Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Harris Ranch is not working 11/18/14

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it must be rough having to take a different route so you can supercharge your way to your destination. There are many highways in other states to be covered before giving Californians alternate routes.

Before you snap at CA, just look at Europe. Also, CA has a marketshare >5x that of Texas, I can garuntee. Tesla needs SpC all over NA, but CA should absolutely be a priority - for good reason.

Before you snap at CA, just look at Europe. Also, CA has a marketshare >5x that of Texas, I can garuntee. Tesla needs SpC all over NA, but CA should absolutely be a priority - for good reason.

It's also true that once an infrastructure is in place, sales will follow. Oregon offers very little in the way of EV incentives, yet leads in sales of EVs. Why? Because the state has been aggressive in the implementation of the infrastructure, making it easier for the population to consider the purchase of an EV. Without incentives.

Oregon Proves Key To Electric Car Adoption Isnt Necessarily Purchase Incentives - Transport Evolved: Cleaner, Greener, Safer and Smarter

Incentives alone cannot increase the market size for EVs. Without an infrastructure to support them, EVs are only useful within a radius of 50% of their range. In such infrastructure barren areas battery electric EVs, even long range EVs, will only appeal to diehard few.

Tesla Motors understands this. That is why they are building a charging network across the US and in countries around the world to support their vehicles.

To face facts, Manteca or Lathrop is a bigger-payoff, quicker "bang for the buck" than the 10+ SCs needed to connect, say, AZ to TX along I-10. And I think Tesla will do it - won't take long to deploy a set of portables at the Lathrop site around New Year's.
Forgive me the following if it comes off preachy. But I'm sitting here in TX, literally cheering on the amazing I-90 connection efforts. Sympathizing with those on 5 going over those mountain passes. Excitedly celebrating Vermont's first SC! Because we're building a NETwork. Not holding pep rallies for competing regional play-offs.

Last edited:
To face facts, Manteca or Lathrop is a bigger-payoff, quicker "bang for the buck" than the 10+ SCs needed to connect, say, AZ to TX along I-10. And I think Tesla will do it - won't take long to deploy a set of portables at the Lathrop site around New Year's.
Forgive me the following if it comes off preachy. But I'm sitting here in TX, literally cheering on the amazing I-90 connection efforts. Sympathizing with those on 5 going over those mountain passes. Because we're building a NETwork. Not holding pep rallies for competing regional play-offs.

Bingo.
All the boats in the harbor rise when the tide comes in, not just a select few.
The quicker that ALL major routes are connected, the better.

I am just as excited about the developing Supercharger locations @ Marathon, FL as the new ones nearing completion of the I-90 route and future plans for one in Denton, TX.

The 1,500 or so MS owners in Texas will eventually be connected to the NETwork, and then THAT market will get a boost.
Chicken and egg all over again.

Tesla owes Texas nothing.. the way that state has treated Tesla.
Owes? No one said anything about owes, since you bring it up I would say that Tesla's income from a sale in Texas is just as valuable as it's income from a sale in California.

It's in Tesla's self interest to build out more of a network here. Texas is one of the largest U.S. markets for Tesla, despite the state law which makes it more challenging, and laws restricting how Tesla operates in each state are irrelevant to where superchargers are located. The number of stalls at each site may be a function of how many Teslas travel those routes, but the number of locations is not. It's just a function of geography. The existence of a network is what's important for sales, as has been stated many times, not how much it's used. If the network isn't there, people aren't going to buy as they do in California. Sales would be much greater here if it was convenient to drive a good distance in any direction as you do in California.

Do you know which Tesla store in the U.S. has the most visitors? Hint-- it's not in California. It's the Tesla gallery at Northpark Center in Dallas, with over 20,000 visitors/month. That place is insane. It's more crowded than the Apple store nearby. There is intense interest in Tesla in Texas, but for example when people in Dallas/Fort Worth can't travel north, east, or west with superchargers fewer of those interested people convert to sales than in some other states. The DFW Metroplex has a population of 6 million people, the 4th largest metropolitan area in the U.S., and it's a relatively affluent area with a culture of buying expensive cars (Dallas anyway, not so much Ft. Worth). Is there any metro area in California near that size and economic activity which has such limited access to supercharged travel?

It's also true that once an infrastructure is in place, sales will follow. Oregon offers very little in the way of EV incentives, yet leads in sales of EVs. Why? Because the state has been aggressive in the implementation of the infrastructure, making it easier for the population to consider the purchase of an EV. Without incentives.

Oregon Proves Key To Electric Car Adoption Isnt Necessarily Purchase Incentives - Transport Evolved: Cleaner, Greener, Safer and Smarter

Ok, great. I'll come back to this when we see the outcome in Germany. According to this logic, sales should skyrocket since they are literally swimming in SpC, with more to come. Time will tell.

The 1,500 or so MS owners in Texas will eventually be connected to the NETwork, and then THAT market will get a boost.
Chicken and egg all over again.
TXDOT says we are well over 2000 MS registered in the state at this point!

- - - Updated - - -

Forgive me the following if it comes off preachy. But I'm sitting here in TX, literally cheering on the amazing I-90 connection efforts. Sympathizing with those on 5 going over those mountain passes. Excitedly celebrating Vermont's first SC! Because we're building a NETwork. Not holding pep rallies for competing regional play-offs.
Personally, I think I-10 west of San Antonio and I-90 between Spokane and Rapid City are good examples of poor prioritization by emphasizing cross-continent routes over regional routes. Although being able to drive to El Paso and beyond is interesting and something I'd do every few years, like many North Texans, I have cause to drive to Oklahoma City, Little Rock, Abilene & Lubbock monthly. The fact that Oklahoma City (pop 600K) to Little Rock will be possible before DFW (pop 6.4MM) to Little Rock really speaks to the weaknesses in the deployment strategy.

But it's not just DFW. There are other routes, like Denver to Albuquerque; Houston to New Orleans; Kansas City to St. Louis; Philadelphia to Pittsburgh and probably others that I can't think of right now that won't come as quickly as I'd like.

Anyway, it's fun to kvetch about it, but it'll all be resolved by 2017 or thereabouts.

Ok, great. I'll come back to this when we see the outcome in Germany. According to this logic, sales should skyrocket since they are literally swimming in SpC, with more to come. Time will tell.

Or, perhaps all the MS from countries around Germany now have a way to criss-cross Germany on their way to someplace else.
It doesn't have to necessarily be Germans using the Superchargers, although that would be nice.
Germany having Superchargers allows MS owners the freedom to go where they want to go.

Look ahead at the European 2016 Supercharger Map projections: Lisbon to tip of Italy's boot to Turkey to Moscow to far into the Norwegian Arctic Circle to Edinburgh.
Heck, even Ireland will have four.
Dontcha know that the Superchargers in Germany are a critical part of providing connection to the Network.

And, I suspect eventually some Germans will start buying their own MSs (specifically S85Ds and P85Ds) when they realize what the car is capable of doing, and how far the Supercharger NETwork reaches in all directions.

Yes, time will tell.

There was supposed be an SC going into Manteca, which would have helped the I-5 corridor between Sacto and Harris Ranch as well as folks heading to Yosemite. After filing for a permit, Tesla pulled the request. Maybe they will put something to the Lathrop factory location.

There definitely needs to be another location north of Harris Ranch along the 5. Currently it's a little dicey for those of us heading up state from down here in So Cal. We basically have to cut over and go through the Bay so we can fill up.

So it is written, so it is being done in Manteca...

Do you know which Tesla store in the U.S. has the most visitors? Hint-- it's not in California. It's the Tesla gallery at Northpark Center in Dallas, with over 20,000 visitors/month. That place is insane. It's more crowded than the Apple store nearby. There is intense interest in Tesla in Texas, but for example when people in Dallas/Fort Worth can't travel north, east, or west with superchargers fewer of those interested people convert to sales than in some other states. The DFW Metroplex has a population of 6 million people, the 4th largest metropolitan area in the U.S.,...

I spoke with some local (very knowledgeable) folks about the Tesla Gallery in NorthPark Center.

The Gallery is averaging over 6,000 visitors a week, over 24,000 a month.
And it is just about to hit the Christmas shopping Season.
Egad.

I think Tesla is going to need a bigger Gallery....

Not sure how this thread turned into a pissing contest between states, but it's definitely off-topic. This isn't, and shouldn't be, a fight between any states. And boasting about a Texas store/gallery getting the most traffic is pointless and misleading -- especially if you completely ignore the number of stores in the state, the size of the state, or the population.

And you'd be completely blind if you really think Tesla would have more success in this day-and-age in Texas than in California (or even Silicon Valley alone), even if there were no Superchargers at all (the only way to make a fair comparison). In the SF Bay Area, there are 7 stores/galleries within a 50-mile radius, and you can drive 50 miles in a single direction and hit 5 of those stores. It's obvious the foot traffic will be spread out among them.

Status
Not open for further replies.