Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Me Crowdfund My Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who needs a house when you have a model s:confused:
Lol! Now to convince my wife...

But honestly, is there anyone out there who thinks that what I'm offering isn't a good value for the advertisers? That $200 for an ad on the car that will be seen at races, car shows, try to break records, and work to build a large social media following is a bad deal?

If all I need to do is to generate publicity, I'll go for it, if it won't ever work because there's no value in it for the customers, I probably shouldn't make such an investment. Coming from my research engineer background, I'm not really an expert in marketing and such.

My brother owns a trucking/warehouse business here in Sacramento CA, maybe an advertisement in Seattle would get him some business. Perhaps Seattle based trucking companies have trucks who need to use a warehouse here in Sac could use him.
Ill talk it over with him and see what he says
if I knew more people who could use advertising I'd definitely pass it on to them.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol! Now to convince my wife...

But honestly, is there anyone out there who thinks that what I'm offering isn't a good value for the advertisers? That $200 for an ad on the car that will be seen at races, car shows, try to break records, and work to build a large social media following is a bad deal?

If all I need to do is to generate publicity, I'll go for it, if it won't ever work because there's no value in it for the customers, I probably shouldn't make such an investment. Coming from my research engineer background, I'm not really an expert in marketing and such.
There is definitely some value in this, model s draws in a lot of attention. Having ads on it would mean those eyes would notice those ads
i rarely pay attention to billboards, but if there was a rare car with ads I'd definitely stare at it, simultaneously noticing the advertisement

Thanks for the help and encouragement. If more people on the forum could help out I'm sure it will work. Also, if I can just confirm the value, I'll go ahead and finalize.
Unfortunately this might take some time, not too many people have heard about your site.
May I recommend you make some sort of a business card and hand them out to businesses you think are likely to advertise on a vehicle, for example
tire shops- what better way for tire shops to advertise than a vehicle that will be shown at drag races, possible record breakings and more
youre gonna need lighter 19 inch wheels to make the car faster and more efficient, so see of any wheel manufacturers are willing to buy an ad- same as with tires, no better way to advertise your wheels than on a race mobile
autoparts stores- same as the above, target audience

All of those places have a significant chance of buying ad space because of the specific audience that will be targeted AKA people that love cars.

I remember a while ago there were companies mostly wheel manufacturers that would give 50% discounts to BMW M5 members who bought their wheels and show them off at places like MFEST or Bimmerfest

Unfortunately this might take some time, not too many people have heard about your site.
May I recommend you make some sort of a business card and hand them out to businesses you think are likely to advertise on a vehicle, for example
tire shops- what better way for tire shops to advertise than a vehicle that will be shown at drag races, possible record breakings and more
youre gonna need lighter 19 inch wheels to make the car faster and more efficient, so see of any wheel manufacturers are willing to buy an ad- same as with tires, no better way to advertise your wheels than on a race mobile
autoparts stores- same as the above, target audience

All of those places have a significant chance of buying ad space because of the specific audience that will be targeted AKA people that love cars.

I remember a while ago there were companies mostly wheel manufacturers that would give 50% discounts to BMW M5 members who bought their wheels and show them off at places like MFEST or Bimmerfest
True. It still comes down to the chicken and egg problem of I need the car to get the sponsorship but I need the sponsorship to (responsibly) get the car. I'll think a lot on it this weekend. It's a shame my 3 year old broke his arm falling off his bed yesterday as my wife won't probably be able to make the test drive tomorrow which could help convince her to go ahead and buy.

I was once offered $1,000 to display my Roadster at a local car dealer for a weekend while they had a sales event. I didn't have to be there. Nobody would have been driving it or getting in it. I said no. It's funny because I went to several Tesla events for FREE!

The first unit sold on Ebay for $9.50, though only 350 or so people saw it. It seems that spreading the word is the biggest problem now. Let's see what I can do and how I can use this sale to help build some momentum.

I was once offered $1,000 to display my Roadster at a local car dealer for a weekend while they had a sales event. I didn't have to be there. Nobody would have been driving it or getting in it. I said no. It's funny because I went to several Tesla events for FREE!

Seriously? Maybe I can get some stuff like that as well. I'm surprised you didn't do it.

Seriously? Maybe I can get some stuff like that as well. I'm surprised you didn't do it.

My car was fairly new and I was having so much fun with it at the time that I didn't want to part with it and drive a gasser for a weekend. Plus I would have wasted several hours detailing the car, getting there and back... I would have had to leave the car there and get home somehow and my wife was busy.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you following this thread?
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/9148-Model-S-X-as-a-taxi-or-fleet-vehicle/page7

who knows, you might get oil/gas companies to jump at the ironic nature of it. seeing "Exon", "Mobile","Chevron", "BP" or "Quaker State", plastered on an EV would be quite a site, perhaps a bit shameless, but certainly a dumbfounding conversation starter of sorts. It might even get some press due to the unusual nature of the juxtaposition. advertising doesn't actually need to be positive, simple brand recognition is really what it comes down to and big oil knows it. OTOH, BP in particular, might want to be seen as pro green. who knows?

My car was fairly new and I was having so much fun with it at the time that I didn't want to part with it and drive a gasser for a weekend. Plus I would have wasted several hours detailing the car, getting there and back... I would have had to leave the car there and get home somehow and my wife was busy.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you following this thread?
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/9148-Model-S-X-as-a-taxi-or-fleet-vehicle/page7

I was following that, but I don't have time to be a taxi driver :p

Now oil companies, that would be hilarious. I should email BP about that. They could become the primary sponsor and then the news could read, BP Team Sets Electric Vehicle Distance Record...

I'm actually reading a book right now that discusses situations like this in detail. Here's a snippet from a relevant section:

What Money Can't Buy said:
For example, Dan Ariely, one of a number of behavioral economists, did a series of experiments demonstrating that paying people to do something may elicit less effort from them than asking them to do it fro free, especially if it's a good deed. He tells a real-life anecdote that illustrates his findings. The American Association of Retired Persons asked a group of lawyers if they would be willing to provide legal services to needy retirees at a discounted rate of $30 an hour. The lawyers refused. Then the AARP asked if they would provide legal advice to the needy retirees for free. The lawyers agreed. Once it was clear they were being asked to engage in a charitable activity rather than a market transaction, the lawyers responded charitably.

A growing body of work in social psychology offers a possible explanation for this commercialization effect. These studies highlight the difference between intrinsic motivations (such as moral conviction or interest in the task at hand) and external ones (such as money or other tangible rewards). When people are engaged in an activity they consider intrinsically worthwhile, offering them money may weaken their motivation by depreciating or "crowding out" their intrinsic interest or commitment. Standard economic theory construes all motivations, whatever their character or source, as preferences and assumes they are additive. But this misses the corrosive effect of money.

---

I've made my (refundable) reservation but I can't responsibly afford a Model S yet. I desperately want to drive a Tesla as it is the only EV that will work for my family right now. So my idea is www.YourAdOnMyTesla.com. It works by covering the car in bumper sticker sized ads. A Model S on its own attracts a lot of attention, but I plan to take it further by being active in drag races, car shows, and distance record attempts. All of which should hopefully get pictures of the car and the ads in the news and blogs. I'll mention ad sponsors on the website and the social network pages associated with YourAdOnMyTesla.

Here's a few other ideas if you're short on money:

Free mortgage if you make your home into an Adzookie ad - Apr. 5, 2011
In-Your-Face Marketing: Ad Agency Rents Foreheads - WSJ.com
Advertising - The Body as Billboard - Your Ad Here - NYTimes.com
Mom sells face space for tattoo advertisement | Deseret News
A brand-new name for Daddy's eBaby

Edit: Also, it seems even the police find your idea attractive:

Ad watch: Police sponsors put Littleton cruiser on the road - The Boston Globe

Last edited:
Have you tried submitting your webpage to auto news sites such as autoblog(green) or Jalopnik? Perhaps they could run something on a slow news day...

You could also try writing an article about your own quest and submit it to high gear media... (they have many automotive related websites as well).

I was following that, but I don't have time to be a taxi driver :p

Now oil companies, that would be hilarious. I should email BP about that. They could become the primary sponsor and then the news could read, BP Team Sets Electric Vehicle Distance Record...

I've made my (refundable) reservation but I can't responsibly afford a Model S yet. I desperately want to drive a Tesla as it is the only EV that will work for my family right now. So my idea is www.YourAdOnMyTesla.com. It works by covering the car in bumper sticker sized ads. A Model S on its own attracts a lot of attention, but I plan to take it further by being active in drag races, car shows, and distance record attempts. All of which should hopefully get pictures of the car and the ads in the news and blogs. I'll mention ad sponsors on the website and the social network pages associated with YourAdOnMyTesla.

I also plan to use it for research, as I am an active EV researcher. There will be several studies including:
Required urban infrastructure for apartment dwellers without access to home charging (since this is my situation) and the changes in driving habits from an ICE to EV under such conditions
Another study will be V2G scheduling and dispatch with Model S (as has been discussed in the V2G Thread)

The research will be shared on the site blog, technical papers, and technical conferences, all of which will include pictures of the car and ads.

What I'm asking is if you own your own business, won't you consider buying some ads, and if you don't, can you please follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and spread the word about the site? Thanks so much for helping me achieve my dream of becoming 100% electric with my household so I can help the cause.

www.YourAdOnMyTesla.com

Just remember - if you drag race your car, or place it in any kind of competition or timed event, and post any kind of video, pictures, recognition - or anything, you can (and probably will) have your factory warranty voided. Manufacturers are very specific about this. I know a friend who just had this happen to them with a new BMW. Not the best idea to do, and many people do not know about this.....food for thought.

I personally think that the sticker idea, as others have said, is not the neatest idea - kind of like coming up on a car and seeing the rear end all plastered wiith all kinds of bumper stickers...