Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Happy Birthday to me... it's a P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The question is whether the suspension is unchanged from what? From firmer or softer dampers?

I asked him specifically if they updated the suspension to return to the firmer dampers and he said no. My DS also told me that when I emailed her about the staggered wheels.

If there is something specific you want me to look for or take a picture of let me know.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for yet another reply, but I thought I'd offer.

If you live in the Bay Area and want to meet up today (Sunday 8/23) after noon let me know. I've got nothing to do today other than drive around... it's an op to record reactions.

Hi Pete!
Wow, congrats on the P90D and THANK YOU SO MUCH for being the first poster to do a reveal.
I am especially intrigued by the concept of preparing the battery for MAX.
Can you kind of walk us thru that step by step.
I heard you say you can actually hear it doing the prep work?
How long does it typically take and what does the display say when it finally is at MAX?

Again thanks for sharing with us. Much appreciated.

ARTinCT

If you raise the suspension to very high you can identify the parts number on the dampers. If it ends with A or C.
If it ends with C you have the softer dampers that all PD have since end of april.

Last edited:
Hi Pete!
Wow, congrats on the P90D and THANK YOU SO MUCH for being the first poster to do a reveal.
I am especially intrigued by the concept of preparing the battery for MAX.
Can you kind of walk us thru that step by step.
I heard you say you can actually hear it doing the prep work?
How long does it typically take and what does the display say when it finally is at MAX?

Again thanks for sharing with us. Much appreciated.

ARTinCT

So I'll explain the discovery process and what I've kind of learned from it. I didn't really notice the text when I first checked that L was turned on. On my way to SF I was in heavy traffic and noticed the text, pressed the button and it said "Ready" right away and I later turned it off and on and it remained at "Ready" right away. Here a photo of that I forgot to post.

IMG_0017.jpg

I did notice a little more kick after doing so. I then returned from SF, went to the SC, and sat for a long time while it charged to 90%. When I was done, I hit the button and it went into "Preparing...". So charging and the heat generated from that will not prepare the car. When I was going out to record, I sat at the SC for maybe 50 minutes to top it off, turned it on at the light when it was quiet and there was a whine while it was "Preparing...". I gave it a few throttle kicks here and there, drove maybe 1-2mi doing that and it changed to "Ready".

Later today I can let it just sit and see how long it takes.

- - - Updated - - -

If you raise the suspension to very high you can identify the parts number on the dampers. If it ends with A or C.
If it ends with A you have the softer dampers that all PD have since end of april.

suspension.jpg

Pete90D:
I would like to ask you yet again for a favor?
Perhaps your new P90D has the new rear chrome facia.
Can you take a nice picture of it?
Apparently, the newest cars, since mid August have the new chrome facia which has the TESLA letters a bit more pronounced and it also lacks the integrated lens in the far left and right facia where it covers a bit of the tail lamps.
This new design is reported to reduce any water fogging in the rear tail lamps as the water cannot get caught behind the lens.

Also thanks for being so prompt with your replies to our queries.

BTW what color interior, trim and headliner did you decide upon? Mine will be the same exterior color as yours when I order it.

Art

Pete, congratulations on the car and happy birthday :)

Quick question for you. I have a P90D ordered and one of the first things I had planned to do was switch out the tires to Pilot Sports since hearing cars were now shipping with the Continental. Lo and behold yours actually came with them - that's great news. I would be curious to know if you had to specially order them with the car, if it was a matter of luck, or if Tesla has decided to go back to shipping cars with them from the factory by default.

Pete90D:
I would like to ask you yet again for a favor?
Perhaps your new P90D has the new rear chrome facia.
Can you take a nice picture of it?
Apparently, the newest cars, since mid August have the new chrome facia which has the TESLA letters a bit more pronounced and it also lacks the integrated lens in the far left and right facia where it covers a bit of the tail lamps.
This new design is reported to reduce any water fogging in the rear tail lamps as the water cannot get caught behind the lens.

Also thanks for being so prompt with your replies to our queries.

BTW what color interior, trim and headliner did you decide upon? Mine will be the same exterior color as yours when I order it.

Art

Here ya go. Interior is black and CF. Good choice on exterior color, it hides dirt and dust well.

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Useful to use the setting gear and change the speed to 0.25.
Image: http://i.imgur.com/G4twDka.png
View attachment 91607
Image: http://i.imgur.com/m5o1wp7.png
View attachment 91606

I will go out in a bit and do another speedo recording in a place I know I can get a better session, but unless someone from the forum wants to meet up I'm not going to be able to do more than just the dash by myself. GoPro with headband wasn't working.

- - - Updated - - -

Pete, congratulations on the car and happy birthday :)

Quick question for you. I have a P90D ordered and one of the first things I had planned to do was switch out the tires to Pilot Sports since hearing cars were now shipping with the Continental. Lo and behold yours actually came with them - that's great news. I would be curious to know if you had to specially order them with the car, if it was a matter of luck, or if Tesla has decided to go back to shipping cars with them from the factory by default.

I didn't have to ask for anything special for my wheels. I had a P85D on order and changed the option to P90DL a couple hours before cut off for confirmation (Friday of Elon's announcement). My DS knew I was originally disappointed with the lack of staggered and when I asked her if I would be getting she wasn't 100% clear on that yet. So it just showed up with staggered PS2s.

Pete,

it is expected that we do not see a difference 0-30. I think all of us which are disapointed with the p85d power is at higher speeds. So it would be awesome if you can make some 60-100 videos.

Another issue I am very interested is if power drop based on SOC improved. My car is between 320 and 480kw already at 170 miles range. Meaning the p85d has better performance than the P85 for a VERY short time.

Pete,

it is expected that we do not see a difference 0-30. I think all of us which are disapointed with the p85d power is at higher speeds. So it would be awesome if you can make some 60-100 videos.

Another issue I am very interested is if power drop based on SOC improved. My car is between 320 and 480kw already at 170 miles range. Meaning the p85d has better performance than the P85 for a VERY short time.

Years ago I probably would have posted videos of 60-100, but now I'd rather not post anything that far over the limit. My personal opinion is that the performance above 60 has improved.