we drive less then 500 miles a year. We moved from a Volt at about average of 65MPG (lack of E range) to the Tesla with 0 energy cost. Our energy is free from solar panels and superchargers. We get to drive a super nice luxury car.

I'm spending $0.05/mi and I calculate I'd spend $0.13 - $0.15/mi in an ICE that gets 20MPG depending on with premium gas ranging from $2.50 to $3.00. These days premium gas in MA is closer to that $2.50 band, so I may have to start looking at $2.00 as the lower limit.

My last car (epa rated at about 20/30 MPG) got a lifetime average of 19.7 MPG, coupled with the fact that I would've likely gotten a Mercedes CLS or a Porsche Panamera if I hadn't got the S, I think 20 MPG is an appropriate number.

Our situation is a bit complicated due to the fact that we got a solar system in anticipation of the Model S delivery. Technically that means I've spent far MORE on fuel (so far) than with the Audi A6 we replaced. However, the payback on the panels is unreal and over time we'll save boat loads on fuel expenses. Our per year savings works out to well over $2000, even with the lower fuel prices of the last year. Over the life of owning the Model S, I calculate that we've saved just under $7000 in fuel expenses so far (33K miles on our Model S over 2.5+ years.) All things considered, that's incredible, and if you move that out to 8 years (the typical time I own a car) we'll save something like $24000 in fuel which pays for the hefty 7.63 kWH solar system (that is also powering our house!)

First year of ownership: electricity for the car cost us (at the current exchange rate) US$0.0135 cents / km (2.18 cents / mi). I'm counting $0.00 for Superchargers etc. and using the same rates as mknox, lower for part of the time and about US$0.0988 cents/kWh when the rates were raised, to account for very occasional off-off-peak charging. I figure this is about 1/6 to 1/5 the cost of gasoline for an equivalent large car, depending on gas prices where we are.

Same here but all my saving are eating up by the $600 a year service cost for a Tesla. 2 oil changes on my Prius ran about $100 total. So a wash money wise but a way cooler car.

Agreed, although I pay $475 per visit and alignments are included because I bought the pre-paid plan. With gas prices being where they are, and including Tesla annual maintenance, it's pretty much a wash. However, the OP asked strictly for gasoline cost savings, not a TCO calculation.

For me its a big win because I sold my daily driver for about 99.5% of the cost of a private part 2013 P85+. The difference was thanks to the pesky CA sales tax which I needed a very small amount out of my pocket to cover.... Gas savings will be about 400 per month and I have solar (paid for, not leased) so no additional electricity costs. From a TCO perspective its even bigger as my previous daily driver was a 2010 Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS which equated to roughly 1500 average a year in maintenance plus insurance is a bit less. The only thing that is real wash for me are tires. So definitely a big win by moving to a Tesla on just the service alone and it would only get more expensive as time went on as more things like belts and spark plugs would need to be addressed on top of the annual major services every 2 years.