Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get J1772 adapter to pop charge port door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both Fobs mailed....
I did not know the state of the battery so a spare was included with each Fob.
Do not forget that the post office requires that I put an insulating piece of paper between the battery and the contact on the PCB so that the Fob will not transmit if a button gets pushed. You need to pop the Fob open, remove the paper and reassemble before it will work. A few out of the 200 or so people I sent Fobs to sent them back because they "did not work". I found the paper still in place along with confirming that the Fob worked when the paper was removed.

Also, when reassembling note the alignment "tick" on the plastic housing to Fob button ring (shown in earlier posts here I think) if the button pad comes out of the Fob outer housing. You will want to make sure this is aligned before assembling else the plastic halves will not want to snap into place.

Good luck.

Bill

Should these fobs work on the Model X as well? I ran across a Model X in the wild today and happened to have the fob with me so I tried it and nothing happened. (Maybe the battery is dead now, but it worked on the Model S a couple days ago.)

But what about when the doors are locked on the Model X?
Here is the answer with additional data to help answer additional questions. The self closing charge port operates differently than my Model S non-closing port.

When Model X is locked, the port will NOT open by pressing the left side of the reflector.

While Model X is locked OR unlocked, the port will NOT open by pressing the button on a Tesla charge handle. The port will open when the key fob hatch button is held down (or the left side of the reflector is pressed while unlocked). It will NOT open when my Model S key fob hatch button is held down.

To remove the Tesla charge handle when the Model X is unlocked, a press of the charge handle button is needed OR you can hold the key fob hatch button to release the handle. A single press and release of the button to the left of the charge port releases the handle when unlocked and not charging. Even if the charge session is over, the Tesla charge handle cannot be removed while the Model S or X is locked. A press of the Tesla charge handle button will restart a charge session, even if the vehicle is locked.

After charging with a J1772 adapter, the port cannot be unlocked to remove the adapter unless the Model X is unlocked. Since the Tesla charge handle button won't unlock the adapter, Model X drivers do not need to be concerned if they are charging at a J1772 next to a Supercharger.

Unfortunately, my 2012 Model S does allow the removal of the J1772 adapter while the vehicle is locked if a Tesla charge handle button is pressed while the vehicle is locked and the J1772 handle is removed. Keep that in mind if J1772 charging next to a Supercharger.

Last edited:
I'm trying to make an Arduino-based charge port opener just for fun. I was wondering if anyone has ever attempted this with an Arduino? I have the string of bytes that get transmitted being transmitted by a 315-MHz transmitter controlled by an Arduino Uno, but I was wondering if that was that was required. I am pretty new to electronic signaling and I'm trying to learn as I go.

When I can make time, I will go over to Tesla and see if they are okay with me trying it out.

I took my Arduino project over to the Tesla showroom and tried it. It didn't work, which is about what I was expecting for my first foray into electronic signaling.

I think I might just shelve this project until I have a Tesla of my own to experiment on.

One question, I know the FOB, the SuperCharger and Wall Connector all trigger the Charging Port, does this expose some security risk that could allow hackers to access the onboard CPU? I mean, the car/battery talk to the connected charging cables to handshake and ramp up and down charging but the fact that the other day my FOB was a ways from the car but I was still able to trigger the port to open using the connector, and I have seen Floor models at the Supercharger randomly pop their charging ports even when not located near the superchargers themselves. Is this something we or Tesla Motors should be concerned about?

I have an extra if any wants one. I bought 2 way back when with the intention of mounting them to the J1772 handle of two OpenEVSE's I planned to build. Instead I only built one and bought a HPWC after the big price drop.

These might become popular again with the Model 3. I remembered this discussion from way back. I was trying to figure out how I'm going to get the port door open since I'm keeping my OpenEVSE J1772 and the Model 3 is coming without a fob. The door opener transmitter seems like a great solution.

I would gladly pay for one if there are still any floating around.

Reactions: Rocky_H and MP3Mike
These might become popular again with the Model 3. I remembered this discussion from way back. I was trying to figure out how I'm going to get the port door open since I'm keeping my OpenEVSE J1772 and the Model 3 is coming without a fob. The door opener transmitter seems like a great solution.

I would gladly pay for one if there are still any floating around.
How do you know the Model 3 uses the same code? Or even the same algorithm which is really simple on a Model S?

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike