Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be clear, Homelink works for me from 75' or more away no problem. My BMW had roughly the same range, perhaps a bit more. My request is for the button to present when xx feet away from door so I can touch it and open. Now to open far enough away I need to touch 'H' then touch the door.

The Homelink on my Model S has terrible range. I've got to be no more than 20" from the garage door, and even then I have to press the "button" about ten times before it opens. My other car, with the same garage door, works from about 75 feet.

FWIW for you folks having range issues.... try this:

Go to the opener and locate the antennae, try repositioning it to different angles. You'll be shocked to find out how much it affects range.

It should be nothing more than about an 8" wire hanging around the back.

May not be the same for all openers, but its been pretty consistent over the years of openers.

Last edited:
Took me several tries to get it working...but it finally did !

i really like how it remembers your location and auto presents itself on your screen when you approach your door..smart !

CDN Sig # 151 VIN 2113

Does anyone who backs into their garage have a problem with the door not opening? I assume the xmitter is in the front of the car since that's where you put the remote during training.

I don't back in but when I pull away (do a three point turn in order to pull straight out due to very narrow driveway near the street) and I am more than 15 feet away it won't work. I have to back up a little until it works.

Im getting around 75-100 ft for my gate and around the same for the garage.

Again, if you have an antenna hanging off the back of the operator, try changing directions like the old analog TV days .... it really helped mine (MS and with previous vehicles).

Last edited:
I just went out and tried this for you. Big problem. Range isn't good enough. Best to get some others to try it as well, as there might be something wrong with my car. My Homelink seems to have poor range even when the car is aiming at the door.

My Audi A8 homelink always sucked when it came to range. It was so bad, I used a separate control unit. Never touched the homelink again.

Anyone experience any difficulty pairing with the garage door opener?
Mine failed despite saying all steps were complete. The car shut
down - no computer, no dash, no going anywhere - then mysteriously
rebooted itself a couple of hours later.
Remote does not work and the service team is scratching their heads.
Any thoughts out there?

Anyone experience any difficulty pairing with the garage door opener?

Pairing with Homelink is more of an art than a science. Regardless of car type, you typically have to use a combination of the garage door opener instructions, the car instructions, and several tries to get it to work. Of course, some lucky folks have it work on the first try--I'm not among them. The good news is that once you've figured out the correct combination for your particular car/garage opener pair, it will work the first time the next time you have to pair them up.

Mine failed despite saying all steps were complete. The car shut
down - no computer, no dash, no going anywhere - then mysteriously
rebooted itself a couple of hours later.
Remote does not work and the service team is scratching their heads.
Any thoughts out there?

Not really. WAG is a problem with one of the chips in the car (e.g. memory). But there could easily be other reasons.

Im getting around 75-100 ft for my gate and around the same for the garage.

Again, if you have an antenna hanging off the back of the operator, try changing directions like the old analog TV days .... it really helped mine (this is with previous vehicles).
+1 to this. You can also add some length to the antenna. I had some of this: 1555 that my dad gave me and simply cut about 2 feet of it. I then stripped some of the insulation off of the end of the antenna wire (purple wire in pic below) and the wire I had and twisted the ends together. Ran the new wire up and tied it around the support. Range is MUCH better now. I was having poor range from all sources - Jeep, Roadster, and Model S homelink, even the remotes that came w/ the opener wouldn't work very well.

20121225_225545.jpg

I'm having new issues with my home link all the sudden with 4.1. I have to point the front of the car to the garage to open it. This is problematic because I can't close the door when I drive out. I could open and close the door no problem with my other cars and even down the street it worked fine forwards or backwards so it's definitely the tesla. Any ideas?