Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much are you saving from your Model S Charging Costs vs Gas for your Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As much as I would like to say I'm saving money, I probably don't. I could have bought a much cheaper car and overall saved money even with buying gas. But there were other reasons why the Model S was a good decision.

I drive an average of 120 miles a day using 36 kWh. Charging needs approx 20% more * 10 ct per kWh = $4.32. In a similar ICE it would be roughly $18. So far I saved approx $7000 (driving 60k miles). Adding in savings on oil changes and other ICE related things, in 5 years that will be $30k less than an ICE. Subtracting that from the price I payed for the Model S I could have gotten a decent ICE car for the same total cost of ownership. So in the end I don't save money but looking at it this way, the Model S isn't as expensive as some people see it.

I live in HK, here the pump price is about USD 7.7/gallon at the moment and doesn't vary too much with crude price since the vast majority of it is government levy anyway. I always charge at SC since it's too troublesome to install wall charger in an apartment bldg and there is certainly no "long distance travel" that SC should be reserved for in HK. Unlikely to get over 20MPG in the city, even driving a moderate 2.5-3 liter gas engine car, let alone any gas guzzler. So for each mile traveled, i would save 0.38 USD. I drove in Europe quite a bit, and believe a similar math can apply there.

My S replaced a Honda Pilot. I'm high miles averaging from 3500-4000 miles per month. I've spent $1824 in the 23 months of ownership. Gas for these 69,000 miles would have cost me around $19,000 give or take. My car payment and electricity is still less than what I paid before

Moved from a Ram 1500 5.7L 4x4 Crew Cab (13MPG avg over 2 years of ownership) to a P85. Since I got the P85 (2 months ago) I've gone about 3800 miles, and 95% of my charging has been at work where the company pays for it or at a Supercharger. So, for the truck, I'd have spent about $669 on gas @ $2.29/gal vs the $21 or so I've spent on electricity at my house. Almost makes up the payment difference between the two vehicles.

So the way i do the math is I'm average $0.044/kwh on the real time pricing for Illinois ComEd. Over the last 3 months I'm average 281 w hr/mi. If I assume a 90% efficiency during charging then I get 312 whr/mi. Or a cost of $0.0137/mi.

Assuming a gas efficiency of my old Honda at 35 mpg and $2.50/gal I get $0.0714/mi. $0.0137/$0.0714 = 19%

I'm paying 81% less for charging than I would for gas in my honda civic... I think I did my math right.

I live in Texas (deregulated power industry), and I've signed up for the TXU Energy Free Nights plan. I pay a higher charge than average from 6AM to 9PM, but my 9PM to 6AM power is free. I have the 85D scheduled to charge at 1:00 AM every night.

I drive about 15,000 miles per year, previously I drove an Audi A6 which averaged about 24 MPG. At $2.65/gal, that's $1,650 per year in savings.

Maybe I did my math wrong, but I save little to no money with my Tesla... at least in gas vs electricity.

In San Diego I drive 64 miles round trip to work. According to SDGE thats roughly 30kw a night I use from midnight to 5am at my .17c flat rate for EVs. (I feel this is really inefficient, so I'm looking into why I'm trying to pull more energy down the line than my car is telling me I spent on the trip meter)

My previous commuter car was a Pontiac Vibe, and if you round down I would get 30mpg highway easily (honestly its probably more but just for arguments sake). Gas near my house right now is 2.65, but lets round up and say $3.00 a gallon.

If I only drove my car to and from work, thats 20 days:

Tesla: 30kwh * $.17 per kwh = $5.1 per day * 20 days = $102 dollars a month

Vibe: 64 miles a day * 20 days = 1280 miles / 30 mpg = 42.6 gal * $3.00 a gal = $128

So I guess I save 26 dollars a month, or so. Right??

My S replaced a Honda Pilot. I'm high miles averaging from 3500-4000 miles per month. I've spent $1824 in the 23 months of ownership. Gas for these 69,000 miles would have cost me around $19,000 give or take. My car payment and electricity is still less than what I paid before

I bet you weren't driving the Honda pilot at the speeds I know you drive your Model S, so there's the fun factor as well. As the commercial says, "priceless".