Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has your car shut down before it hits zero?

Has your car shut down before it hits zero?

• I have not driven to low double or single digits

Votes: 80 31.3%
  • No

Votes: 163 63.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 13 5.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last winter, after about an hour on the road, I got to about 20 Rated Miles and started getting dire warnings about Charging Now, Power Reduced and something about the battery being too cold. There were both warnings on the center dash as well as pop-ups on the 17" that I had to acknowledge. I was not in Range Mode, and had been driving for some time, so the "Cold" warning was a bit of a head scratcher. It was cold, but not nearly as cold as it gets around here. Maybe just a bit below freezing. All this happened about 1/4 mile from my house, so I just drove home and plugged in. I would have been worrisome if I was still, say, 15 miles out.

I looked and did snap a photo of one of the pop-ups I got. This was around 20 Rated Miles:

IMG_0153.JPG

I get this message whenever I stop the car and the miles are low. I think I've seen it as high as about 50 miles. I also get it more often in the winter when it tells me to charge now rather than waiting for the battery to get cold.

In my case, I wasn't stopped. I had just pulled off the freeway onto surface streets about 2 miles from my house when it popped up. I cleared it and it came up again just as I was pulling into my garage.

No. .... I have been sub zero a few times. The winds outta Indio caught me off guard once and the other time I was going too fast for too long without checking the distance to next supercharger frequently. Great car, great music and I lost my situational awareness as I sailed along. Thankfully I slowed down and only ran sub zero about seven miles to get me to Cabazon CA and about four miles to get to Tejon CA. Slow like 30mph, flashers on, slow lane, embarrassed. 59000 miles so far and I hope my rookie days are behind me! Great planning is my best advise. I like to arrive superchargers with very few miles remaining when traveling long distances to get the speedy 0 to 150 supercharge.... keeps my longest drives to 13-14 hours!!

I looked and did snap a photo of one of the pop-ups I got. This was around 20 Rated Miles:

View attachment 91736

i always wondered why this message would come up when I get low and its like 90-100 degrees outside. do the batteries freeze or something at low state of charge? begs the question what is the temperature of a battery cell at 0% and what is it at 100%?

I don’t ever want to be “that guy” whose Tesla had to get towed, so I am cautious enough that I will never let it get low enough to go below 0. I was on a trip where I did get caught a bit by surprise with some snow and wind. All of the traffic on the highway had to slow down to about 45mph for a while because of low visibility, and then when everyone else got to speed up more, I stayed at about 53mph because I had lost a lot of my buffer to the increased energy use. I got to my next charging stop with about 20 miles left. I also didn’t want to push it down any lower because this was not a Supercharger stop, and I was going to have to kill about 4 hours on a 14-50 outlet to finish getting home late that night. I’ve been down to a little below 50 a couple of other times, and then once when I was on the highway getting near home, I went ahead and pushed the speed some on purpose just to use up some buffer and watch the energy measurements and arrived home with about 9 or 10 left.

There is so much feedback and information you get with this car that if you pay a bit of attention as you go (not just at the last minute), you can be pretty safe to avoid running empty.