Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you reserved your Model S or do you plan on it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
William3,
The Signature Series is supposed to come with a 230 mile pack, and is also to be delivered before the general production run. To me, this says that they have the 230 mile pack pretty much ready for production. I have also heard that the 300 mile pack is going to be orderable mid 2012.

The base model battery pack is supposedly going to be 123 miles STANDARD MODE charge / 160 miles RANGE MODE charge. That's not going to cut it for me. Since I don't know when the larger packs will become available I'm hesitant to order one yet. I'm also not going to order one until they offer Adaptive Cruise Control -- and again -- that may not be available during the first model year. I *do* want to buy one, but as this thread is all about "are you going to preorder one", I'm not so sure that I'm going to preorder. Last I heard was that they charge a "cancellation fee" if you change your mind. No thanks.

The 160 and 230 mile packs will be available on launch and the 300 mile pack may be there too from what I've read. The reservation fee is 99% refundable (you lose $50) so not too bad. You might be better off waiting like you said until closer to production when all of the features and specs are well know and confirmed.

edit: sorry, they canceled the reservation cancellation fee (missed the above post, thanks qwk)

Last edited:
The base model battery pack is supposedly going to be 123 miles STANDARD MODE charge / 160 miles RANGE MODE charge. That's not going to cut it for me. Since I don't know when the larger packs will become available I'm hesitant to order one yet. I'm also not going to order one until they offer Adaptive Cruise Control -- and again -- that may not be available during the first model year. I *do* want to buy one, but as this thread is all about "are you going to preorder one", I'm not so sure that I'm going to preorder. ....

This pretty much jives with us. Including the Adaptive cruise control. One of the three greatest inventions for cars of late (with Keyless entry and NAV).

I do plan to order a Model S. I'd like to replace my Murano with it; right now I'm keeping it mainly to drive in the winter, and to occasionally haul stuff that won't fit in the Roadster. I drive it so rarely that I almost didn't make it to the airport a couple of weeks ago because the battery went flat sitting in my garage. :eek: Of course that will change soon when the snowstorms start.

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth bothering to put in a deposit now -- whether it will have any significant impact on the delivery date. Tesla claims they're launching the S simultaneously in USA and Canada (and elsewhere) but I'm a little bit skeptical.

I do plan to order a Model S. I'd like to replace my Murano with it; right now I'm keeping it mainly to drive in the winter, and to occasionally haul stuff that won't fit in the Roadster. I drive it so rarely that I almost didn't make it to the airport a couple of weeks ago because the battery went flat sitting in my garage. :eek: Of course that will change soon when the snowstorms start.

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth bothering to put in a deposit now -- whether it will have any significant impact on the delivery date. Tesla claims they're launching the S simultaneously in USA and Canada (and elsewhere) but I'm a little bit skeptical.
I had the same dilemma. I'm sick and tired of ICE cars, and don't really care for the offerings from other companies. I need a car that seats more than two, so the roadster doesn't help. I was going to wait to reserve one also, but after doing some # crunching, decided to reserve now. The main things that swayed me were;
Reservations are picking up(3k now)
First year production likely limited to 7k units
Iceland 1k order(puts reservations @4k)
My 5k helps the company in liquidity

Excellent points qwk! I reserved a Model S just little over a year ago. While Tesla has not officially said anything regarding the Iceland order, there may be additional future reservations from electric utilities and perhaps a large number of reservations from companies such as GE.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

So, no, I haven't reserved my Model S yet. When they were introduced, I decided throwing my daughter her dream wedding was more important. (People are still talking about it). That helped me refocus and I decided to wait till the factory deal was final - what a twisty road that turned out to be.

So, then I'm on track for using my 2010 bonus pay (next March) to put a down payment on a tricked out S and set a bunch aside for 'seed money' toward the delivery. But a series of substantial uninsured home repairs pretty much cleaned out my operating capital and the bonus check will have to get me back on track. But, what the heck, I'll still be okay with the $5,000 reservation fee. Right?

Well, maybe, but it doesn't matter. I totaled my Saturn. Damn! (In my defense, I wrecked it on a dangerous shortcut - but I kept driving every day, so I guess that's not much of a defense). I have to replace it now. I considered just a beater to get me to and from work, but I'm not doing a one hour commute without all leather everything and power everything and the creature comforts I've come to enjoy. I'm stubborn and I'm not 'stepping down' in the car market.

So, I'm out of the Tesla market for a while, I guess. No reservation fee from me.

But I'm going to seriously consider getting the least amount of accouterments that I can tolerate. I'll let you guys work the bugs out and then dive in for the Model S 2.0, whenever that comes out.

But I'm going to seriously consider getting the least amount of accouterments that I can tolerate. I'll let you guys work the bugs out and then dive in for the Model S 2.0, whenever that comes out.

Sorry to hear about your home repairs but sounds like you spent your money wisely and gave your daughter a great wedding so congrats.
I guess you could always buy a used, nice car to hold you over until 2013 sometime. Telsa should be ramping up production by then and you can just place your order at that point.

Several months ago he went to the Tesla web site to put in his deposit using his credit card but being in Canada, it didn't let him. It sorta turned him off and since there is no dealer in Ottawa, he hasn't bothered following through. He does say he will definitely buy one, he just isn't in a hurry to put his deposit in. When he does, I'll let you all know what number he gets.

Just FYI, you can put in your credit card reservation at https://www.teslamotors.com/own?model=ms . Works in Canada.

...there may be additional future reservations from electric utilities and perhaps a large number of reservations from companies such as GE.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

I heard GE was starting with GM Volts... hopefully because the Model S doesn't exist yet. But I haven't heard of any deposits by GM on Model S's. But I like GE's attitude... I might buy some of their stock.

As for the Model S reservations, I am not the type to give money to someone for them to hold it for me... but I was sick of ICE cars and was ready to make the jump to electric. My fear of commitment lead me to the "Lease a Roadster until the Model S" deal. So yes I have a deposit and reservation, but I see it mainly as my fallback plan. If I don't like the Model S, I just keep the Roadster for the term of my lease. If I do like it, then I trade up.

In the meantime, I am having loads of fun with my Roadster. I drive it everyday. The other night, my wife was out with friends. Some guy was trying to impress the girls with his Ferrari SA Aperta. My wife convinced him to let her drive it. She was unimpressed... she told him, "My husband's Tesla has more kick." He said, "WTF is a Tesla!" When she walked in the door that night, she wouldn't stop High-5ing me. (I told her if she comes across a Porshe Turbo S to keep her mouth shut!)

I just got my reservation # today. Its #2681 reserved on Nov.8, payment sent in on the 9th. So it takes about a week between sending payment and getting the #(I did e-mail and ask though).

On another note reservations seem to be picking up. There is a guy on the Tesla forums who wrote that he reserved on Nov. 6, and his sequence # is 2627. That is about 50 cars per week.

Congrats qwk!! Your reservation # is half of what mine is. Consider the revenue to Tesla on the first 3000 vehicles sold and delivered. Not sure if that is enough to get them out of the red but it will get them on the proper road :biggrin:

Thanks. When did you reserve yours?

I'm sure that they will sell out the first year of production soon enough.

Congrats qwk!! Your reservation # is half of what mine is. Consider the revenue to Tesla on the first 3000 vehicles sold and delivered. Not sure if that is enough to get them out of the red but it will get them on the proper road :biggrin: