Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many Roadsters will be produced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the Elise production ends so will the Roadster. It is that simple. While they are wildly different they run on the same line and share the same greenhouse (glass). Lotus may simply produce more Roadsters for Tesla before ending the production, but this is not a groundbreaking article. It just shows that Tesla wants a few more inventory cars to continue to have them available. My guess is that they will not last as long as Tesla thinks. With all the press of the production ending...demand has to be up... All those thinking about a roadster or possibly a second (cough cough) will toss their deposit down quicker to ensure that spot.

When will journalists do their homework?:
The car appeals to sports-car enthusiasts because it ... has a top speed of 125 miles per hour.
I mean, the article includes accurate statements, but they're strung together in a fashion that just reads ludicrous. Maybe GreenBeat's Matthew Lynley has never met a "sports-car enthusiast" or maybe he just pulled phrases from several AP Wire and Press Release stories and barely exercised enough restraint to avoid plagiarism.

That sentence from the article really should read "The car appeals to sports-car enthusiasts because it can go from 0 to 60 miles per hour in 3.7 seconds, although it is limited to a top speed of 125 miles per hour." At least I've never met a single person who was excited by the 125 mph limit.

I know how many times I get to test 0-60 vs. testing >100mph speeds. Yeah, if you're going to track a car it's going to matter, but for me, 0-35 time (the common surface street speed limit around here) is the thing I have the most fun with.

(I haven't read slashdot in years - the stupid meta-patterns that are exemplified there became just too painful. But the comment moderating system always seemed to work - the problem was always upstream: lame editors).

Ha! CNNMoney should rephrase that "Priced around $109,000 dollars" to "Starting at $109,000"
Wow, I've said it before, but journalism ain't what it used to be.
It's not even starting at $109,000 any more. I think all remaining Roadsters will be Sport models with some required options. And while I'm very unclear on this part, I think the cheapest Roadster presently in inventory is around $125,000.

However, FWIW, journalism has always put minimal importance on accuracy. It's about story telling, and as Tom & Ray are fond of saying: "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story." That's been the motto of journalism since newspapers were invented.

That sentence from the article really should read "The car appeals to sports-car enthusiasts because it can go from 0 to 60 miles per hour in 3.7 seconds, although it is limited to a top speed of 125 miles per hour." At least I've never met a single person who was excited by the 125 mph limit.
I'd be scared to go 125 mph. Fortunately, the speed limit on the freeway here is 70. That's plenty fast for me. But I'm not a sports car enthusiast. I'm an EV enthusiast, and I'm looking forward to being able to show people that an electric car does not have to be a NEV.

...I'm not a sports car enthusiast. I'm an EV enthusiast, and I'm looking forward to being able to show people that an electric car does not have to be a NEV...

After a while owning your new Roadster I suspect you will be converted in a "sports car enthusiast" whether you intended it or not.

You just wanted a long range, reliable EV, but now you are "stuck" with a super fun, high performance temptation machine.

Yeah Daniel, you're going from 0-35 max and 0-60 only down a mountain with a tailwind to 0-35 in a second or two. Quite a step up!
Actually, I once had the Xebra up to nearly 50 mph going downhill. It scared the pants off me! A Xebra going 50 mph is NOT stable. But then a Xebra-knowledgeable person told me that 50 mph is the speed where the motor will fly apart, unless you have larger tires (which some people put on to get higher top speed at the cost of lower acceleration.) Now I never go over 40 on the downhills. (The Xebra, BTW, is completely freewheeling when both pedals are up and the hand brake is off.)

And an aside: As much as I'm looking forward to getting my Roadster, and as much as the limited power of the Xebra is sometimes frustrating, the Xebra has really been a great little car. It's been my daily driver for four years, allowing me to drive electric long before the first Roadsters were in the hands of owners. I'll be kind of sorry to part with it, even as I'll welcome having a freeway-capable EV that's got more torque than almost anything else on the road.

After a while owning your new Roadster I suspect you will be converted in a "sports car enthusiast" whether you intended it or not.
Who knows? I look forward to finding out. However, I can tell you that if I do become a sports car enthusiast, I'm going to be an ELECTRIC sports car enthusiast. I HATE gasoline engines, and the bigger and louder they are the more I hate them.

I know some people came to the Tesla because it accelerates faster than a gasoline car. I come to it because it doesn't burn gas. I'd have bought a Leaf and I'd have been happy with it, if Nissan had deigned to sell me one.

the Xebra has really been a great little car. It's been my daily driver for four years, allowing me to drive electric long before the first Roadsters were in the hands of owners. I'll be kind of sorry to part with it

I hear you. It sounds like a great little car to toot around town in. Too bad my side of the mountains has such long distances between places I want to be.

I'd have bought a Leaf and I'd have been happy with it, if Nissan had deigned to sell me one.

I keep reading in various places about how low the sales numbers are for the Leaf and Volt, but, as you said, just try to buy one. They're practically nonexistent.

I called my local dealer and you can buy a Leaf if you don't mind paying up front and the minimum six month wait for the factory to build it. The only one they had for test driving was the one purchased by the dealership's owner for his wife. I'm sure it's at least partially for tax reasons.

Yep they're right, absolutely no demand for those electric cars. :mad:

I know some people came to the Tesla because it accelerates faster than a gasoline car. I come to it because it doesn't burn gas.

For me it's both. I always wanted a sports car since I was born (my first spoken word actually was "Auto", german for car). I'm also very eco-friendly, so this was a bit of a problem in getting a Ferrari and Lamborghini. The biggest problem was the money. I bought the Tesla because it really seems as if it was designed for me. It's all combined in a car I always wanted plus it's probably the most powerful sports car I can ever afford. I couldn't keep a Ferrari or Lamborghini, simply because I don't earn enough money to pay for their gasoline thirst.