Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Happy Birthday to me... it's a P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that is one lovely car! Congratulations on both the birthday and the car! My 33rd birthday is coming up on Nov 2nd, and I have preliminary delivery of my Tesla in October, so in a way I'll beat you to it (but I'm poor, so I'll have to make do with an 85D for now ;)).

only 4676lbs?!!

Are you sure???

Today is my 33rd birthday, and Tesla was kind enough to deliver my beautiful car to me at 11am this morning. Weighing in at 4647 lb and 4 oz, she is healthy, but has yet to be named.

P90D, midnight silver, pano, 21" grey turbines, black next-gen seats, CF décor and spoiler, black alcantara headliner, red calipers, autopilot, SAS, UHFS, and premium interior

View attachment 91570

Horrible lighting. Didn't realize it until I looked at it on my laptop.

View attachment 91571

I've seen some questions about what the range will be. This was a range charge that I let sit to balance batteries. 273 miles
View attachment 91572

I've spent some time driving a P85D and when I first launched in this I was a bit disappointed. It didn't feel any more significant than insane mode. I did notice some additional pull, but nothing mind blowing. I haven't had a chance to really play around with it yet, but I did find this
View attachment 91574
View attachment 91573
View attachment 91575

When the battery is ready it will say "Ready", which when I first found it was ready immediately. The "Preparing..." was when I was charging again tonight so the battery needs to warm up a bit first. My initial test with this enabled I did feel it more, but it wasn't the best test with luggage and people in the car. I'll test it and try to get a video of at least the dash during day time.

- - - Updated - - -

Is this math correct?

Driving from Mountain View to San Francisco, around the city, back down, to the airport, and back to Mountain View... 100% down to 28%

138.7mi
53.2 kWh
383 Wh/mi

Remote S says I added 52.48 kWh to get back to 90%

I agree. The new setting is very interesting. I started a new topic. Pete I hope you don't mind me reusing those photos about that new setting.

Max Battery Power setting in P90DL

No worries

only 4676lbs?!!

Are you sure???

- - - Updated - - -

Is this math correct?

Weight was something I saw noted somewhere. I didn't look at the exact weight of mine... it was more for the sake of the joke than being exact.

As for the math, it was the "Since Last Charge" data. I took the picture of the 100% charge just before I left on that drive, and charged when I got back.

Did you also get the sport suspension?

Suspension didn't change.

Weight was something I saw noted somewhere. I didn't look at the exact weight of mine... it was more for the sake of the joke than being exact.
4676 lb would be awsome but is probably wrong. Goold old S85 weighed in ~4,647 lb and P85D is 4936 lb.

And we are really interested in exact weight of P90D. If would say much about new battery chemistry.
If your number was correct and they did shave off 250 pounds I'd say it explains a lot about why there is only 5kWh more capacity. There is probably less cells in the pack, reducing the weight and added cost and improving performance by another 5%.

Last edited:
Happy Birthday and congratulations!

If you don't mind me asking, what firmware version are you running? Trying to figure out if the Max Battery Power will be available for P85Ds or L-retrofitted P85Ds.

(Click the Tesla T, and it should say 6.2 (x.xx.xx).

Also, I recommend signing up to this site to keep your firmware in the knowledgebase Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App

6.2 (2.5.36)

4647 lb would be awsome but its wrong. That is the weight of S85. P85D is 4936 lb.

And we are really interested in exact weight of P90D. If would say much about new battery chemistry.

GVWR = 2670kg/5887lb
GAWR FRT = 1250kg/2756lb
GAWR RR = 1420kg/3131lb

That's all I've got right now

- - - Updated - - -

An extra note on the weight. The manual doesn't have the curb weight for the P90D yet, but the GVWR for the P85D is 5710, curb weight of 4963. The GVWR has increased by 177lb, but I don't know what you can say based on that.

P85D:
GVWR =2640kg/5820lb

The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), or gross vehicle mass (GVM) is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer[SUP][1][/SUP] including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo but excluding that of any trailers.[SUP][2][/SUP] The term is used for motor vehicles and trains.

P90D has a bit higher maximum allowed weight, it could still be lighter, or heavier.

Remote S at 100% charge. So it's almost 274, but here's the ideal and estimated numbers as well.

remotes.jpg

Hey Pete. Happy birthday! Great present indeed.

Could you give us info on voltage while supercharging? Because my gut feeling tells me (or I want to hope so) this new 90kwh battery with new chemistry has the 70kwh pack config. (As in 74cells in parallel, series of 6 for a module and 14 modules)

85kwh packs have 16 modules so if 90kwh voltage is somewhere between 310-370V (assuming new cells have increased mAh capacity, same voltage levels) it means it is 14 modules. So with the 16 module config there could be a 110kWh pack waiting to make a debut with the Model X. If it is still ~402V when top SoC supercharging, it means just a tiny tiny increase in battery capacity.

I'm new to battery technicalities and calculations so I hope I wasn't wrong with my assumptions. Also would be great to know the usable kWh of the pack. p85ds use about 75kwh of the 85kwh pack. I'd assume new one is ~80kwh, which would explain the 19-20mile extra range.

Thanks in advance!

I've spent some time driving a P85D and when I first launched in this I was a bit disappointed. It didn't feel any more significant than insane mode. I did notice some additional pull, but nothing mind blowing.

Pete,

The difference between P90DL and P85D is after 30mph. They are identical until 30mph. There is no additional G force with the P90DL. However the duration of the G force is longer. Listen from 19:34 to 21:17. Tesla Motors Ludicrous Mode Press Conference (Audio) 2015-07-17 - YouTube

20:31, Elon: "The car is able to continue accelerating at the same rate as it is from 0-30 all the way past 60 mph."
21:00, Elon: "It is an extension of insane mode past 30 mph."

In this race the Ferrari catches up with P85D after 30mph. Now that wont be so easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pete,

The difference between P90DL and P85D is after 30mph. They are identical until 30mph. There is no addition G force with the P90DL. However the duration of the G force is longer. Listen from 19:34 to 20:41. Tesla Motors Ludicrous Mode Press Conference (Audio) 2015-07-17 - YouTube

20:31, Elon: "The car is able to continue accelerating at the same rate as it is from 0-30 all the way past 60 mph."

I'm aware of that. My comment was based on that I didn't notice a difference between the 0-60 in insane vs 0-60 in ludicrous. However after turning on the max power option I do notice a difference. I did try to capture a few launches tonight, but had issues with the GoPro, finding a good place to do it, and ended up just using my iPhone, which was acceptable, but not great.

Anyway, here's 0-65 with the max power turned on and loss of range from trying to use my GoPro too many times. It's sorta near 3.2s at under 90% SOC.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, when the Max Battery Power mode is "Preparing..." you hear a whine almost like when you floor it, but slightly different. I'm not sure exactly what's going on there, but stopped at a light, no cars around, with music and A/C off, it is very clear something is kicking in.

Last edited by a moderator: