Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heads up: Tesla no longer manufacturing NEMA 14-30 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now we just need a worthwhile solution for a 14-30 extension cord. Looking in some threads, my mind went in circles about various options from a 14-50 general extension, 14-50 EV only extension, L6-30 extensions, L6-50 extensions, L14-30 extensions. Just threw me for a loop!

The Palo Alto Service Center had the 14-30 in stock as recently as Dec 2015. My question is are they prone to the same fire problem that caused the 14-50 "recall"?
I really doubt there would be many problems with the 14-30 adapters. It will only pull 24 amps where the 14-50 adapter will try and pull 40 amps.

Any connection using 40 amps has a greater potential to overheat than one only using 24 amps.

• Love
Reactions: wcfree
I still have a few extra 10-30s from my bulk buy of remaining inventory at a local SC. PM if you are interested in getting one.

Has anyone cut one open to see how they report max amperage to the UMC? I would assume it's a simple resistor. Though the connector on the UMC side is unusual, if it's not patented, costs to produce new adapters might be lower than one would suspect...

Has anyone cut one open to see how they report max amperage to the UMC? I would assume it's a simple resistor. Though the connector on the UMC side is unusual, if it's not patented, costs to produce new adapters might be lower than one would suspect...

There is a resistor inside the adapter that goes across the two little pins. Someone hacked one and put a potentiometer to adjust the max amperage outside of the car.

Got this email from Telas today. FYI for anyone who has a 14-30 or older style connectors

"

Because safety is our top priority at Tesla, we want to inform you of an action we’re voluntarily taking to recall a small number of charging adapters.
This recall does not involve the Tesla Wall Connector, Universal Mobile Connector, or the NEMA 14‑50 or 5‑15 adapters that came standard with your Tesla and that most of our customers use for charging. It only involves NEMA 14‑30, 10‑30, and 6‑50 adapters, which are sold separately as accessories and which are used by relatively few of our customers.
In November 2016, we learned about two customers whose NEMA 14‑30 charging adapters overheated. These are the only two such incidents that we know of anywhere in the world and neither resulted in any injuries or property damage. However, out of an abundance of caution, we’re replacing NEMA 14‑30, 10‑30 and 6‑50 adapters that were made years ago by our original supplier.
If you have one of these NEMA 14‑30 adapters and regularly use it, you will receive a replacement from us within the next couple of weeks. Until then, we ask that you stop using your current adapter, and that you instead charge your car in a different way, such as with a Tesla Wall Connector or NEMA 14‑50 adapter (if you have one), or by Supercharging.
Although there have been no incidents with NEMA 10‑30 or 6‑50 adapters, they have some common elements with the NEMA 14‑30, so we will be replacing those as well. These replacements will take about three months to develop and manufacture. In the meantime, since none of these adapters has ever overheated, you can continue to use them if you do not have another way to charge your car.
For more information, including pictures of the relevant adapters, FAQs, and other details related to this recall, please visit the Recall Information page. If you need additional assistance, you can also contact us by phone at 877‑798‑3752 or by email at [email protected].
Thank you for being a Tesla owner. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Tesla | 3500 Deer Creek Road | Palo Alto, CA 94304
Privacy Policy |
"

I guess Tesla did not replace the UMC and 14-50 adapter in the US as they did in Canada. The new Canadian 14-50 limits charging to something below 40 amps (32 amps, I think) now. I still have my original 40amp UMC and adapter, however.

The 14-50 when through a recall back in the day and has been fine for years. This is for the 14-30 (and 10-30 and 6-50 since they use the same internals).