Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pearl white and rock chips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ted'sla

2024 MYLR in MSM
Jan 20, 2024
Rosharon, Texas
White is better for Texas sun and heat, but white vehicles are so common here. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a(n) MYLR and I've been leaning heavily toward Ultra Red. However, the more I research the Y, the more I hear a common refrain...PPF or ceramic. I've waxed my cars and I even once got snookered by a finance manager for Teflon protection at delivery, along with a maintenance kit that never left the carton. Since I've already decided against aftermarket protection and the associated costs, is a "naked" Pearl White at least a little better than Ultra Red so I don't cringe every time I see my "new" car after the first week? I've always been a stickler on parking far out in parking lots and upwind/uphill from shopping carts abandoned by irresponsible shoppers, but I DO have to drive and there WILL be road debris. Thanks for your help!

OK SAME ISSUE HERE. ^^ Ty for posting this.

Basically, it comes down to the point where every time I see a new rock chip, I get extremely frustrated and it ruins my day. I am leaning towards taking in to a body shop to get a quote to fix all of the dings, or just completely sway in the other direction: ignore the rock chips, realize its a car and its meant to be driven, and just not care anymore. The latter option is obviously better for my mental health but I am not sure I can do it.

When you figure out the best way not to drive yourself nuts, let me know because I could use the guidance as well.

Peace.

OK SAME ISSUE HERE. ^^ Ty for posting this.

Basically, it comes down to the point where every time I see a new rock chip, I get extremely frustrated and it ruins my day. I am leaning towards taking in to a body shop to get a quote to fix all of the dings, or just completely sway in the other direction: ignore the rock chips, realize its a car and its meant to be driven, and just not care anymore. The latter option is obviously better for my mental health but I am not sure I can do it.

When you figure out the best way not to drive yourself nuts, let me know because I could use the guidance as well.

Peace.
The worst part of a new car is the first ding. I'll try to make this story short:

I did a trade-repurchase (incorrectly called an "MSRP swap") that took about 15 months of frustration - a new fully-loaded 2023 Bolt EUV Premier for my 2020 Bolt EV Premier (the way overblown fire recall - 20 Bolts out of 141,000 actually burned) plus a check for $5,702.78 for the decrease in MSRP (the 2020 sticker was $44k, but I paid $24k new - I made out like a bandit on both ends). Not long after I got the 2020, I was so upset when I later found that the knobby front tire on a dirt bike that got close in the Kroger lot actually scraped my rear bumper clearcoat! Forward to the day I got the 2023, I got caught in Houston I-610 rush hour on the way home and a driver 2 cars up tried to change lanes, then changed her mind, then rear-ended the car in front of her. The car between us barely stopped, I stopped and there wasn't a car immediately behind me. I was shaken, alright, but that's the closest call I've had since that day, 11/2/22. I'm not really faithful as far as washing my vehicles, but I've heard what were probably rocks hitting my front and I just write them off to adding "personality" to my car. A car IS made to drive, not to be a trophy or a false god in my garage.

So, the question is: are Teslas more susceptible to damage because of the paint quality or the drag coefficient (angles) OR is it a cult mindset that the car has to stay perfect or it's not worthy of love? I'll be driving one soon, so I'm not disparaging Tesla owners, but is the mystique so overwhelming that "the peace which passeth all understanding" isn't enough? (I've already sworn to not break the 1st Commandment with a Tesla!)

White is better for Texas sun and heat, but white vehicles are so common here. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a(n) MYLR and I've been leaning heavily toward Ultra Red. However, the more I research the Y, the more I hear a common refrain...PPF or ceramic. I've waxed my cars and I even once got snookered by a finance manager for Teflon protection at delivery, along with a maintenance kit that never left the carton. Since I've already decided against aftermarket protection and the associated costs, is a "naked" Pearl White at least a little better than Ultra Red so I don't cringe every time I see my "new" car after the first week? I've always been a stickler on parking far out in parking lots and upwind/uphill from shopping carts abandoned by irresponsible shoppers, but I DO have to drive and there WILL be road debris. Thanks for your help!
I cannot imagine that color makes much of a difference to a Tesla. The cabin is all glass, and the same regardless of color. The only exception is, of course, the door sides. I suggest getting the color you want.

Nice first World problems. It is unrealistic to expect to drive a car around for thousands of miles and never get a stone chip, ding or rub mark.

You can either purchase a plastic protective wrap, or live with an occasional chip. Nobody else cares but you.

@Ted'sla I endorse your white car theory to minimize the appearance of paint chips caused by rocks. The front bumper of my white model 3 looks like it has been through an asteroid field but it easily passes the 6 ft test - you really can’t see this from 6 ft away. I wash my cars often but only occasionally do the really detailed cleaning where I get up close and personal with this really low to the ground area. It causes me next to no concern. Five years and counting.

I also have a black model X. It has next to no chips. I have never been particularly good with touch up paint, but the Tesla touch up paint kit is superb. Touched up spots pass my 1 ft test. Six years and counting.

I recently got a model S. It is stealth gray (which is near black if you haven’t seen this new color yet) and really low to the ground. I spent days thinking about whether to PPF it. Like all cars I buy, I plan to keep it longterm. In the end I have decided no to PPF but I am saying yes to mudflaps and I am getting the car ceramic coated (which doesn’t help against chips). The main basis of my decision against PPF is going back to my 6 ft rule. I just won’t stand on my head and look that low. 😏 And also the cost. I can spend a lot to touch up chips and still be cheaper than PPF. Time will tell how I feel about this decision in the long run.

Nice first World problems. It is unrealistic to expect to drive a car around for thousands of miles and never get a stone chip, ding or rub mark.

You can either purchase a plastic protective wrap, or live with an occasional chip. Nobody else cares but you.
Sorry, but I live in the first world. Should I instead ask the best way to carry a jug of water 30 miles in Ethiopia?

What’s the question here? I think your color preference and cost should take precedence to stone chips. White is easy to fix but will show more as dark specs for chips that penetrated the layers otoh some hits will not take all coats. On darker colors (except black) shallow chips are less noticeable but deep ones will show as bright specs. All are easy to fix either diy or detailer so you won’t notice from more than 3 feet away or sometimes less. Black is the worst color to hide imperfections.

What’s the question here? I think your color preference and cost should take precedence to stone chips. White is easy to fix but will show more as dark specs for chips that penetrated the layers otoh some hits will not take all coats. On darker colors (except black) shallow chips are less noticeable but deep ones will show as bright specs. All are easy to fix either diy or detailer so you won’t notice from more than 3 feet away or sometimes less. Black is the worst color to hide imperfections.
Thanks for your kind answer. I just took my first test drive and they do have the gray in inventory marked down to nearly $2k below the pearl white. I'll make the final call over a couple of beers. But first, I have to pay forward those brewskis with 65 minutes on my elliptical. It's too cold (41F) for a long walk, instead. Have a great rest of your Sunday.

The MSM and Stealth Gray are probably the lowest maintenance colors for chips - every touch up fix tends to disappear. But it’s a heat magnet in the summer.
Thanks and what a coincidence! I went to the League City, TX dealer today with Pearl White in my head and, in fact, that was the color of the demo I drove. But I've always liked the "dignified" dark gray/silver look and when the sales guy pulled up vehicles, the cheapest one was the MYLR in MSM at $44,580 ($4,410 off MSRP). After adding the taxes and fees and deducting the federal tax credit, it's under $39,000. It took less than 30 minutes on my mobile phone to do the whole driver's license, trade-in and Tesla Insurance ($145/mo. to start, unless I can do better by next Saturday at 2 pm). "Teslas are for rich people." Yeah, right.