Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has your car shut down before it hits zero?

Has your car shut down before it hits zero?

• I have not driven to low double or single digits

Votes: 80 31.3%
  • No

Votes: 163 63.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 13 5.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't had time to look, but in the manual anywhere is this behavior described?

I've drive my cars down to 1 rated mile on several occasions, and down below 10 on several more than that. If the car ever cuts off at > 0 rated miles showing I'm going to be pretty angry.

To this, I think Tesla really needs to expose better battery data. While many people wouldn't know what to do with them, I personally would like to see pack voltage, max/min cell voltages, estimate kWh in/out, etc about the battery pack. This way I don't have to rely on this miles display at all if I don't want to.

Well, I'm the only one who answered yes, so far. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that this happened to me after about 2 1/2 years of ownership.

I had 3 miles remaining on the dash and I was about a mile from home driving on a 40 mph road, so I made a bad assumption that I would make it ok. It immediately gave the "pull over, shutting down" (or something like that) warning when it hit 2 miles remaining and all power was gone from the accelerator. Luckily, I had enough speed that I was able to coast to a safe place to stop.

Tesla initially tried telling me the tow fees would be my responsibility, since they don't cover running out of juice. Once I explained that, according to the car, I still had 2 miles left, they agreed to cover it, but also said that this was normal behavior.
Wow, that's the first time I've seen that in the summer.

Reactions: jvonbokel
I think Tesla really needs to expose better battery data. While many people wouldn't know what to do with them, I personally would like to see pack voltage, max/min cell voltages, estimate kWh in/out, etc about the battery pack. This way I don't have to rely on this miles display at all if I don't want to.
No, Tesla should not provide more detailed battery data because it would only get the average (average level of knowledge about EVs) user into trouble and the car needs to be designed for the below average user since that is a large fraction of the population.
You are a way above average EV user, and it would not make sense for Tesla to design a car and a UI for your level of knowledge. It is a product for the mass market, and needs to be designed with that in mind.

Reactions: jvonbokel
Well, I'm the only one who answered yes, so far. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that this happened to me after about 2 1/2 years of ownership.

I had 3 miles remaining on the dash and I was about a mile from home driving on a 40 mph road, so I made a bad assumption that I would make it ok. It immediately gave the "pull over, shutting down" (or something like that) warning when it hit 2 miles remaining and all power was gone from the accelerator. Luckily, I had enough speed that I was able to coast to a safe place to stop.

Tesla initially tried telling me the tow fees would be my responsibility, since they don't cover running out of juice. Once I explained that, according to the car, I still had 2 miles left, they agreed to cover it, but also said that this was normal behavior.
Considering where you were with the hills + stop signs... I'm not surprised. Also averaging 357wh/m on trip at 97F while using 19" tires, that's pushing it. Those previous miles were prolly on the freeway, so the range algorithm didn't have a chance to refigure. Very close!

Glad it went relatively smoothly tho. :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

No, Tesla should not provide more detailed battery data because it would only get the average (average level of knowledge about EVs) user into trouble and the car needs to be designed for the below average user since that is a large fraction of the population.
You are a way above average EV user, and it would not make sense for Tesla to design a car and a UI for your level of knowledge. It is a product for the mass market, and needs to be designed with that in mind.
I've found that knowledge of the area (elevation changes, etc) plus the average wh/m for 5/15/30 miles) is plenty of info to get an idea of whether I need to charge or can make it to next stop. Pack voltage + min/max is just noise to the calculations already being displayed for me.

The energy graph and projected range are very useful when at the low end of the battery.
I find that below 50 miles remaining rated range it is more useful when selected for "instant" projected range, rather than the "average" setting over the last 30/15/5 miles.
When battery is low the instant range projection gives you an accurate graphic of your power draw. And you can "see" the difference you get with driving behavior, terrain, and conditions such as wind or rain.
The difference in usage by slowing down, especially when going uphill, is visualized.
The instant feedback assists in discovering acceleration techniques that help to achieve more range.
By watching the energy graph projected range, for instance, I found it interesting that the range seems significantly better when accelerating with "pulses" rather than a slow steady draw.
With two or three modest "pulses' to arrive at a target speed, and then hold steady, the graph shows less overall energy output. Slowing on uphill with pulses to recover some velocity while still allowing overall speed to reduce, then allowing speed to gather (within limits) on a downhill stretch to add momentum to the next climb.
(How often, and for how long you can keep the orange/green energy line near flat or invisible? i.e. "coasting" but not in neutral.)
The timing and strength of acceleration pulses make a difference as well when transitioning down and uphill.
On highway, getting to cruising speed using gentle pulses seems to show less on the graph line, than a slow steady increase in speed.

The technique of pulsing is not preferable for passengers, but can be useful when needing to maximize range.

I'm less certain of that. Technology flows downhill, so what the leaders/professionals do today, the masses do tomorrow. Making something that the above average person really likes will inspire that person to be an evangelist and others will seek to imitate him. Dumbing down the interface and providing less information is not one of those things. The best thing would be to have the ability to configure the display the way you want it. A checkbox for each item wanted, leave unchecked for those items not wanted.

- - - Updated - - -

The energy graph and projected range are very useful when at the low end of the battery.

True but the power metre is very useful.

Reactions: henderrj
217ca4aae89d02be3e3cd3922eda31ad.jpg

No issues but I was nervous. Big accident on I10 made the last 5 miles take an hour.

On the same 2500 km road trip Toronto <-> New York, three days into ownership, we twice got below 15% and on the last leg we got down to 7% remaining.

On the last leg with low state of charge, I saw the dotted line on the dash showing maximum available power, and it was still sufficient to keep going above highway speeds.

Since that trip, only got below 20% once.

My wife tells me that she is comfortable when her car says 150 km remaining rated range when she arrives back in the driveway, otherwise, it's too close. That's why the car will never be tested to the limit unless I am driving...

I've drive my cars down to 1 rated mile on several occasions, and down below 10 on several more than that. If the car ever cuts off at > 0 rated miles showing I'm going to be pretty angry.

Actually the car never cuts out above zero, but when the battery pack is low remaining energy can get used up extremely quickly due to external conditions. If you drive down to 1 mile remaining often enough, sooner or later you'll probably get caught out.

They're welcome to expose, for lack of a better term, dumbed-down info for the masses. Doesn't mean there can't be an option to expose the gory details for me and the others who want to use them. Seems like it would be *easier* to expose the raw data rather than compute other info based on it anyway, so why not?

Reactions: henderrj
I haven't had time to look, but in the manual anywhere is this behavior described?

To this, I think Tesla really needs to expose better battery data. While many people wouldn't know what to do with them, I personally would like to see pack voltage, max/min cell voltages, estimate kWh in/out, etc about the battery pack. This way I don't have to rely on this miles display at all if I don't want to.

Set it to percentage then. If you are at 1% you know you don't have much farther to go. The rated range doesn't mean you'll go as far as t says.

They're welcome to expose, for lack of a better term, dumbed-down info for the masses. Doesn't mean there can't be an option to expose the gory details for me and the others who want to use them. Seems like it would be *easier* to expose the raw data rather than compute other info based on it anyway, so why not?

Exactly, having additional data available via an option setting to those users
that want it is not an unreasonable request. Heck, the mothership is getting
it along with my location so why shouldn't I get to see my data from my MS?

I've been to "CHARGE NOW" twice. The first time I was able to do another 2 miles (up and down my lane road, where I felt safe doing it).

I do know of someone whose car shut down with some miles remaining. Tesla covered the tow, pulled the logs, and sent them to engineering for analysis and study.