Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Y open garage door without myQ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Run a speed test on your internet browser. It should give you the latency and internet speeds. High latency may result in delay in opening the door. Try opening the garage door with your phone first and compare the delay when MyQ does it. If there is a significant delay in the car MyQ vs the Phone MyQ app then you know who to blame!
My free trial expired today and I don't feel like paying just to test. I'll try speedtest on my browser, but myQ worked well 80-90% of the time.

Last edited:
You are willing to pay for the subscription to do more testing? Your trial has expired, right?
I have experienced similar symptoms during my myQ trial, only that in my case it worked 10-15% of the time and failed 85-90%, lol. (not really kidding though).
I am sure in my case a poor cell connection was to blame.
Did you ever experience that when you pulled away, it shows "closing", forever, and doesn't recover?
It makes sense that all myQ problems are caused by intermittently bad cellular Internet connections. The folks that have reliable myQ operation probably have consistantly strong cellular Internet.

No, I didn't experience the problem you had pulling away but I probably would have eventually.

Where exactly did you velcro it? I am looking for a good spot.
Have a picture?
GOPR0005-quarter.jpg

My free trial expired today and I don't feel like paying just to test. I'll try speedtest on my browser, but myQ worked well 80-90% of the time.
I meant run a speed test on your internet browser in your car! It does not cost you anything. Do it with your car Wi-Fi turned off so that you get a sense of what the data speed in your car will be including the latency. You can compare that to your phone and also the Wi-Fi as well.

www.speedtest.net or fiber.google.com should give you a good idea

You are willing to pay for the subscription to do more testing? Your trial has expired, right?
I have experienced similar symptoms during my myQ trial, only that in my case it worked 10-15% of the time and failed 85-90%, lol. (not really kidding though).
I am sure in my case a poor cell connection was to blame.
Did you ever experience that when you pulled away, it shows "closing", forever, and doesn't recover?
You do not have to pay anything to run a speedtest on your internet browser thats already in your car. As long as you have the premium connectivity package with Tesla it is free!

Reactions: flixden
I meant run a speed test on your internet browser in your car! It does not cost you anything. Do it with your car Wi-Fi turned off so that you get a sense of what the data speed in your car will be including the latency. You can compare that to your phone and also the Wi-Fi as well.

I understand. I'll do it later today several times and post the results.

I ran speedtest.net several times on my car's browser to test my car’s AT&T cellular connection in front of my house:

Download 38.91 Mbps - Upload 0.95 Mbps - Ping 90 ms
Download 46.67 Mbps - Upload 1.07 Mbps - Ping 95 ms
Download 34.38 Mbps - Upload 1.99 Mbps - Ping 101 ms
Download 32.58 Mbps - Upload 3.91 Mbps - Ping 101 ms

My car’s cellular Internet looks OK to me. I’m stumped, but HomeLink is working fine.

Reactions: arvindm
I ran speedtest.net several times on my car's browser to test my car’s AT&T cellular connection in front of my house:

Download 38.91 Mbps - Upload 0.95 Mbps - Ping 90 ms
Download 46.67 Mbps - Upload 1.07 Mbps - Ping 95 ms
Download 34.38 Mbps - Upload 1.99 Mbps - Ping 101 ms
Download 32.58 Mbps - Upload 3.91 Mbps - Ping 101 ms

My car’s cellular Internet looks OK to me. I’m stumped, but HomeLink is working fine.
These are pretty respectable numbers. The latency is a little too long which may be confusing the MyQ servers. Just stick to HomeLink and keep MyQ as a backup without paying the subscription. You can always whip out the phone or use it remotely in the event you need to open the garage door for a neighbor or a family member.

I've seen in other threads where Tesla myQ users with similar problems changed to a newer model myQ hub and thier problems were solved.

I'm wondering which myQ hubs are used by folks here with problems? I have a 10-year old Chamberlain CIGBU/C. Its worked perfectly for 10 years on everything but my new Tesla.

The HomeLink does not use any Wi-Fi or Cellular signals. It uses RF signals directly from the transmitter to the opener. You will not have any problems as long as you are within the RF signal range. MyQ on the other hand is dependent on so many external factors including cellular/Wi-Fi signals and the connection between the hub and MyQ servers and the communication back from MyQ servers to the hub and from the hub to the garage opener! So in reality communication can be delayed or lost in any part of the circuitous route that one measly signal takes!

Reactions: Bill D
I've been using MyQ now since August and am very pleased with it so far. It sometimes gets confused when the car switches between wifi and cellular, but it recovers within a few seconds. I've never had to perform any resets, it just works. However, I do not use the proximity feature, as it doesn't fit our wants. I would rather be in control of when the door opens and closes.

Reactions: Jacob Vega
I've been using MyQ now since August and am very pleased with it so far. It sometimes gets confused when the car switches between wifi and cellular, but it recovers within a few seconds. I've never had to perform any resets, it just works. However, I do not use the proximity feature, as it doesn't fit our wants. I would rather be in control of when the door opens and closes.
Concerning your switching between wifi and cellular - On your wifi settings you'll see a check box "Remain Connected in Drive". If you leave this box unchecked, your car will only connect to wifi when it is in "Park". As long as it's not in Park you'll always be on cellular and never switch to wifi.

• Informative
Concerning your switching between wifi and cellular - On your wifi settings you'll see a check box "Remain Connected in Drive". If you leave this box unchecked, your car will only connect to wifi when it is in "Park". As long as it's not in Park you'll always be on cellular and never switch to wifi.
Why is it concerning?. you are on WiFi when parked in garage then switch to cell when you pull out and that's when it gets sketchy

Why is it concerning?. you are on WiFi when parked in garage then switch to cell when you pull out and that's when it gets sketchy
I was reffering to Mike728's comment "It sometimes gets confused when the car switches between wifi and cellular". I was pointing out that the car's WiFi is never connected while the car is moving unless "Remain Connected in Drive" is checked.

I was reffering to Mike728's comment "It sometimes gets confused when the car switches between wifi and cellular". I was pointing out that the car's WiFi is never connected while the car is moving unless "Remain Connected in Drive" is checked.
The car switches to Wi-Fi when it detects your pre configured Wi-Fi connection to be in range and good strength, which happens as you are pulling close to your garage. Otherwise it stays in Cellular connection. Since there is no Wi-Fi that can reach while you are driving other than a hot spot on your phone the garage or home Wi-Fi and cellular data will automatically switch to the best available signal.