Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many Roadsters will be produced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The following sentence was interesting:
There has been some speculation on why Roadster sales were being terminated in North America first. This explanation actually makes sense.

May I quote myself? :)

Another reason for Tesla to sell the remaining Roadsters outside the US could be that there it will take longer until the Model S arrives. The beta builds are scheduled for end of summer, so maybe each shop gets a beta or two, also for test drives.

Regarding the Roadster, Elon said in the August 3rd Conference call:

....all custom order slots are sold out...you can't buy a custom Roadster anymore...slots are sold out...a few spec cars are available...only a few...

He did say that this was the U.S. situation and that cars were available for Asia and Europe, but used the words "sold out" several times.

He did say that this was the U.S. situation and that cars were available for Asia and Europe, but used the words "sold out" several times.

Just received an email from Tesla Japan advertising new financing deals on the Roadster. There appear to be many left for sale here and why not with the yen at 76.5.... 10 year lease and loan deals with 0 down payment and 99,999 monthly rates are being advertised. No mention at all here regarding the end of production as they feel it could scare off potential buyers worried about future servicing on the car. They are trying to do a smooth run of Roadster sales right into the launch of the Model S.

I heard 40 or so Roadsters were left for the US market. A Arctic White 2.5 was delivered to Atlanta a few weeks ago brining our total to 10. A friend at Tesla said 2 more could be on their way to Atlanta if buyers commit to purchasing. I think there are only 2 Lighting Green Roadsters left in the country. A friend saw one at the DC store a few weeks ago.

I heard 40 or so Roadsters were left for the US market. A Arctic White 2.5 was delivered to Atlanta a few weeks ago brining our total to 10. A friend at Tesla said 2 more could be on their way to Atlanta if buyers commit to purchasing. I think there are only 2 Lighting Green Roadsters left in the country. A friend saw one at the DC store a few weeks ago.

Heard the same thing today; although there are 20+ demo and store cars also.

Heard the same thing today; although there are 20+ demo and store cars also.
It seems most likely that the "40 or so" number already includes the 29 spec cars. In other words, I don't think you can also add those to the total. Tesla Motors has been saying that not all combinations from the Design Studio are available, and that's been the story for a month or more.

I get the impression that they're mostly selling spec cars, but are willing to change a few parts. I saw the light-colored executive leather interior of the black sport in Seattle go to an owner who wanted that color in his car, and meanwhile the black sport was fitted with black executive leather. Personally, I thought that that black sport looked much nicer with the lighter executive leather, but I guess "a bird in the hand..."

Last edited:
Outside the USA, Tesla are now down to just a few RHD custom order Roadsters left. Still plenty of RHD spec cars, but the custom slots are almost sold out. Looks like Australia, Hong Kong and UK will be fighting over the last few. That will leave the outside-USA-LHD custom-order cars as the last to go.

The service guy I met with today said 24 I think. I'm not sure if he's completely up to date though.
Talk to the sales guy. They have access to data that's more current than what we see as owners on My Tesla.
I get the impression that they only update that database once in a blue moon - either that, or they're selling 6 Roadsters at a time and then taking a month off.

Down to only 1 dozen left in the North American online inventory. That's 3 "new" ones with odometers ranging from 73 to 565 miles and 9 demos. Only Chicago, Colorado, Los Angeles, Menlo Park, New York, Newport, and Toronto remain as places to see and possibly test drive a Roadster.

The Seattle Tesla Store sold its last demo, so their name has dropped off the list of locations.