Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD NOW 8k for all models

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In some jurisdictions, while it might be accepted that from time to time a driver could be justified in driving above the posted limit, it would be different to set an AP system to systematically exceed the limit by 25%.

If speed limits really do carry little or no legal significance in some locations, then geofencing might be the answer to give drivers control to be 'safe' given locally accepted norms.

Or while we are admitting that the driver is responsible for all the actions while using FSD features, Let the driver set the speed limit. Just let the resonsible party (the driver) set the speed limit.

Not asking for anything crazy. Being able to set an offset of up to 10mph would satisfy all my needs.

No need for a philosophical discussion about speed limits that vary widely from region to region. In Michigan, people drive 80 mph daily. In Texas some limits are as high as 85. In Virginia 80 mph is "reckless driving." In some regions the speed of traffic is 10mph over and that's what everyone does with no one being hassled. Other areas might have different norms and tolerances. Bottom line is, within reason, let the driver who paid a bunch of money for FSD set the speed limit for which they accept responsibility.

Or how about this, at least give us dumb cruise control where we can set the speed limit. This is important to me because I usually set my speed limit to about 7mph over the limit so I don't have to monitor my speed, knowing that all the cameras are calibrated to 11mph or higher above the limit by law.

Being limited to only 5mph over the limit is a bit too nanny nanny to my liking making the FSD package I paid for cumbersome to use. Make it 10 and I'm fine.

Last edited:
Sorry but $8k for FSD in its current form is too much. I get that it will improve over time. But I know a ton of people who were choosing not to pay even $7k. At some point it just becomes too cost prohibitive and people just want to drive their car.

Sorry but $8k for FSD in its current form is too much. I get that it will improve over time. But I know a ton of people who were choosing not to pay even $7k. At some point it just becomes too cost prohibitive and people just want to drive their car.

I think there is strong case to be made for Tesla to bring back some version of EAP for $3K, which would include everything in the old EAP except Smart Summon, but including Simple Summon.

That is one of the reasons they increase the price.
Not because a significant update is coming, but because people might actually think there is.

They're just working FOMO.

Who would pay for it now if they didn't put a price on waiting?
The funny thing about all of these discussions is that we just don’t know. Maybe marketing is exploiting FOMO, maybe a significant update is coming. We have no idea how many people have purchased FSD, or why. Plenty of anecdotal information in the echo chamber, but we just don’t know.
I actually relate to dutchie’s position, despite his comments being dismissed. We’ve seen some amazing things come to pass in the last couple of years. I don’t mind being optimistic about FSD. My car can drive from an on-ramp in San Francisco, merge through two freeways, and exit in Redwood City completely on its own. I am fascinated by all of this and am glad to be a part of it.

Yup, in cases where it is being my nanny by limiting me to the speed limit or just 5 mph over, just give me dumb cruise control like any other car so I have something that is actually useful.

Did I miss a change in the car's behavior? It's been a while since i've used NoAP given COVID, but I used to be able to set it for up to 15 mph over the limit (on highways). Did that go down to 5 as well? Or are we just talking about local roads here?

For FSD, the driver technically is not in control of the car so I can see them restricting speeding since they are on the hook for accidents. If the driver is "driving", then the car is not on FSD - that would be AP like we have today.

Yup, in cases where it is being my nanny by limiting me to the speed limit or just 5 mph over, just give me dumb cruise control like any other car so I have something that is actually useful.

Maybe I'm confused. But we can already do this, as long as you do the steering yourself. I don't understand what the problem is. Nobody else's cruise control steers for you. So we do already have what other cars have, just more. But then, I only have AP1.

Reactions: PhilDavid
Tesla screwed themselves with terminology. If they never assigned the term “FSD” no one would have this mental issue, or severe backlash in many cases, with the idea of this purchase. Imagine if they just had the “basic package” as standard and what they’re asking $8k was just called the “premium package” this whole time. All of a sudden this notion of “the car can’t do FULL SELF DRIVING so it’s not worth the money” doesn’t exist because the concept of FSD was never brought up in the first place.
I think you missed the real reason why it's called FSD. If it wasn't called Full Self Driving and Elon didn't push it as Level 4/5 autonomy (like his tweets that you'll be able to summon your car from New York to L.A.), nobody would pay for it. Remember, FSD, as it was sold until March 2019, is pure vaporware (none of its features have been delivered even today, the only way Tesla managed to deliver any FSD features was by redefining FSD to consist of features previously in EAP (Texas sharpshooter style). Had they named FSD clearly and descriptively, that would have significantly reduced the number of people who paid for it. Who would would have paid for "premium package" if it had the true description:
Permanent Beta release Level 2 autonomy driver assist which will assist the driver in driving while the driver watches over it like a hawk, responsible for any accidents. It will not do anything for at least 4 years, then you'll get on a list for free hardware upgrade but you'll have to pay $2,500 to upgrade to MCU2 if you want all the latest functionality.

FSD feature should really be called the FOMO feature, but that would also be too descriptive and cost Tesla money.

Did I miss a change in the car's behavior? It's been a while since i've used NoAP given COVID, but I used to be able to set it for up to 15 mph over the limit (on highways). Did that go down to 5 as well? Or are we just talking about local roads here?

For FSD, the driver technically is not in control of the car so I can see them restricting speeding since they are on the hook for accidents. If the driver is "driving", then the car is not on FSD - that would be AP like we have today.

The FSD literature specifically disclaims responsibility and further states that the driver is fully responsible while the car is under FSD. Hence my wish to be able to set the speed limit up to 10 mph over the limit. Especially considering the inaccuracy of some of the GPS speed limits.

With regards to the TACC limit, I stand corrected. It does let me set the desired TACC speed so that was my mistake. When I wanted to enable lane keep assist, it would not budge even a mile over the limit on a 4 lane divided road. and the speed limit it though applied was wrong.

You can currently set TACC to any speed you want (up to 90 mph I believe) on any road. What are you asking for that you don’t currently have?

My mistake. TACC works as you state as it always has. What I meant was lane keep assist being limited to the speed limit it thought applied and not 1 mile over that limit.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
You can currently set TACC to any speed you want (up to 90 mph I believe) on any road. What are you asking for that you don’t currently have?

Yes.

But in my experience (on single carriageway roads with no central divider) of which there are many in the UK, the car intervenes too often (take control now) with no obvious reason even without any AP feature engaged. I would honestly sometimes find it quite a relief to have just plain old cruise control with zero additional automation if it meant that I could be absolutely confident in what the car will and won't do.

I do like TACC in slow moving lines of traffic though. Never an issue with that.