Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone willingly returned to the ICE-age?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suppose I was asking whether there are many people who have Leafs/Focus-zes/Volts (sort of...) who are so disappointed with their cars generally or EVs in particular that they couldn't wait to go back to an ICE.

It is sad that EVs generally have not been playing to their strengths (unlike Tesla) so they have not 'enhanced' the cause.

I can't speak for Leafs, or the small number of Focuses and other compliance cars. As far as Volts are concerned, you did notice that the Volt had the highest satisfaction rating of all cars for two years in a row? We're about as passionate as Model S owners. ;)

I only know of one person on the Volt forums who went from a Volt back to an ICE car - a guy who habitually buys a new car every year had his Volt for a year and then bought a Jaguar XF. We've had a few members go to C-Max Energis for the extra seat.

But actually, most of the Volt owners who give up their Volts so far come right here - they chose Volt's over the ~80 mile EV crowd for good reasons, but love the EV experience so much they had to find a solution.

We had a poll recently, and over 40% of the respondents said they'd buy a Model S if price was no object:

If money were no object, what automobile would you buy today?

Hope that helps answer your question. :)
Walter

Gosh NO!

I drove my ICE SUV the other day after driving 10K cross-country in the Tesla.

The acceleration characteristics were just so awkward. And having to brake?

It is definitely not a true comparison in class of vehicle but I needed the higher clearance for the unusual location I was going into.

I almost made it two years of only Tesla driving then needed a rental. Drove a Prius and the beeping (inside the cabin!) while going in reverse was enough to make me want to go back to an EV. That and the acceleration difference.

Except for rental cars when on business trips, no way I'd ever go back. Even for rentals, from now on if I can get a Model S for a rental I will, premium be damned.

When we took a family vacation to Houston last month I found a place that rents Model S's. Boy, was that ever wonderful. Soooo nice to have the Tesla experience away from home.

Last week on a business trip I ended up with a Nissan Sentra for a rental. Nope. On a whim I asked the rental folks what they wanted for one of the Mercedes SUVs. They offered one for $50 more. I took it. Top of the line Mercedes GL 450, three row SUV, base price $70,000. It was absolute JUNK compared to the Model S. Noisy, rattly engine, wallowy, rolly suspension. Idiotic user interface. Sluggish, like a wet sponge.

Tesla is going to clean up with the Model X.

I certainly don't want to go back to an ICE car, but may have to if a new house cramps my style financially. And where we are at now, we only need one car but have two. There's nothing under 100k that tempts me to go back on a purely car-based decision.

Best parts of an EV:
No gas, especially nice in Oregon where you can't pump your own.
Regen braking and one pedal driving
Warp-speed passsing
Quiet, smooth and no smell
Not polluting the air
Low maintenance

I certainly don't want to go back to an ICE car, but may have to if a new house cramps my style financially. And where we are at now, we only need one car but have two. There's nothing under 100k that tempts me to go back on a purely car-based decision.

Best parts of an EV:
No gas, especially nice in Oregon where you can't pump your own.
Regen braking and one pedal driving
Warp-speed passsing
Quiet, smooth and no smell
Not polluting the air
Low maintenance

I really hope you don't give up the wrong car. It takes a little courage, but we dumped our second car several months ago and kept the Tesla. No more trips to filling stations. Figure we've saved about $7500 not buying gas. Tesla is probably more reliable. We just got our insurance premium, less than what we used to pay on the Prius. There is absolutely no comparison. And with superchargers popping up like prairie dogs, no need for a gas car at all.

Of course, your mileage may vary, and it's your decision.

Not sure if I already replied to this thread.

Need to buy a (used) ICE car this week as we have 5 drivers and 4 cars this summer.
Picking up one kid from college tomorrow in my Model S. Also one of the ICE cars won't
pass inspection in August and we may have to replace that. Right around the time my
wife's Model S shows up! But we need her trade in to fund the Model S...

they only stories I hear are from people who own many cars, bought the MS, then realized they simply can't go back to driving their other ICE cars so they sell them afterwards aka Mercedes, Acura NSX, Porsche, Jag's, BMWs, even Ferrari's and Lamborghini's.

I'm a car guy... own many ICE muscle cars and don't plan on getting rid of them (unless they are replaced with another) ... some I drive now and then... some not much at all. One of my sons turned me onto the Tesla and once my wife and I drove one I ordered one the next day. I can't wait to take delivery... still have 2 weeks to go. It will become a daily driver... they others will be used now and then.

i technically did go back to "ICE" while my Tesla is my only Vehicle, i did get a gas pressure washer,

unfortunately i cannot find a 240v electric pressure washer to supply enough pressure.

it feels really weird to drive up to the Costco gas station to refill the Jerry can.

i technically did go back to "ICE" while my Tesla is my only Vehicle, i did get a gas pressure washer,

unfortunately i cannot find a 240v electric pressure washer to supply enough pressure.

it feels really weird to drive up to the Costco gas station to refill the Jerry can.

I feel the same way when I fill up the Jerry can for my riding lawn mower...just doesn't feel right going to a gas station in a Tesla.

I will be moving from NJ to Manhattan. Figuring out the charging situation for my Tesla in a public garage seems daunting - a far cry from just rolling into my garage and plugging it in. I will probably buy another car (a used beater) and let the attendants have at it.

I will be moving from NJ to Manhattan. Figuring out the charging situation for my Tesla in a public garage seems daunting - a far cry from just rolling into my garage and plugging it in. I will probably buy another car (a used beater) and let the attendants have at it.

I know one garage let an owner install a NEMA 14-50 on his dollar and it's metered and he pays what he uses monthly. For me, I'm a daily commuter and I worked out a deal with the manager at a valet-only garage that had a free chargepoint but the deal was that I personally park it and plug it in and drive it out. Nobody touches it but me and they were cool with that.

When I lived in Manhattan I kept my ice car out of the city and then eventually sold it; I didn't buy another car until I left Manhattan. Maybe you could keep your MS across the river in a garage with a 120 wall socket. When you do need to go pick something up in your own car in the city you could use CC RENTALS: NYC Car s | Mini Vans . The amount you will save in city parking will more than compensate for the costs.