Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How did they get to a 70kWh battery pack?

How did they implement 70kW pack?

• Same number of larger capacity cells

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • More cells of same capacity

Votes: 86 65.6%
  • Software change (using more cell capacity)

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Combination of all

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Something else

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I don't know

Votes: 9 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering the following :
85 pack is 16 modules of each 6 series of 74 cells. Total is 402V and 7104cells
60 pack is 14 modules of each 6 series of 60 cells. Total is 352V and 5040cells (not sure about that one)
In that case, why wouldn't the 70D pack be 14 modules of each 6 series of 70 cells? It doesn't simplify manufacturing, but at least the math works out.

The 240-mile range is the real puzzle. It just doesn't make sense.

In that case, why wouldn't the 70D pack be 14 modules of each 6 series of 70 cells? It doesn't simplify manufacturing, but at least the math works out.

The 240-mile range is the real puzzle. It just doesn't make sense.

270-240=30
240-214=26.
(S60 range is for a RWD car, unmodified from original 2013 rating, even though Tesla has apparently reduced weight since then. If we add 5 miles of range for AWD with sleep, then the idea of 240 miles of range for the 70 isn't really that weird, especially given the EPA test bias towards acceleration over steady driving, and 55/45 city/highway which means that weight significantly affects ratings.)

Assuming Tesla fit the 85kwh pack and software limit it to 70 (yes margins matter, but so does improved efficiency and product rationalisation), would that mean that you could always do a full charge as that would only charge 70 of the available 85kwh capacity? The knowledge that you could pay (yes with a premium), for the extra 15kwh would be attractive and "ease the entry point". I wonder what proportion of the 40's still are 40's and how many upgraded to 60?

From this thread and the 329hp power of the 70D
Does the 70D have new batteries and will the 85D become a 100D? - Page 3

I think Cottonwood has it:

The 85D has an advertised horsepower of 422 HP or 211 HP per motor. The 70D has an advertised horsepower of 329 HP or 165 HP per motor. Power in a resistive load is V[SUP]2[/SUP]/R. If we use a resistive equivalent for the motor (excuse handwaving), then the power should scale as Voltage Squared. The Voltage ratio between the 60 and the 85 was 14/16 (module number) or 7/8.

211 HP * (7/8)[SUP]2[/SUP] = 162 HP

That is close enough for me to bet on the 70D having the same number of modules as the 60 (same pack Voltage as the 60) with either more cells per module or improved cells. My wild guess would be more cells per module to transform the 60 battery to a 70.

If we see a near zero State of Charge Supercharger charge rate on the 70D of 105 kW, then the pack Voltage in the 70D is the same as the 60. Initial charge rate in both the 85 and 60 were about 120 kW and 105 kW and limited by the 330 Amps max on a Supercharger. 105=120*7/8

same structure as the 60D pack but with a few more cells/module (improved cells would likely yield same voltage/cell but higher power density)

Assuming Tesla fit the 85kwh pack and software limit it to 70 (yes margins matter, but so does improved efficiency and product rationalisation), would that mean that you could always do a full charge as that would only charge 70 of the available 85kwh capacity? The knowledge that you could pay (yes with a premium), for the extra 15kwh would be attractive and "ease the entry point". I wonder what proportion of the 40's still are 40's and how many upgraded to 60?

If you're going to be making unfounded and random assumptions with no basis in reality, then you may as well assume that the 85 is secretly a 130 and recharge a 85 to a full charge every time as well.

The 40 shipped with a 60 battery because they already sold some 40's which they couldn't roll back. However, Tesla decided that they didn't actually want to build 40s. So they took the loss, announced that 40s were really going to be 60's, and at the very same moment they retired the product so that nobody could order more of them. The 70 is not retiring - it wouldn't make sense for them to perpetually take a loss.

I didn't explain myself very well. I didn't mean to make an assumption as such, no doubt there will some sort of official or "in the know" pronouncement on the actual battery pack.

What I was clumsily trying to ask was; if the pack WAS an 85kwh pack software limited to 70kwh, would a "full charge" be 70kwh not 85kwh?

Or probably what I should have asked was; with the 40kwh version, did a "full charge" just put 40kwh into the battery so doing a reduced 85% charge wasn't needed to preserve longevity of the battery pack?

Sorry for any confusion.

Or probably what I should have asked was; with the 40kwh version, did a "full charge" just put 40kwh into the battery so doing a reduced 85% charge wasn't needed to preserve longevity of the battery pack?

The right part of the slider on the 40 is inaccessible out unless you pay for the upgrade.

You can't set it to "full charge". (You can't set it to 85% charge either).

Imagine a 60, and never moving the slider past the 66% mark. That's exactly a 40. There isn't any indication in the car that it has a full charge at 40. Even the little battery icon will only show a partial charge.

The right part of the slider on the 40 is inaccessible out unless you pay for the upgrade.

Imagine a 60, and never moving the slider past the 66% mark. That's exactly a 40. There isn't any indication in the car that it has a full charge at 40. Even the little battery icon will only show a partial charge.

Wow. Tesla sure is teasing the 40 owners every day. "Don't you want to unlock your battery?" "No, really, you should unlock it" :)

in other words they are letting supply shift to new cells. like they did now for performance seats (Limiting it to one car- then to all)
Here are similar situations:
- AWD (Getting it ready for X)
- Alcantara Headliner
- Old performance seats
- New Performance seats
and probably somethings I can't remember

You weren't implying that they were supply constrained - you were implying the were Guiney-pigging untested new hidden technology on the 70 until they get real world data.

They've never done that before.

On every announcement people hope and speculate that they are using some magical never-before published technology for scenario X, Y or Z, which is possible that they may do one day, but there is no prior history of them doing that.

You weren't implying that they were supply constrained - you were implying the were Guiney-pigging untested new hidden technology on the 70 until they get real world data.

They've never done that before.

On every announcement people hope and speculate that they are using some magical never-before published technology for scenario X, Y or Z, which is possible that they may do one day, but there is no prior history of them doing that.

This.

People are going out on some logical limbs with the "new cell" stuff methinks.

Hmm - I wonder what the 70D screen shows?
If it can only get 85% then this question is answered - at least the one about it being a charge limited 85K pack :)