Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
in the past I have regaled you with stories of my MS and the fun and interesting things about it.
Today I have a much more somber story that will fill each and every one of you with dread...

I drove out to Kapolei and back today, and was in need of a long recharge. I pulled into my normal haunts to recharge on a public charger.
the parking lot staff recognized me and gave a hearty "hey Ho" to me as I plugged in for my 4:45 long charge. :smile:
I retired to my cave and watched some TV and caught up on my TMC reading.:biggrin:

My Tesla MS Phone app was at the ready when I decided to check and see how much time I had left to charge.
to my surprise my mileage had only risen about 17 miles and the app was reporting that my car was UNPLUGGED :cursing: with my charging port open.
upon return to my car I discovered the J1772 plug was back in it's cradle and my J1772 adapter still in my car.:eek:
Someone had unplugged my car after only being on the charger for 45 minutes.

was it another EV-er? I doubt it. they could have unplugged it if they need a short charge to get home. but surely they would have restarted me when they were done.
was it a random passer-by? I doubt they would have unplugged me if they just wanted to look at the car.
Even if they did unplug it, they would have replaced the cord back in the J1772 adapter to hide their misguided attempt to see how a socket and plug worked.

that just leaves a despicable person who willfully unplugged me. this evil person must be found and placed in a prison for the criminally insane.:scared:
for the length of time that was lost during the charging session. I now have to make up 4 hours of charging.:cursing:

So sorry to hear about that! I've yet to charge at a public charging station but I would be upset too! Guess not everyone knows proper EV etiquette!

So sorry to hear about that! I've yet to charge at a public charging station but I would be upset too! Guess not everyone knows proper EV etiquette!

It could have been malicious but I also wonder if it might be possibly because of another EVer who was fooled by the lack of indication of charging on the S after some time and thought that your S was done charging. They took the charger, charged their car, and then put the charger back because they thought that you were done charging. Seems a plausible scenario too.

Still think that Tesla's decision to turn off the charging ring because "it might draw attention" should be revisited.

But either way, sorry to hear, dsmith.

It could have been malicious but I also wonder if it might be possibly because of another EVer who was fooled by the lack of indication of charging on the S after some time and thought that your S was done charging. They took the charger, charged their car, and then put the charger back because they thought that you were done charging. Seems a plausible scenario too.

Still think that Tesla's decision to turn off the charging ring because "it might draw attention" should be revisited.

But either way, sorry to hear, dsmith.

I discovered it about 3 hours after starting to charge. if it had been another ev they would have still been charging by the time I got there. also the chargepoint charger indicates the time the charge has been charging. It would have said about 45 minutes. even if they did see 45 minutes they would have hopefully plugged me back in after they topped of, knowing that.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing to do with etiquette, they were just being rude.

Just checked my charge level. 3 minutes remaining... time to go get my car. I wish I had my own charger in my own parking space. hopefully by next year the building will install a new transformer...

I discovered it about 3 hours after starting to charge. if it had been another ev they would have still been charging by the time I got there. also the chargepoint charger indicates the time the charge has been charging. It would have said about 45 minutes. even if they did see 45 minutes they would have hopefully plugged me back in after they topped of, knowing that.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing to do with etiquette, they were just being rude.

Just checked my charge level. 3 minutes remaining... time to go get my car. I wish I had my own charger in my own parking space. hopefully by next year the building will install a new transformer...

They may have not needed a full charge. Could have been that they came to Blaisdell for an errand, charged up for 30 minutes or so while they were there (on a Leaf, you can easily gain a bar or two in 30 minutes, especially if you have the newer Leaf with the 6.6 kW charger), and then left. Not all EVers are knowledgable enough to know that you can check the Chargepoint display to see if current is being drawn.

I'm not saying that this is what happened but I'm just saying that it s possibility. I try to assume non malice as much as possible to people's motives - does that make me a pushover some times? Maybe. lol

In any case, if it had been me in the presumed other EV, I would have plugged you back in after I was done, even if I'd assumed that you were done so actions taken were still problematic. Again, sorry it happened and hope your building gets off their *** and gets the new transformer in so you can install your own outlet to get your charging done at home. :(

hope your building gets off their *** and gets the new transformer in so you can install your own outlet to get your charging done at home. :(

They just need to find about $50K extra in their budget.

- - - Updated - - -

Not all EVers are knowledgable enough to know that you can check the Chargepoint display to see if current is being drawn.
(

I may need to get a Connector protector in the future to prevent their lack of knowledge from affecting me...

and today has to be the best reaction I hope to see over and over again.
As I pulled up to a stop sign. it was funny that all the cars entering the intersection stopped and none proceeded through the intersection. Then I saw her, a beautiful girl wearing a form fitting long dress.:love: She was crossing in front of me from the right. As she got right in front of me, her head started to turn to look at my MS, then down at the License plate, then up at me. She repeated this cycle as she continued to walk. when she was in the middle of the next lane she turned her head to look at the profile of the car, slowing down and almost stopping in the middle of the street to see the car. The smile on her face grew:smile: with every glance she took at me:cool: (or was it the car):biggrin:. As soon as she reached the opposite sidewalk the show was over and the rest of the cars started moving again.
I lingered a few moments more hoping she would come back and ask for a ride.
Later on the local news:
Jim Dandy reporting live from Honolulu. A strange occurrence today as 4 vehicles were found disabled at an intersection with all 4 wheels removed. Traffic was stopped for a few blocks as everyone waited for tow trucks to arrive. It's unclear why the drivers were stopped at the intersection simultaneously for such a long period, and why they didn't notice parts of their vehicles being stolen. No injuries have been reported. Back to you, Sally.

service and loaners

I've been keeping track of a punch list of repairs (relatively minor stuff) that I was hoping to have the service center address eventually - we finally got to the point where we actually sent an email to service asking them to schedule us. We have the 4 year anywhere plan so to make things simple for us, I had requested for Ranger service at my parents' place so that they would not need to take the car anywhere. Luke responded that it might be best to bring the car into the service center to make sure all of the items could be addressed as there were more resources available there. I agreed and they arranged to bring a loaner to swap out the cars.

This is what showed up in our garage:

loaner2.jpg

loaner1.jpg

What was interesting was that this was a brand new 60 kWh car (still had plastic wrap on various parts of the car, including the UMC) and also that it was a no frills base model. I believe that it had the tech package (had walk up handle present as well power liftgate though no seat profile memory ????) but no other options. Paint was white with textile interior and 19 inch wheels. This doesn't seem to fit the profile of a typical loaner car ala Elon's description of the loaner program (P85s that you can trade up to). It does make me wonder though if this was another orphan car.

Our own car is coming home tomorrow - looking forward to getting it back!

I've been keeping track of a punch list of repairs (relatively minor stuff) that I was hoping to have the service center address eventually - we finally got to the point where we actually sent an email to service asking them to schedule us. We have the 4 year anywhere plan so to make things simple for us, I had requested for Ranger service at my parents' place so that they would not need to take the car anywhere. Luke responded that it might be best to bring the car into the service center to make sure all of the items could be addressed as there were more resources available there. I agreed and they arranged to bring a loaner to swap out the cars.

View attachment 26186
View attachment 26187

What was interesting was that this was a brand new 60 kWh car (still had plastic wrap on various parts of the car, including the UMC) and also that it was a no frills base model. I believe that it had the tech package (had walk up handle present as well power liftgate though no seat profile memory ????) but no other options. Paint was white with textile interior and 19 inch wheels. This doesn't seem to fit the profile of a typical loaner car ala Elon's description of the loaner program (P85s that you can trade up to). It does make me wonder though if this was another orphan car.

The manufacturer plate is cool! Too bad you can't keep it on when you get the car. Interesting configuration - perhaps they are trying to get as many "loaners" available in the interim so they're pumping out "base" models for now. What's the manufacture date on the drivers door plate?

The manufacturer plate is cool! Too bad you can't keep it on when you get the car. Interesting configuration - perhaps they are trying to get as many "loaners" available in the interim so they're pumping out "base" models for now. What's the manufacture date on the drivers door plate?

You know, I was going to take a photo of the VIN and the door plate but forgot and just got a call from my mom that Luke (and what seemed like the entire Service Center staff - pickup filled with 6-8 people) came by to return the car so the question about the manufacture date can't be answered at this time ... :)

You know, I was going to take a photo of the VIN and the door plate but forgot and just got a call from my mom that Luke (and what seemed like the entire Service Center staff - pickup filled with 6-8 people) came by to return the car so the question about the manufacture date can't be answered at this time ... :)

when I was at the service center a couple weeks ago, Luke mentioned they had a white orphan. Maybe that's it. Said he had to get plates for it though.

View attachment 26186
View attachment 26187

It may be an orphan. By the way, what did your parents have done?

It may be an orphan. By the way, what did your parents have done?

Fixed seal in left rear tail lamp (had a bug get in there and noticed water and suds accumulating in there when washing the car).
Adjusted headlights lower (too high when driving).
Fixed pano roof residue along driver's side rear edge which was causing streaking when opening the pano roof as well as replacing the rear seal which was working its way off.

Inspect AC compressor which seems inordinately loud when going full blast (deemed WAD).
Inspect touchscreen which freaks out every time we wipe down the dashboard above when cleaning the car (normal operation, don't use microfiber on dashboard).
Inspect HomeLink which recently has been having issues working when reversing into the garage and sometimes even when pulling in even head first and a foot away from the garage door at two separate locations (compatibility check with our Raynor and Liftmaster garage door openers under investigation by Tesla - I may try fixing myself by making the garage door opener antenna longer and repositioning it).

Fixed seal in left rear tail lamp (had a bug get in there and noticed water and suds accumulating in there when washing the car).

Thanks for pointing this out. I have the same issue with the left rear and left front headlights. Bringing it in next week to fix something on my sunroof so will mention that and a couple other things I found --rear left seatbelt doesn't lock, part of shelf under screen sticks out. Hoping to get a P85 loaner :)

Adjusted headlights lower (too high when driving).
Fixed pano roof residue along driver's side rear edge which was causing streaking when opening the pano roof as well as replacing the rear seal which was working its way off.

Inspect AC compressor which seems inordinately loud when going full blast (deemed WAD).
Inspect touchscreen which freaks out every time we wipe down the dashboard above when cleaning the car (normal operation, don't use microfiber on dashboard).
Inspect HomeLink which recently has been having issues working when reversing into the garage and sometimes even when pulling in even head first and a foot away from the garage door at two separate locations (compatibility check with our Raynor and Liftmaster garage door openers under investigation by Tesla - I may try fixing myself by making the garage door opener antenna longer and repositioning it).

Thanks for letting me know. I do hear air leaking from the pano roof but haven't seen any water get in. So far, the rear lights are okay. How do you know if the headlights are too high. Seems to be fine for me.

Thanks for letting me know. I do hear air leaking from the pano roof but haven't seen any water get in. So far, the rear lights are okay. How do you know if the headlights are too high. Seems to be fine for me.

When driving, we're seeing more of the houses on the side of the road being illuminated than we're used to. Also headlight pattern when driving into the garage. Admittedly it's partly your preference.

When Luke checked our car, he did say that the headlights were a few notches above spec and that they put them back to spec.

Our pano never had any water leakage ... but the seal getting loose was very obvious when the pano was set to vent and you stood behind the driver's door. You could see the left edge of the rear pano seal pulling off and goop (sealant) dangling from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.