Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

How many Roadsters will be produced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep reading in various places about how low the sales numbers are for the Leaf and Volt, but, as you said, just try to buy one. They're practically nonexistent.
That wasn't my problem. I placed my reservation the first day they opened them. I placed my order as soon as they let me order. Then they delayed, and delayed, and delayed. They broke promise after promise. They sent me a VIN number and then later told me that was not my car. I finally got sick of being jerked around.

There was a whole bunch of people who ordered right at the beginning and then had their orders yanked out and jerked around. The people who ordered in February got their cars before many of the folks who ordered way back in September and October. Nissan blew it, and showed no interest in correcting their screw-ups.

But they're selling them as fast as they can build them, and I'm sure it's a fine car. I just won't deal with a company that treats me the way they did.

I'll trade you my Leaf for your Roadster! :wink:
I'll trade you my Prius for a Lear jet.

The cost for pulling the engine out for service every 30,000 miles (Ferrari) tends to put a few folks off as well! :scared::wink:

For me it's both. I always wanted a sports car since I was born (my first spoken word actually was "Auto", german for car). I'm also very eco-friendly, so this was a bit of a problem in getting a Ferrari and Lamborghini. The biggest problem was the money. I bought the Tesla because it really seems as if it was designed for me. It's all combined in a car I always wanted plus it's probably the most powerful sports car I can ever afford. I couldn't keep a Ferrari or Lamborghini, simply because I don't earn enough money to pay for their gasoline thirst.

I'd be scared to go 125 mph. Fortunately, the speed limit on the freeway here is 70. That's plenty fast for me. But I'm not a sports car enthusiast. I'm an EV enthusiast, and I'm looking forward to being able to show people that an electric car does not have to be a NEV.

Driving the Roadster is VERY different from a "normal" car. I did take mine to the 1/4 track nearby and was doing 104 at the end and the car was VERY smooth and stable. I still felt totally in control, better than most cars at 60 mph. The Roadster I have found is meant, or rather designed to be driven fast.

Driving the Roadster is VERY different from a "normal" car. I did take mine to the 1/4 track nearby and was doing 104 at the end and the car was VERY smooth and stable. I still felt totally in control, better than most cars at 60 mph. The Roadster I have found is meant, or rather designed to be driven fast.

100 MPH in the roadster is indeed amazingly smooth and stable. Even with the top off :smile:

I have found that the Roadster is very solid at 70 mph (the freeway speed limit here) compared to my Prius, which is a bit squirrely at that speed. Once I was going 80 on the freeway and a VW Bug (I kid you not!) caught up with me, so I gunned it to 90 for about 3 seconds and pulled away from him. That was just a wee bit scary but the car was still solid. After that I slowed back down to 70 and slipped into the slow lane, and let the VW pass me. I showed him what I could do and that was enough.

But with the top off, anything over 60 mph creates a wind pressure effect that I find quite uncomfortable. The car handles as well as ever, but I could not drive for very long over 60 with the top off.

I'm loving this car!

Windows up or down ? (Windows up should do quite well ...)
I tried it both ways. Windows up was a little better. But still unpleasant. It takes me about 2 minutes to take the top off, and about the same to put it on. Not a big deal at all. I once drove a convertible rental car, and it took as long for the power top to go up or down as it takes me to do by hand on the Roadster. So now I put the top on for the freeway. Rural highways with their 55 and 60 mph speed limits are fine. The occasional sprint to pass is short enough not to bother. (And it's amazing how quickly the car gets up to passing speed.)

I thought I read on this thread or another that there were only a handful of roadsters left for sale in the US. However, I heard from a salesman today that Tesla shifted about 80 Roadsters that they were going to sale internationally back to the US and Canada. Between those extra 80 and the demo cars, they will be selling about 100 more Roadsters in North America before they shift focus to the Model S.

I received an email yesterday from a Tesla employee, mentioning that they opened it back up for 100 more custom orders. We actually sold out of custom build spots a couple months ago, but then were able to negotiate an additional 100 gliders from Lotus (50 for the US and 50 for Europe/Asia). Aug 3 is the last custom order date for the US, and thereafter we’ll only be selling remaining inventory.

We actually sold out of custom build spots a couple months ago, but then were able to negotiate an additional 100 gliders from Lotus (50 for the US and 50 for Europe/Asia). Aug 3 is the last custom order date for the US, and thereafter we’ll only be selling remaining inventory.
I wonder if the last 5 of these final 50 US custom orders will also sell for $200,000 and come in another pair of exclusive colors. Then again, I wonder if there will be another "unexpected" negotiation after August that brings in even more.

Lotus can probably keep building gliders right up until they halt the production line for the changeover. Or until the airbag exemption expires, whichever comes first. But keep in mind that the exemption is still valid until the NHTSA rules on whether it will be extended. So how long can Tesla keep teasing the end of production?

Lotus can probably keep building gliders right up until they halt the production line for the changeover.
What changeover? Do we know, publicly, exactly what Lotus will be using the physical production lines for that are now devoted to the Roadster? I'm assuming the Lotus has not revealed such highly specific details of their manufacturing plans, so this seems rather speculative. I'm inclined to believe that they're probably motivated more by contractual dates rather than production dates for other lines, but your guess is as good as mine.

What changeover? Do we know, publicly, exactly what Lotus will be using the physical production lines for that are now devoted to the Roadster?
The next version of the Elise/Exige which the Roadster currently shares production lines. However, I'd think they could figure out a way to continue to supply Tesla if they really wanted to, or if Tesla really wanted them to. My guess is Tesla is ready to move on and focus on the Model S, though I'd think it would be preferable to continue to sell their flagship (and only) vehicle until they're actually shipping the next vehicle.

But wait... there's more. If you order within the next 15 minutes not only will you get your Roadster with a set of Ginsu knives but you'll also get this exclusive bamboo tiki steamer. Act fast as this exclusive offer is only available for 15 minutes.

Yeah, yeah. I'll believe there are "no more order slots available" when someone actually tries to write a check for the car and they say no. Like all car sales, don't believe what you hear from the "dealer".

What changeover? Do we know, publicly, exactly what Lotus will be using the physical production lines for that are now devoted to the Roadster? I'm assuming the Lotus has not revealed such highly specific details of their manufacturing plans, so this seems rather speculative. I'm inclined to believe that they're probably motivated more by contractual dates rather than production dates for other lines, but your guess is as good as mine.

When we visited the factory at the time our Roadster had just been finished, we saw only one production line. Lotus cars and Tesla Roadsters were interspersed along that line.