Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got phone call and e-mail from Tesla .... same old stuff ... soft of ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right, but you knew going in it would be a long wait with an uncertain ETA. People who ordered in late September - mid October thought they would get their car in 2-4 weeks like the website said, and like everyone else has been the last 6-12 months.
In contrast, I posted this in another forum in 2018 about my co-worker, the "beta tester". :)

-- begin quote one from 2018 --
The "beta tester" (ordered Tuesday, apparently) got a call Wednesday telling him he could pick up the car Sunday. But, he'd already had plans to be out of town so he plans to pick it up next Wednesday from Fremont, CA.

He ordered RWD, one of the silver colors and the standard aero (ugly) 18" wheels. I confirmed he'd ordered Tesla's $50 kit, which he says is backordered.
-- end quote one from 2018 --

-- begin quote two from 2018 --
To put dates on his, it should be:
Tues Sept 4: ordered
Wed Sept 5 afternoon: got call that he can pick up as soon as Sunday
Wed Sept 12: he picks it up from Fremont, CA since he already had plans to be out of town
-- end quote two from 2018 --

We're in the SF Bay Area and the Fremont plant is about a 30 minute drive from our work.

I pointed to another Bay Area guy who got his 3 quickly back then: Just ordered, now what?.

Actually, from the original date of my 10/11 order - to a time within the last 3 or 4 days, I have always been quoted 2-3 weeks on my order page. Delivery times on the actual website have given either “2 weeks” or “2-3 weeks” pretty close to the end of October. I am by far not the only person ordering that has been given prompt delivery estimates that were totally untrue.

We are not “early adopters”. We did not place orders expecting 2-3 month deliveries, but instead 2-3 weeks. The fact is that we have been jerked around and given every delay tactic that Tesla could come up with. IMO, these latest “owner workshops” are just another phase in these delay tactics.

Sorry, but we have the right to share information and gripe.
Ordered 10/14 and was quoted 2-3 weeks for my P3D. 3 days later, it disappeared and then turned into 8-10 weeks. Sucks :(.

Actually, from the original date of my 10/11 order - to a time within the last 3 or 4 days, I have always been quoted 2-3 weeks on my order page. Delivery times on the actual website have given either “2 weeks” or “2-3 weeks” pretty close to the end of October. I am by far not the only person ordering that has been given prompt delivery estimates that were totally untrue.

We are not “early adopters”. We did not place orders expecting 2-3 month deliveries, but instead 2-3 weeks. The fact is that we have been jerked around and given every delay tactic that Tesla could come up with. IMO, these latest “owner workshops” are just another phase in these delay tactics.

Sorry, but we have the right to share information and gripe.

When you first started posting about the fact that the account said "2-3 weeks" but you kept posting about how unfair that was etc, I remember mentioning that I didnt think tesla would be the appropriate car company for you based on how they operate... and that you would be having a very long, frustrating wait if you moved forward.

The above still looks accurate to me. My personal opinion is, your tesla ownership experience is going to be fairly similar to your experience ordering the car, if you ever have to take it in for service etc. You likely would be happier with the porsche you mentioned.

Custom orders for Porsche (and many others) can take 8-12 weeks. So, longer than Tesla.

Sure, but they tend to have better tracking, etc. Dont get me wrong, I like my Model 3 and I actually have been treated pretty well by tesla. With that being said, how they operate isnt for everyone, and for @jonquiljo specifically, the "ferver" displayed about the way tesla does business says to me that its not a good match.

What I fully expect to happen (unfortunately) at this point, is his car is not going to come in until either near the end of november or first week of december, and when it comes in there will likely be small imperfections with it. Whether he takes the car and then is not happy with the turn around time on dealing with said imperfections, or rejects the car, I have no idea. I just dont think its going to get much better for him, and I am basing that on the posting pattern / "information shared" we have had on his current journey in trying to purchase the car.

Sure, but they tend to have better tracking, etc. Dont get me wrong, I like my Model 3 and I actually have been treated pretty well by tesla. With that being said, how they operate isnt for everyone, and for @jonquiljo specifically, the "ferver" displayed about the way tesla does business says to me that its not a good match.

What I fully expect to happen (unfortunately) at this point, is his car is not going to come in until either near the end of november or first week of december, and when it comes in there will likely be small imperfections with it. Whether he takes the car and then is not happy with the turn around time on dealing with said imperfections, or rejects the car, I have no idea. I just dont think its going to get much better for him, and I am basing that on the posting pattern / "information shared" we have had on his current journey in trying to purchase the car.

Perhaps you need to realize that this is only a car - and not a life or lifestyle match. People don’t marry car companies. It simply is a machine of which you will have many in your life.

When you buy a Tesla, you don’t get “citizenship” in Tesla - you just get the machine. Sorry, but you sound as if this whole process means more than it actually does. The machine does nothing to define you or your lifestyle. Quite frankly, with most people, the car they buy serves more to decorate their garage than to make a statement about the owner or the values he/she lives by.

As an aside, this is one reason that I personally do not feel that a car is worth getting into debt to obtain. Unless you work with a car to earn a living, getting into debt to own a car is to take on more obligation than the machine is worth.

Whenever I get my car - I don’t think that a few imperfections are anything to be very concerned about. A few trips to the grocery store parking lot will make anything Tesla does look pale in comparison.

Lots (not all) people are missing my main point in this thread. The point is quite basic actually, especially since many people have sold their cars and/or are waiting for financing before time forces them to apply again. Tesla is not giving its buyers a realistic time frame to time their actions. People’s trades are depreciating and loan dates are expiring. People don’t want to be dragged along a trail full of misinformation. They want to be told when their machines can arrive so that they can plan these other things accordingly.

Everything else is superfluous or irrelevant. People get tired of Tesla jerking them around and having to make compensations in their life to deal with something that could have been easily been made clear upfront.

That’s all. There isn’t much more to it.

Perhaps you need to realize that this is only a car - and not a life or lifestyle match. People don’t marry car companies. It simply is a machine of which you will have many in your life.

When you buy a Tesla, you don’t get “citizenship” in Tesla - you just get the machine. Sorry, but you sound as if this whole process means more than it actually does. The machine does nothing to define you or your lifestyle. Quite frankly, with most people, the car they buy serves more to decorate their garage than to make a statement about the owner or the values he/she lives by.

As an aside, this is one reason that I personally do not feel that a car is worth getting into debt to obtain. Unless you work with a car to earn a living, getting into debt to own a car is to take on more obligation than the machine is worth.

Whenever I get my car - I don’t think that a few imperfections are anything to be very concerned about. A few trips to the grocery store parking lot will make anything Tesla does look pale in comparison.

Lots (not all) people are missing my main point in this thread. The point is quite basic actually, especially since many people have sold their cars and/or are waiting for financing before time forces them to apply again. Tesla is not giving its buyers a realistic time frame to time their actions. People’s trades are depreciating and loan dates are expiring. People don’t want to be dragged along a trail full of misinformation. They want to be told when their machines can arrive so that they can plan these other things accordingly.

Everything else is superfluous or irrelevant. People get tired of Tesla jerking them around and having to make compensations in their life to deal with something that could have been easily been made clear upfront.

That’s all. There isn’t much more to it.

I find this response somewhat funny... you are telling me "its just a car". I agree, its just a car... and not something to get worked up over. Thanks for agreeing with me.

I find this response somewhat funny... you are telling me "its just a car". I agree, its just a car... and not something to get worked up over. Thanks for agreeing with me.

No problem. I think we can all live together amidst the nonsense. Tesla is just a car. You are doing a VERY small part to save the world by buying an EV. That doesn’t ensure the world will be saved or is worth saving. You are definitely are not marrying Tesla. So yes, it’s really nothing to get worked up over.

But ... I really find it inexcusable for Tesla to treat its customers so badly. Many buyers really do have depreciating trades and a constant dance with financing. They don’t want seminars, but rather need for Tesla to tell them when things are happening. That affects people’s lives quite a bit. They want to plan vacations, live their lives - not sit around looking at Teslas.

Someone else posted a version of an e-mail where Tesla mentioned 10 minute delivery appointments. Now that is bloody dangerous, and no way to buy a car.

But, in the end, it is just “a bucket of bolts.” A car is a necessary evil in our society, much as the sandwich you had for lunch. If Tesla could give one bit of customer service, perhaps many of its customers would not be so inconvenienced by a car delivery. Thats been my point all along. My only point.

But ... I really find it inexcusable for Tesla to treat its customers so badly. Many buyers really do have depreciating trades and a constant dance with financing. They don’t want seminars, but rather need for Tesla to tell them when things are happening. That affects people’s lives quite a bit. They want to plan vacations, live their lives - not sit around looking at Teslas.
I think all most people want is transparency and open communication. If Tesla just came out and said "For the first 6 weeks of this quarter we will be sending all Model 3s to Europe and Asia for <x reasons>. Then we will be sending to the east coast starting <x week>, and finally to the west coast starting <x week>.", most people would understand and be satisfied. It's the sitting in the dark and/or being lied to people don't like.

I think all most people want is transparency and open communication. If Tesla just came out and said "For the first 6 weeks of this quarter we will be sending all Model 3s to Europe and Asia for <x reasons>. Then we will be sending to the east coast starting <x week>, and finally to the west coast starting <x week>.", most people would understand and be satisfied. It's the sitting in the dark and/or being lied to people don't like.
Precisely! They don't even have to do much. They don't even have to tell us corporate strategy. They can simply say, "It will be approximately x weeks for delivery - as we have had unanticipated delays."

And they could have gotten rid of the "2-3 week" crap from the start. They could have done a simple website change. They could have made sure that no one got the wrong estimate for ordering.

The fact is that Tesla didn't care enough about its customers to bother, or intentionally set expectations far higher than they should have. They did one or the other of these things - as there is nothing else possible that could have happened.

As it stands now, does anyone really trust what Tesla has to say?

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Precisely! They don't even have to do much. They don't even have to tell us corporate strategy. They can simply say, "It will be approximately x weeks for delivery - as we have had unanticipated delays."

And they could have gotten rid of the "2-3 week" crap from the start. They could have done a simple website change. They could have made sure that no one got the wrong estimate for ordering.

The fact is that Tesla didn't care enough about its customers to bother, or intentionally set expectations far higher than they should have. They did one or the other of these things - as there is nothing else possible that could have happened.

All I know is the wait would be a lot more unbearable if not for jonquiljo's constant boomer rants. The underlines alone get me everytime. I look forward to every comment, and I'm never dissapointed!

Reactions: tren01t
Tesla seems to do things and make decisions off the cuff to only suit themselves and their bottom line. Now of course you could say "well, all companies do that" but I can never recall in almost 3 decades of car buying that a new/used vehicle that was allotted to me mysteriously ended up going to another buyer simply to save them from having to ship the car elsewhere...even though you're paying to have it shipped. Tesla appears to be all about getting the quick sale, even if it affects the buyer either financially or by lifestyle i.e. you've already traded in your vehicle only to find out the one they promised "is no longer available". If you are demanding that I use an "app" to buy your car, and you send me a confirmation with an expected date, along with an invoice/bill of sale, I fully expect that vehicle to be mine not "well, it depends". Otherwise just go back to traditional sales people so at least I can put a face and name to the person constantly bending me over.

"Only the tip...I promise!"

Just called tesla because I ordered back on october 11th with zero contact since.

SA said they are not making NA cars until december as we all suspected. "you should have yours in the nevada area probably by the second week of december since you were one of the first orders of the quarter"

My trade in expired but my account didn't say this at all... The rep is calling me back later to see if the value is still the same and would be honored or not. Also said that I might need to do the financing again but it isnt expired yet.

Seems like the tesla website barely reflects any current info. My account is blank under estimated delivery, it used to say 2-3 weeks, and the trade in doesnt show anything about it being expired.

Hi. I just got the following voicemail from Tesla. My voicemail goes through a transcription service and they usually get most of it right. My formatting is for emphasis. Please bear with me as the following says a lot.
:
"Hi J. My name's XXXX. I'm reaching out to you on behalf of the delivery team here at Tesla. We just wanted to reach out to you to invite you to a new owner's workshop that we will be hosting here at the location in San Francisco on Venice and O'Farrell to help provide customers with more information about the features of the vehicles and giving you a bit of an idea of how they work and get you ready for delivery in December. We do anticipate to have an extremely high volume during that month and we'd love to get customers in early to get them prepared for delivery. We will be hosting our first one this upcoming Thursday from 5:30 to 7:00 and it will last for about an hour, hour and a half, and there'll be a Q and A as well as an opportunity to buy accessories for the vehicle. I will also be following up with an email that has all of the details of this as well. If this interests you, we'd love to have you and get you signed up for one of these workshops. You can give this number a call back if you have any further questions xxx-xxx-xxxx. Have a good weekend.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I then got the following e-mail
:

Congratulations on joining the Tesla Family!
We’re pleased to invite you to our new Pre-Delivery Owner’s Workshop.

Explore what sets Tesla apart in technology and safety. Learn about the benefits of driving electric, including the most convenient ways to stay charged at home and with our Supercharging network across the world. Discover just how easy travel can be with Autopilot features that come standard on all vehicles and how they can enable your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane, with your supervision.

We will have Tesla Advisors onsite to help ensure your Tesla account is prepared, cover the basics of ownership and answer questions about life with the Tesla Ecosystem.
-Thursday November 14th, Thursday November 21st, Tuesday November 26th, Thursday December 5th
-5:30pm – 7:00pm
- Tesla San Francisco : 999 Van Ness Ave San Francisco, CA 94109
Space is limited so please RSVP by replying all to this email.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first message drives home the point that December is 100% for real - for me and certainly all N. California buyers. This message also drives home the point that it will be a "high volume" experience, probably with barely enough time but to sign papers. Tesla clearly wants us to pick up our cars and go - if at all possible. We already know enough to have shelled out $$ to buy these things. Convince us of what? We've driven them!

Buying accessories? What - do they sell time shares in Maui as well?

Finally, one of the dates in the e-mail is December 5th - that suggests nothing earlier than the 2nd week in December. Now Tesla knows I ordered a LR AWD on Oct 11th - so they are targeting these e-mails. Tesla doesn't want us to walk away from the extended wait. But they only imply that extended wait. Wording is everything.

The fact that I got both a phone call and e-mail shows Tesla really wants us to hear something. They are trying to soften the waiting blow. Good or bad - it still means waiting a very long time.

Sorry people, I really want to buy a Tesla and will still wait. But I interpret all of this as one big long "string-along." Not only are they mass producing cars - but they are mass delivering them as well. Tesla will not just be honest and say, "I know you expected a lot sooner, but you're going to wait a lot longer and be rushed out the door when you finally take delivery."

I can just picture it: Elon Musk in a Santa suit throwing key cars at people in a huge parking lot! Grrr.
Hi. I just got the following voicemail from Tesla. My voicemail goes through a transcription service and they usually get most of it right. My formatting is for emphasis. Please bear with me as the following says a lot.
:
"Hi J. My name's XXXX. I'm reaching out to you on behalf of the delivery team here at Tesla. We just wanted to reach out to you to invite you to a new owner's workshop that we will be hosting here at the location in San Francisco on Venice and O'Farrell to help provide customers with more information about the features of the vehicles and giving you a bit of an idea of how they work and get you ready for delivery in December. We do anticipate to have an extremely high volume during that month and we'd love to get customers in early to get them prepared for delivery. We will be hosting our first one this upcoming Thursday from 5:30 to 7:00 and it will last for about an hour, hour and a half, and there'll be a Q and A as well as an opportunity to buy accessories for the vehicle. I will also be following up with an email that has all of the details of this as well. If this interests you, we'd love to have you and get you signed up for one of these workshops. You can give this number a call back if you have any further questions xxx-xxx-xxxx. Have a good weekend.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I then got the following e-mail
:

Congratulations on joining the Tesla Family!
We’re pleased to invite you to our new Pre-Delivery Owner’s Workshop.

Explore what sets Tesla apart in technology and safety. Learn about the benefits of driving electric, including the most convenient ways to stay charged at home and with our Supercharging network across the world. Discover just how easy travel can be with Autopilot features that come standard on all vehicles and how they can enable your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane, with your supervision.

We will have Tesla Advisors onsite to help ensure your Tesla account is prepared, cover the basics of ownership and answer questions about life with the Tesla Ecosystem.
-Thursday November 14th, Thursday November 21st, Tuesday November 26th, Thursday December 5th
-5:30pm – 7:00pm
- Tesla San Francisco : 999 Van Ness Ave San Francisco, CA 94109
Space is limited so please RSVP by replying all to this email.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first message drives home the point that December is 100% for real - for me and certainly all N. California buyers. This message also drives home the point that it will be a "high volume" experience, probably with barely enough time but to sign papers. Tesla clearly wants us to pick up our cars and go - if at all possible. We already know enough to have shelled out $$ to buy these things. Convince us of what? We've driven them!

Buying accessories? What - do they sell time shares in Maui as well?

Finally, one of the dates in the e-mail is December 5th - that suggests nothing earlier than the 2nd week in December. Now Tesla knows I ordered a LR AWD on Oct 11th - so they are targeting these e-mails. Tesla doesn't want us to walk away from the extended wait. But they only imply that extended wait. Wording is everything.

The fact that I got both a phone call and e-mail shows Tesla really wants us to hear something. They are trying to soften the waiting blow. Good or bad - it still means waiting a very long time.

Sorry people, I really want to buy a Tesla and will still wait. But I interpret all of this as one big long "string-along." Not only are they mass producing cars - but they are mass delivering them as well. Tesla will not just be honest and say, "I know you expected a lot sooner, but you're going to wait a lot longer and be rushed out the door when you finally take delivery."

I can just picture it: Elon Musk in a Santa suit throwing key cars at people in a huge parking lot! Grrr.

I went to the same so called orientation seminar about a week or so ago. It was a waste of time if you spent enough time on this forums or watching YouTube about the model 3. They are just keeping themselves busy while waiting for the delivery just like us. No one really knows when.

Reactions: tren01t
Just called tesla because I ordered back on october 11th with zero contact since.

SA said they are not making NA cars until december as we all suspected. "you should have yours in the nevada area probably by the second week of december since you were one of the first orders of the quarter"

My trade in expired but my account didn't say this at all... The rep is calling me back later to see if the value is still the same and would be honored or not. Also said that I might need to do the financing again but it isnt expired yet.

Seems like the tesla website barely reflects any current info. My account is blank under estimated delivery, it used to say 2-3 weeks, and the trade in doesnt show anything about it being expired.

Sorry to hear that. As a customer, you deserve better.