Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How did they get to a 70kWh battery pack?

How did they implement 70kW pack?

• Same number of larger capacity cells

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • More cells of same capacity

Votes: 86 65.6%
  • Software change (using more cell capacity)

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Combination of all

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Something else

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I don't know

Votes: 9 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd be willing to bet a good amount that the 70 pack is a 14 module pack using the same modules as the 85. This would give them the ability to tighten the SoC window a little more in favor of battery longevity due to the "extra" 4kWh in this setup. Would allow slightly higher overall operating voltage as well vs the 60 which would lead to lower current draw and thus higher efficiency.

Added benefit is eliminating the 60 type modules for production efficiency.

Dear fellow TM-S owners. I am as you somewhat troubled by this new 70 kWh battery and the 60 kWh for that matter. I got my S60 back in December 2014 and it seems like I have full access to the 60 kWh. I did a 90 % charge the other day from 1% to 91% and the meter said 54 kWh charged. My 85 kWh friends can not charge 85 kWh!!! My speculation started.

Could any of shed some light on the following:

1. Did anyone ever do a tear down on the 60 kWh battery to see the actual cells and capacity?
2. If there a similar diagram available for the 60 kWh battery:
803-1NB722AgWWCdCSiSGS6DTy6Ea8-5Rft02ItVwNg.png

3. When does a S60 run out of juice? I guess not at precisely 0% which would make people a bit upset maybe. Have the S60 in fact more kWh available than 60 kWh?

The following is purely speculation based on lack of knowledge (above mentioned):

a) What if Tesla at some point in fact placed the same number of cells in each module in the S60 as on the 85 kWh only placing 14 modules instead of 16: 85*14/16 = 74.4 kWh and then software reduced to 60 kWh.

b) if a) is true then the S70 is "just" a S60 with the software limitation removed.

c) Later this year I then will be offered to upgrade my S60 to S70 for xxxx ;-)

/Søren

Dear fellow TM-S owners. I am as you somewhat troubled by this new 70 kWh battery and the 60 kWh for that matter. I got my S60 back in December 2014 and it seems like I have full access to the 60 kWh. I did a 90 % charge the other day from 1% to 91% and the meter said 54 kWh charged. My 85 kWh friends can not charge 85 kWh!!! My speculation started.

Could any of shed some light on the following:

1. Did anyone ever do a tear down on the 60 kWh battery to see the actual cells and capacity?
2. If there a similar diagram available for the 60 kWh battery:
View attachment 78163
3. When does a S60 run out of juice? I guess not at precisely 0% which would make people a bit upset maybe. Have the S60 in fact more kWh available than 60 kWh?

The following is purely speculation based on lack of knowledge (above mentioned):

a) What if Tesla at some point in fact placed the same number of cells in each module in the S60 as on the 85 kWh only placing 14 modules instead of 16: 85*14/16 = 74.4 kWh and then software reduced to 60 kWh.

b) if a) is true then the S70 is "just" a S60 with the software limitation removed.

c) Later this year I then will be offered to upgrade my S60 to S70 for xxxx ;-)

/Søren

First, this battery capacity graphic that everyone always seems to post all over the place is not necessarily accurate and is not official info. There is no "Zero Mile Protection" area, for one, as many owners have had shutdowns at 0 miles. A range charge (90-100%) only appears to add ~7.7kWh by my calculations also.

But anyway. I've physically seen modules from a 60kWh pack. They simply have some number of spaces (can't recall exactly how many off hand) without cells installed. They are not the same modules as used in the 85kWh packs, for 100% certain.

If it were a software limitation the voltage range visible during supercharging would not be a full range. On the 60's I've seen this points to definitely not being just a software limitation.

I'd be very surprised if newer 60s had a different battery. People should post some battery label pics from some newer 60s to confirm.

A range charge (90-100%) only appears to add ~7.7kWh by my calculations also.

Same here. (sorry, in KMs)

Rated is 435km on my car (85D).

59% SOC
258km rated left (59.31% of max rated)
325km ideal left
10, 25 and 50km averages were :
191 Wh/km for 245km projected = 46 795Wh left in the battery.
186 Wh/km for 251km projected = 46 686Wh left in the battery
202 Wh/km for 231km projected = 46 662Wh left in the battery

Average left : 46 714Wh. 100% ends up being : 78 762Wh AKA 10%SOC is then 7.8kWh

/Søren

I disgree that Tesla have software restricted the capacity from 70KWh to 60KWh
batteries are too expensive for Telsa to throw margin like that.

SQLCPH: Question: When you say meter read 54KWPH. WHich meter are you referring to?

I am reffering to the kWh charge meter. I have my setting in % and get the total charge kWh value in the charge menu. I charged 54 kWh (1-91%)

- - - Updated - - -

I disgree that Tesla have software restricted the capacity from 70KWh to 60KWh
batteries are too expensive for Telsa to throw margin like that.

Did´nt they do the same they phased out the 40 kWh? Sold then as 40 but the where in fact 70?

Let me correct myself. I went and checked the charging display when range setting is in battery %'s.

SQLCPH: You are correct. In this setting, the charged amount shows in KW's not miles. Also that amount is the DC charge going into the battery (the charge is around 90% of AC Power).
This is new information for me. I am going to go through a charge cycle to see what number I get on my car.

Based on your reporting, it does seem like there is no buffer. 90% == 54KWh then 100% = 60KWh so where is the buffer?

SQLCPH: In any case, how many ideal miles range do you see at 90%? Ideal Miles*0.267 gives KWh number. We can corroborate if it will match 54KWh.

Let me correct myself. I went and checked the charging display when range setting is in battery %'s.

SQLCPH: You are correct. In this setting, the charged amount shows in KW's not miles. Also that amount is the DC charge going into the battery (the charge is around 90% of AC Power).
This is new information for me. I am going to go through a charge cycle to see what number I get on my car.

Based on your reporting, it does seem like there is no buffer. 90% == 54KWh then 100% = 60KWh so where is the buffer?

SQLCPH: In any case, how many ideal miles range do you see at 90%? Ideal Miles*0.267 gives KWh number. We can corroborate if it will match 54KWh.

I will do some more driving, charging and documenting as soon as possible :)

54kWh usable makes sense for the 60 pack. That's 10% anti-brick buffer below 0 miles.

I think it might be a little more. A while back I was able to get 54kWh out of the pack and still had 12 miles of rated range remaining. Of course could be inaccuracies in the car's instrumentation.

Edit: I tried to get rid of these duplicate large images, but won't let me delete :(

Attachments

• Rhinelander Trip photo.JPG
    Rhinelander Trip photo.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 326
  • Rhinelander Trip photo Reduced.jpg
    Rhinelander Trip photo Reduced.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 316
... If they are just adding cells to the original 60 pack, then we should see a heavier car with a corresponding drop in efficiency. But from the new specs on the 70D, it looks like it is retaining near identical efficiency of the S60. This suggests the battery didn't get much heavier.

Wasn't always thought that they added ballast to the 60? If so, they could remove ballast as they add cells and retain the efficiency of the 60. Also, even if there is a slight weight gain, the 70D motors should be more efficient that the sole one in the 60.

Charged again today, this time from 2% (did not dare to run out) - 100% and got 59 kWh charged energy. Matches perfectly to 0-100% charge equals 60 kWh.

I would very much like to know how many kWh there is available below 0% on the 60 or 85? Any of you ever tried to run out of juice?

image.jpg