Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM just adopted NACS 🤯🤯🤯

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other thing this deal does is put a massive damper on non-Tesla EV sales. Nobody in the know will want a CCS car as it will now be perceived as obsolete/the standard that lost. Oh sure you might get an adapter next year but what's the point, who knows when and how that will work out. Better to either get a Tesla now or wait until 2025 when F and GM have the "real" plug. Even better to wait until 2026 because F and GM will probably screw it up the first year. VW, MB, Hyundai, stellantis fuggedaboutit, they haven't even started the clock running yet.

Reactions: chinney
The other thing this deal does is put a massive damper on non-Tesla EV sales. Nobody in the know will want a CCS car as it will now be perceived as obsolete/the standard that lost. Oh sure you might get an adapter next year but what's the point, who knows when and how that will work out. Better to either get a Tesla now or wait until 2025 when F and GM have the "real" plug. Even better to wait until 2026 because F and GM will probably screw it up the first year. VW, MB, Hyundai, stellantis fuggedaboutit, they haven't even started the clock running yet.
CCS is not going to die anytime soon and will probably still be mandated on all the federal $ sites. I wouldn't be surprised if port retrofits are also offered for pre-2025 vehicles later down the road, just so we can put this whole mess of competing standards behind us.

CCS is not going to die anytime soon and will probably still be mandated on all the federal $ sites. I wouldn't be surprised if port retrofits are also offered for pre-2025 vehicles later down the road, just so we can put this whole mess of competing standards behind us.
The Joe and Pete show will be the last to get with the program. Ok fine, taxpayers still fund a few $B of worthless EA sites that wind up in dumpsters. It's fine for the government to **** away money, they're good at that, but people plunking down their own money are going to be more discriminating.
If you think any vehicles are getting retrofitted I have a 2012 LEAF to sell you... still waiting for the 2x battery upgrade on that one.

Reactions: kayak1
The Joe and Pete show will be the last to get with the program. Ok fine, taxpayers still fund a few $B of worthless EA sites that wind up in dumpsters. It's fine for the government to **** away money, they're good at that, but people plunking down their own money are going to be more discriminating.
If you think any vehicles are getting retrofitted I have a 2012 LEAF to sell you... still waiting for the 2x battery upgrade on that one.
Not exactly. ABB just announced they will be adding NACS as an option to their chargers. I'm sure plenty of other charger manufacturers are scrambling to do so.

Given NEVI funding is just getting started with applications, by the time any get approved and installed, it's highly likely the chargers installed would be able to be at least retrofitted with a NACS cable in the future, if not outright have one.

Now I got it. You are talking about CCS2 regions. I have no idea if CCS2 regions will ever adopt NASC.

Take a look at the plugs. You'll see 2 large connectors on the NACS plug and 3 on the CCS2.
US uses single phase electricity, Europe uses three phase., requiring three large pins.

The European cars are different as well, with how the chargers are configured in the car.

Freewire and FLO were also mentioned in the Ford thread as offering NACS as an option. Since NACS uses CCS signaling, it's presumably as simple as a cable swap to change - no fleet of dumpsters or political b|tching required.

This has been said many times by others, but the reliable Tesla charging network is a huge reason to buy a Tesla car, and a good reason to overlook Tesla cars' well-noted flaws. But if you can get Tesla charging with a Ford, GM, or probably other makes soon, the incentive to buy another Tesla plummets. I therefore question the logic of Tesla shareholders seeing this as a positive development - getting more income through charging is surely good, but if sales drop as a result the long-term value of Tesla shares will surely suffer. I don't see meaningful growth for Tesla if it's primarily an EV charging company.

Reactions: jpk195
The agreement does not indicate that Tesla would physically build fast DC chargers for them with the labels Ford/GM. Evgo is doing the physical construction for GM. The only change will be NACS Evgo instead of CCS, and those NACS stations will have the label GM on them.

What agreement does is to provide access to all North America V3 Superchargers. Ford and GM don't need to build their own NACS stations if they don't want to.

Remember NACS is free if you build on your own so you can access your own. But access to Tesla Supercharger is not free. Thus, you now hear about the agreements.

All Tesla produced since 2012 have NACS so you don't need to upgrade to use Tesla Supercharger in any version, old or new.
Corrected. It's V3+.

This has been said many times by others, but the reliable Tesla charging network is a huge reason to buy a Tesla car, and a good reason to overlook Tesla cars' well-noted flaws. But if you can get Tesla charging with a Ford, GM, or probably other makes soon, the incentive to buy another Tesla plummets. I therefore question the logic of Tesla shareholders seeing this as a positive development - getting more income through charging is surely good, but if sales drop as a result the long-term value of Tesla shares will surely suffer. I don't see meaningful growth for Tesla if it's primarily an EV charging company.
Because I (as a shareholder and owner) WANT Tesla to be forced to make better cars! That is better for Tesla and all of us long-term.

Seems you are looking at a today view vs a long term tomorrow view. Both are hemorrhaging losses (Ford at -102% per EV) and both predicting 2025 adoption. By then the model 2 at 25k will be out along with Cybertruck while they gimp along shooting for 60k sales. Yeah it won’t be much of a competition. All while they subsidize Tesla (along with the government) to double the network volume. Win win. Tesla will be the BP Amoco US monopoly.

Reactions: kayak1 and Rocky_H
Part of the reasons for the success of the supercharger network is it's constantly being used and it also helps that Tesla controls both the station and the car. They get instant feedback if a stall is not charging correctly and the constant and unpredictable traffic deters vandals and copper thieves.

This is a good thing in the long run for EV adoption which is Tesla's goal. This will also incentivise Tesla to get better. Tesla is seeing FSD, software, and price being their moat.

Just for my understanding, does that mean Ford/GM can't charge at from V1 to V3 72kw 150kw older Tesla Superchargers?

They can with V3+ and above such as V4?
I believe that by "V3+," @ItsNotAboutTheMoney meant "V3 and later." The deal appears to be to give Ford and GM EVs access to most or all current V3 Superchargers, and presumably most or all new Superchargers (which at this point are all V3, with a switch to V4 anticipated for new installations well before Ford and GM begin delivering NACS-enabled vehicles). It appears that V2 (150 kW) and Urban (72 kW) Superchargers are excluded from the deal, although I haven't seen that explicitly stated in any official document from Tesla, Ford, or GM.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and Tam
922689.jpg

Tesla could crank out "Ford-branded" pre-fab superchargers much cheaper than Ford can build them.

Ford dealers must provide at least 1 public DCFC station to qualify as an EV seller:

Freewire and FLO were also mentioned in the Ford thread as offering NACS as an option. Since NACS uses CCS signaling, it's presumably as simple as a cable swap to change - no fleet of dumpsters or political b|tching required.
From all the reports those things need more than new cables. They'd do everyone a favor to put them in dumpsters now and replace them with SCs.