Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Plaid 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's because on a Tesla there's nothing to Mod other than some skirts and spoilers and Carbon Fiber.
No tuning, supercharging or engine airflow to improve like an ICE car.
There is no Tesla engine build to be done.
The stereo can be modded with adding subs like I did but even that hardly anyone does it would seem
based on my Aftermarket Stereo thread.
Some people do go Autosport racing their Model S Plaids where they upgrade brakes with Tesla Track Pacs and suspension parts.

Suspension, brakes, wheels and tires, wraps, weight reductions, and bigger motor swaps apply to EV's, and make up a big part of the ICE modding world. And there are even companies that offer "tuning" packages for EV's, just like for ICE cars. It's not that different in the end, just harder in the EV world when dealing with a car company that wants to void your warranty if just you open up your radiator cap.

Reactions: hyp36rmax
Suspension, brakes, wheels and tires, wraps, weight reductions, and bigger motor swaps apply to EV's, and make up a big part of the ICE modding world. And there are even companies that offer "tuning" packages for EV's, just like for ICE cars. It's not that different in the end, just harder in the EV world when dealing with a car company that wants to void your warranty if just you open up your radiator cap.
Remap the software to disable the traction control and make it rear wheel drive so the Plaid can do burnouts and fishtails and other tricks just for fun 😁

Remap the software to disable the traction control and make it rear wheel drive so the Plaid can do burnouts and fishtails and other tricks just for fun 😁
You can already do that, all you have to do is crank the steering a little bit to get spinning then straighten it out. It it was completely disabled, you'd more than likely damage components because without a transmission, the tires would probably go from 0-150mph in probably close to 1 second and that's not something you want.

Has anyone tried a track day/blast down a favourite road? I'm feeling the Tesla love here too, but I keep thinking about where to go next, a possible Model S upgrade. I chose a Model 3 Performance because I enjoy the odd track day and extended enthusiastic drive. I need a car that can take a hard drive without overheating/cooking brakes. Reports about the early Model S were it did not survive well on track, half a lap of the Nurburgring and it was cooked-overdone where the Model 3 was a lot more usable, you can get a couple of laps in.

I figure the 2300kg Vs 1850kg of the Model 3 was probably the main contributing factor. However, it would be a giggle to have more power. My Model 3 is 911 turbo fast to 70mph, but on track most of the time you're in the 70-140mph range and there it's ~BMW M3 quick. It's fine, I'm only being greedy.. but when there's a faster model available. It's always calling

Has anyone tried a track day/blast down a favourite road? I'm feeling the Tesla love here too, but I keep thinking about where to go next, a possible Model S upgrade. I chose a Model 3 Performance because I enjoy the odd track day and extended enthusiastic drive. I need a car that can take a hard drive without overheating/cooking brakes. Reports about the early Model S were it did not survive well on track, half a lap of the Nurburgring and it was cooked-overdone where the Model 3 was a lot more usable, you can get a couple of laps in.

I figure the 2300kg Vs 1850kg of the Model 3 was probably the main contributing factor. However, it would be a giggle to have more power. My Model 3 is 911 turbo fast to 70mph, but on track most of the time you're in the 70-140mph range and there it's ~BMW M3 quick. It's fine, I'm only being greedy.. but when there's a faster model available. It's always calling

World's smallest jet powered car.
2000 hp 🤣

After owning both, I think the model 3 performance is a lot more fun for this stuff. Upgrades are cheaper too.

Straight line racing or raw power, nothing comes close to a plaid, except purpose-built race cars.

I'd wait to see what the highland 3 performance specs are, surely they are going to open up the top end on them more.

Reactions: blrt and Niffty951
This is my first EV picked up new, June 2023.

View attachment 992666

Fellow auto enthusiast from the M, 911, Land Cruiser side of the pitch, but definitely enjoying the MSP just like you. I did it less for any potential savings, but more for just jumping aboard the 200mph+ EV spaceship to see for myself what the hype is all about.

Sold.

Enjoy!
Track package ?

Reactions: bkcyk
Congrats on a great purchase.
I bought my 2021 Plaid with 16k miles in August from Carmax then Tesla cut their prices so you got a great deal.
The great bonus is how cheap it is to charge it up.
My electricity rate after 7 is 8 cents a kw hr so that translates into 5-600.00 for 15k miles.
A dollar dollar fifty overnight.
It charges at 35 mph with my hard wired wall charger.
The acceleration is just awesome and it gets the equivalent of 100 mpg.
My previous Jeep SRT and Trackhawk got 11 mpg on Premium and cost 25.00 a day for gas.
The 3 year savings would easily pay for a new battery if that was ever a need.
Thank you ! I'm already seeing so many positives. I just got the home charger installed for $400 dollars . I'm fine with $60-100 dollars a month extra on the electric bill. I'm driving 180 miles a day and my gas is roughly $40 dollars a day. Regards

Thank you ! I'm already seeing so many positives. I just got the home charger installed for $400 dollars . I'm fine with $60-100 dollars a month extra on the electric bill. I'm driving 180 miles a day and my gas is roughly $40 dollars a day. Regards
Yes it's great the world's fastest production car is so cheap to operate getting the equivalent of 100 mpg

I had a guy ask me at Tesla service.
if the 2021 plaid has significant overall better upgrades than his S 2020 performance. Other than the .3 to 60 and the one second quarter-mile time better, I wasn’t quite sure how to reply. Is the overall tech significantly better overall in a plaid refresh versus a 2020 performance.

Reactions: Daytonaviolet
if the 2021 plaid has significant overall better upgrades than his S 2020 performance. Other than the .3 to 60 and the one second quarter-mile time better, I wasn’t quite sure how to reply. Is the overall tech significantly better overall in a plaid refresh versus a 2020 performance.
I prefer the refresh updates over the 20 s performance

I had a pre-refresh loaner for a few weeks when my 2023 broke down at midnight with a failed inverter, which is fun. Anyway, I was surprised how much more solid and substantial the pre-fresh felt to my car. It rode considerably smoother and more quietly. As a daily driver, I really preferred it. But it does feel very dated. And while it felt much more competent as a daily driver, with good performance, overall it felt boring and conservative like something the government would issue their employees. So even though the 2023 feels like a low rent economy car with some extra frills, I would probably still go that route, especially since you want every second of warranty you can get with these cars.

Reactions: Sam1
I had a pre-refresh loaner for a few weeks when my 2023 broke down at midnight with a failed inverter, which is fun. Anyway, I was surprised how much more solid and substantial the pre-fresh felt to my car. It rode considerably smoother and more quietly. As a daily driver, I really preferred it. But it does feel very dated. And while it felt much more competent as a daily driver, with good performance, overall it felt boring and conservative like something the government would issue their employees. So even though the 2023 feels like a low rent economy car with some extra frills, I would probably still go that route, especially since you want every second of warranty you can get with these cars.
you had a Raven 2020 performance loaner?
Have a MXP and the S loaner I had was a performance S….. far from boring it seemed nearly as quick as my plaid X. I was speaking merely from a true software/tech perspective.
I couldn’t answer the question of the real differences.
Plaid vs raven S performance
Thx 👍

Last edited:
@Gapplebees Congrats! We are in the same boat. I bought my MS Plaid in Feb, will never look back. I do wish I had bought one like yours... I paid a bit more lol. I drive 75 miles a day to work each way... and you are 100% correct. The drive would be torturous in a regular vehicle. The Autopilot (I went with enhanced) combined with the low cost of fuel makes this the ideal vehicle.

A Model 3 or Y would be decent as well, but the extra range the Model S has makes a huge difference. I went with the smaller wheels to get the extra 50 miles of range and faster off the line speeds. This is nice when I forget to charge at night... I am good to make it to work the next morning with a quick fast charge on the way home. I am lucky to have 5 super chargers on my trip!

Again, congrats, welcome the the Plaid life lol.

Reactions: Gapplebees
you had a Raven 2020 performance loaner?
Have a MXP and the S loaner I had was a performance S….. far from boring it seemed nearly as quick as my plaid X. I was speaking merely from a true software/tech perspective.
I couldn’t answer the question of the real differences.
Plaid vs raven S performance
Thx 👍

Hard acceleration is fun, but it's not the only thing needed to keep the car from feeling boring.

Reactions: Gapplebees