Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HOMELINK issues

Not sure if anyone else was having a hard time with their homelink setup.

If you are not having luck with the homelink....open up your frunk and place the garage/gate opener in the frunk and hold down the button.

When i did this, the headlights flashed almost immediately.

Apparently the sensor is inside the frunk and sometimes the signal doesn't penetrate through the bumper from the outside. (the on screen instructions tell you to point the garage door opener directly at the bumper).

Hope that helps!

If you are not having luck with the homelink....open up your frunk and place the garage/gate opener in the frunk and hold down the button.
Apparently the sensor is inside the frunk and sometimes the signal doesn't penetrate through the bumper from the outside. (the on screen instructions tell you to point the garage door opener directly at the bumper).
Hope that helps!
Thank you for the tip.
And here's a tip for you...
Join us in our local community
TESLA LA Club
We have an event on 1/26/13! :cool:

Hope that helps!
Bingo! And placing the remote on the floor of the Frunk helps. Hovering it didn't seem to do the trick for me.

Thanks!

Hope that helps!

Great tip - it works!

Hope that helps!

Just echoing others' comments that this does work. After getting some bizarre advice from Tesla's call centre and then the user manual, which seems to differ between the US and Canada... followed the advice to put the garage remote on the floor of the frank. I had to fiddle a bit til I realized it was supposed to be on the bumper side of the frunk, dead centre, and as you said, the lights blinked immediately. Amazing how sensitive it is to location.

My range seems to be about 80 feet for opening and closing, and 50 feet for the homelink proximity popup.

My Homelink menu keeps appearing and disappearing, it's so annoying. Even after I tap on the Homelink icon. It stays open for like 5 seconds and disappears. It always disappears as I'm about to press the garage button, and I end up pressing on the Navigation app. ARGH!!!!!!!!!

I had jumping homelink, too. I have reason to believe the GPS location of my car was jumping around (don't ask me how I know). A reboot cleared it up.

I found that by parking just 30 feet away from the door, I cured my Hopping Homelink problem. My driveway essentially encircles my garage, so it would pop up, then disappear, then pop up, then disappear, then pop up again. By parking next to the third garage door and reprogramming, rather than the first door, I solved the problem and it only pops up once.

I found that by parking just 30 feet away from the door, I cured my Hopping Homelink problem. My driveway essentially encircles my garage, so it would pop up, then disappear, then pop up, then disappear, then pop up again. By parking next to the third garage door and reprogramming, rather than the first door, I solved the problem and it only pops up once.

Well, I for one suggest they add 100ft to the geo fence and/or offer the ability to turn the feature off.

Im in the position of having a garage door and a gate 150ft apart and the homelink pops up, disappears and is otherwise a chore as a result.....

Well, I for one suggest they add 100ft to the geo fence and/or offer the ability to turn the feature off.

Im in the position of having a garage door and a gate 150ft apart and the homelink pops up, disappears and is otherwise a chore as a result.....

+1

That's my situation. I have a gate that leads to my garages 300ft away. Not only does the Homelink menu hop around, the color of the garage buttons changes constantly from green to grey and vise-versa as i'm driving between the gate and garage. I'm just using my old-school garage opener now :)

I have the same gate sequence and have found it to work perfectly, no issues whatsoever. The menu comes up right before each gate. I believe that when you do your programming the car must be fully booted up for a few minutes to allow the GPS to locate your position in detail, and the car must be physically in the position that you want your menu to appear.

Was horribly frustrated by programing the homelink. Thanks to this thread I finally got it to work! Opening the frunk was the key but it wasn't that simple. I started with it in the floor of the frunk and it didn't work. Then while keeping the button on the remote pressed I slowly moved it up to where the light is, then over the top edge by the latch. This is where it worked immediately. Hold it within 1-2" of the car. This was after many many tries using the directions on the display screen. Thanks for the help!

After using Homelink for a little more than a month, I've found it's pretty much useless for me.

I back into my garage, so for a great majority of the time, whether I'm pulling in or out, the nose of the car is pointed towards the street, and the signal doesn't get to my garage, and I need to grab my old remote (and roll down the window) and press the button.

I don't know if a firmware update can increase the signal strength, but if so, it would be much appreciated!

After using Homelink for a little more than a month, I've found it's pretty much useless for me.

I back into my garage, so for a great majority of the time, whether I'm pulling in or out, the nose of the car is pointed towards the street, and the signal doesn't get to my garage, and I need to grab my old remote (and roll down the window) and press the button.

I don't know if a firmware update can increase the signal strength, but if so, it would be much appreciated!

I also back in but have not had any problems. And weirdly I only use the Homelink to open and close my garage. The wired physical button hasn't worked for 6 months and I am too lazy to fix it. My house is on the right (when coming home) so I typically pull past the driveway, then back in. My Homelink works from the street, I press it when I change from D -> R. I am maybe 50' from my garage at that point.

And the location awareness has picked up on that location and auto-dropdowns the menu when I am there. I originally programmed my Homelink sitting directly under the opener. I couldn't get a 'learn' from anywhere else.

Granted I have the garage door antennas pulled out and dangling tackily in my garage for better reception.

I think I need to delete and reprogram my Homelink after 4.2, to see if it improves this behavior: When arriving home, I approach my garage door from above (driveway slopes down to garage), head-in from 90 degrees, maybe 30 feet away, and Homelink has no problem opening the door with one press of the button. When leaving, I back straight out, and must close the door at close range (nose maybe 5 feet from the door), before turning 90 degrees to head up the driveway. When closing the door during departures, Homelink starts closing the door, but stops after six inches of progress, forcing me to press the button multiple times before it "takes", and fully closes the door. I have tried pressing and holding, pressing multiple times quickly, etc.

Has anyone else experienced this stop-and-start behavior? I did all my programming from outside a closed Frunk, at close range. I may try again with new batteries in the old remote, from inside the Frunk as described in this thread.