Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Happy Birthday to me... it's a P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I could pile on here .... Your side by side videos of instrument cluster P85D vs P90D-L ... The one of the left is grey, on he right is pure black. Is that merely a video white balance thing, or have they improved the instrument cluster such that black is black, rather than grey (which usually means OLED or local dimming)?

Maybe talk to Kleenspeed about use of Moffett field runway?
Contact Information | Kleenspeed

I'll give them a call, thanks

Pete, how does it feel to be the most popular guy on TMC! Congrats and thanks for being so willing to add to the knowledge base.

I'm thrilled I've been able to provide so much information. When I first posted the pictures of the max power option I thought someone probably knew about it and it'd be boring. I'm sure people are probably trying to make decisions so the faster the information gets to everyone the better.

If I could pile on here .... Your side by side videos of instrument cluster P85D vs P90D-L ... The one of the left is grey, on he right is pure black. Is that merely a video white balance thing, or have they improved the instrument cluster such that black is black, rather than grey (which usually means OLED or local dimming)?

There are some parts that are pretty dark, but I don't think anything changed.

Note on the suspension. I drove down 17 tonight, which is pretty twisty. I drove a little faster than I've driven a 25xxx P85+ down 17 and I felt more comfortable in the P90D. It might not have the sport suspension, but it handles really well. I think I felt more planted than in the + and I can see how Elon would say you could pull one 1g laterally. One thing I have noticed on the P85D/P90D that is slightly more noticeable is the way the car reacts to bumps when cornering fast. As long as you are on a transition free curve it is planted... really really planted. However, if you hit a bump it seems to get a little floaty and you'll feel some body roll. I've never had air suspension on a non-Tesla so I can't compare and I don't know how everything works, but with springs you do have the coil keeping the axle closer to the car when the body raises up. That's my only guess because I did notice it on the plus too. Personally the air suspension is nice, I like lowering the car, and it handles really well at speed. Combined with the 265s in the rear I'm really happy with the suspension.

I took your data and compared it to the data from KMan's Supercharging video. Tesla Motors Model S: 85kW Supercharge from Dead/CHARGE NOW www.Teslarati.com - YouTube

I set the 16% SOC time for Pete's charging session to the same 16% SOC time from KMan's video.

What the data shows is that time to SOC for both cars was within 1/2 minute of each other up to about 60% state of charge.
After that, the90D's charging time is a bit slower, about 3 minutes slower to 80% state of charge and 5.5 minutes slower to 90% state of charge.

Supercharging Time 90D vs 85D r1.png

Last edited:
I took your data and compared it to the data from KMan's Supercharging video. Tesla Motors Model S: 85kW Supercharge from Dead/CHARGE NOW [url]www.Teslarati.com - YouTube[/url]

I set the 16% SOC time for Pete's charging session to the same 16% SOC time from KMan's video.

What the data shows is that time to SOC for both cars was within 1/2 minute of each other up to about 60% state of charge.
After that, the 90D's charging time is a bit slower, about 3 minutes slower to 80% state of charge and 5.5 minutes slower to 90% state of charge.

View attachment 91724

Nothing surprising then.

A 90kWh car will gain a couple of minutes at each supercharger versus an 85kWh if I understand it correctly.

Nothing surprising then.

It was surprising to me. It looks like it will take longer for a 90D to charge to 80% than a 85D.
It also looks like it will also take longer for a 90D to add an equivalent number of rated miles when you want to add more than 200 miles during a charge.
It does look a couple minutes faster if you are adding more like 100 rated miles per charge.

I had expected that the 90D would be consistently faster than the 85D for supercharging.
Of course, these are just two data points and YMMV.

I took your data and compared it to the data from KMan's Supercharging video. Tesla Motors Model S: 85kW Supercharge from Dead/CHARGE NOW www.Teslarati.com - YouTube

After that, the90D's charging time is a bit slower, about 3 minutes slower to 80% state of charge and 5.5 minutes slower to 90% state of charge.

Replace those SOC % with kWh. As it is, it is apples and oranges.

Seriously. The graph needs to use either kW and kWh to show objective charging rates not relative SOC % changes.

The maximum charge rate in curve.zip is 116 kW

The maximum charge rate in the kman/islanbayy video is 120 kW

You'd expect the P90D to be able to charge at 120 kW so the supercharger wasn't putting out full rate for one or more of several reasons.

1. Car wasn't low enough on charge to accept full rate
2. Car was paired / sharing a supercharger with another car
3. Supercharger wasn't getting full input from power company or had a bad charger in the stack (only 11 of 12 putting out full power)
4. Temps weren't right for full charge speed

It'd be nice to get charge data from a lower SOC at a 135 kW supercharger to see if it ever exceeds 120 kW charging rate.

Last edited:
Does turning range mode on change the acceleration at all?

When I recorded the 0-70 I had suspension on low, regen on low, max battery power ready, 99% SOC, flat road, exterior temp @ 65F, A/C off, and nothing heavy (other than me) in the car. Is there anything else that might have made a difference when Tesla tested it?

Does turning range mode on change the acceleration at all?

When I recorded the 0-70 I had suspension on low, regen on low, max battery power ready, 99% SOC, flat road, exterior temp @ 65F, A/C off, and nothing heavy (other than me) in the car. Is there anything else that might have made a difference when Tesla tested it?

If the max power mode was used to heat up the battery it could be slowing down the supercharging rate.

I still see no meaningful difference in acceleration and power consumption (<480 kW) between insane and ludicrous mode at 0-65 mph.

I have to agree. Looks like a tiny-tick faster.... but not meaningfully different. And requires "Battery warming.." What am I missing? Dropping from 3.1 - 2.8 secs is 10%. I would think we could see that better. Perhaps from 60-90 acceleration?

Last edited by a moderator: