Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get J1772 adapter to pop charge port door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These might become popular again with the Model 3.

Test first!

I sold my fob (for exactly what paid for it, although I ate box and shipping cost) to a new Model 3 owner. Buyer says it doesn't work on their Model 3. Tried on a Model S and it worked. Since Model 3 uses HPWC and Superchargers, I can't image they changed the signaling, but maybe the fob timing is slightly off?

So I'd love to hear if anyone is using their fob successfully on a Model 3.

I told buyer if they want to resell it, this is the thread to use.

///d@

I have a model 3 and a J1772 charger at home - I don't mind pushing the port door to open it, but unlocking the connector from the car is a hassle - do the solutions in this thread also unlock the connector?

I can try the chargeport.txt on a Raspberry Pi at some point.

I have a model 3 and a J1772 charger at home - I don't mind pushing the port door to open it, but unlocking the connector from the car is a hassle - do the solutions in this thread also unlock the connector?

I can try the chargeport.txt on a Raspberry Pi at some point.
Doesn’t this sequence work?

- unlock car (for example, open one of the doors)
- remove j1772 handle
- connector unlocks
- remove connector

but unlocking the connector from the car is a hassle - do the solutions in this thread also unlock the connector?
Are you referring to trying to plug in or unplug? When you first open the charge port, I think it should keep the charge port unlocked for several seconds, so you should have enough time with the port unlocked to plug in. If you're not quick enough, then I guess it might auto-lock or close the flap and be a little irritating to open up again.
If you're talking about unplugging, that is no issue at all. Clicking the button on the J1772 handle does send the unlock signal to the car and releases the latch in the port. So click AND HOLD that button, and then grab the adapter with your other hand and pull them out together. No app or car screen needed.

OHHHHHH. <Facepalm> I'll try that today.
BUT, it only releases the latch if the car is unlocked, hence the sequence of steps I gave. I believe the reason for this behavior is, so that your precious adapter can’t be stolen by a casual passer-by.

Based on observation, I don’t think pressing the button on the J1772 handle sends a signal as such, I think it just removes power (I guess that’s a signal, of sorts). Either way, that’s the observed behavior — unlock car, press button, remove handle, remove adapter. (Or pull them out together, but I find it easier to remove the handle, then remove the adapter.)

Reactions: Donz_S
BUT, it only releases the latch if the car is unlocked, hence the sequence of steps I gave. I believe the reason for this behavior is, so that your precious adapter can’t be stolen by a casual passer-by.

Based on observation, I don’t think pressing the button on the J1772 handle sends a signal as such, I think it just removes power (I guess that’s a signal, of sorts). Either way, that’s the observed behavior — unlock car, press button, remove handle, remove adapter. (Or pull them out together, but I find it easier to remove the handle, then remove the adapter.)
Pressing the J1772 release button actually pulls down the proximity line, which signals to the car that it should stop drawing current immediately (within milliseconds) so that there will be no arcing when the plug is removed. Tesla powered vehicles respond both by stopping the draw and releasing a pull down on the pilot line to the EVSE to turn off the power, but LEAFs, for example, stop drawing power, but leave the power on (it then goes off when the plug is removed, disconnecting the pilot line).

When using a TESLA EVSE, the handshake is roughly the same, but the plug's button also sends an RF signal to open the port before plugging in.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and jgs
Pressing the J1772 release button actually pulls down the proximity line, which signals to the car that it should stop drawing current immediately (within milliseconds) so that there will be no arcing when the plug is removed. Tesla chargers respond both by stopping the draw and release a pull down on the pilot line to the EVSE to turn off the power, but LEAFs, for example, stop drawing power, but leave the power on (it then goes off when the plug is removed and the pilot line is disconnected).
Thanks for the added info. I was mostly responding to "sends an unlock signal", which it doesn't -- that's a side-effect of what you describe, but only (as noted) if the car is unlocked prior to pressing the J1772 release.

Thanks for the added info. I was mostly responding to "sends an unlock signal", which it doesn't -- that's a side-effect of what you describe, but only (as noted) if the car is unlocked prior to pressing the J1772 release.
Jeez. I didn't mean a door unlock signal. I meant a signal that does that overall process that @davewill was describing --> cut off power and release the charging port.

Jeez. I didn't mean a door unlock signal. I meant a signal that does that overall process that @davewill was describing --> cut off power and release the charging port.
No no, I understand that. What I'm saying is that the charging port does NOT get released unless your door is unlocked first. Try it sometime -- make sure your car is locked, then press the J1772 release.