Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 12.3.3 in Hawaii

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aloha! I wanted to get thoughts on FSD 12.3.3 from a Hawaii perspective. Personally I am amazed at just how well it did on Oahu on the North Shore for me today. I just drove 15 miles, but it greatly exceeded my expectations for what it would be capable of. I did disengage twice, both due to aggressive driving characteristics. First one was turning left from the north end of Haleiwa onto the bypass where there is a merge lane... and it was going to pass the truck in front of me despite it being the only other car on the road. The second was northbound on Kam Highway before Waimea Bay where it was going too fast, following too close, and came close to rear ending a car turning into the park.

But, I was really surprised at just how well it dealt with pedestrians and bicycles on the narrow shoulder and a few other obtuse intersections. I'll try it tomorrow in Chill Mode and see if it does any better for me.

Reactions: Akikiki and nanimac
I'm on 12.3 and it was initially great, but it still has the same problem I've had since last year where FSD driving visualization is "degraded" at the same spot along my morning drive, thereby making even basic autopilot unavailable for the rest of the drive until the car goes to sleep. FSD managed to make it through the trouble spot every day last week, but it returned again today.

I'm on 12.3 and it was initially great, but it still has the same problem I've had since last year where FSD driving visualization is "degraded" at the same spot along my morning drive, thereby making even basic autopilot unavailable for the rest of the drive until the car goes to sleep. FSD managed to make it through the trouble spot every day last week, but it returned again today.
Where does it happen? Any ideas on what is causing or contributing to it?

Where does it happen? Any ideas on what is causing or contributing to it?
On Kalanianaole Hwy, just after Kuliouou as you approach Niu Valley going ewa. The SC had my car for a few days to troubleshoot the issue and they concluded it's "software issue that will be fixed in a future update".

It's amazingly consistent - I can almost predict within 10-20 feet exactly where FSD will crap out and the visualization will disappear. The only weird quirk is it sometimes doesn't happen on weekends when there's less cars on the road, which leads me to believe that something about that location and the "visual" of seeing all the cars together with the bend in the road and perhaps the elevation of the mauka lanes that FSD just cannot handle properly. Going the opposite direction in the same spot and FSD works perfectly. It even handles the offset bend in the traffic lanes through an intersection (which it used to swerve back in the early days of FSD/EAP).

My friend had a 3 with FSD (prior to v12) that exhibited similar behavior.

The only way to get FSD and the driving visualization and sentry mode to return to normal is to allow the vehicle to go to deep sleep. Resetting the vehicle (both hard and soft) via the scroll wheels does nothing.

Reactions: Patrick66
I drive almost daily from Kailua to Wahiawa with v12.3.1. Well over 90% of my issues were fixed with move from v11 to v12. I do notice that v12.3.1 still has an issue with getting over to the left lane fast enough when northbound in Wahiawa in order to make a left turn in 3 blocks. I solve for the moment by putting on my left blinker and then it will put in the work to get into the left lane soon enough. Sometimes it is too aggressive and sometimes chooses a non-optimal route, but these are relatively minor issues. Overall, very impressive!

I have 12.3.3. Agree it's a big leap from v11. Solved most of the trouble spots i've had since 2020. Guess all those disengagements finally helped! lol. But it did digress getting into correct lane to get onto freeway in Mililani. And is still at residential speeds merging onto H2 until it passes the 1st 55mph sign. Also still wants to merge over to the left then back to the right on Moanalua Fwy heading towards pearl city. But overall, it's still the best version yet!

It's not directly related to FSD driving, but my center console USB ports functionality "degraded" since I received the 12.3 update.

Prior to the update, I had my wireless charging pad (2 USB-A cords), along with my Raspberry Pi (for Teslausb), game controller dongle and a portable air purifier all plugged into the center console via a Jeda hub. After installing the update, the RPi immediately stopped working properly and based on trial and error, it seems the power output from the two center console USB ports in my 2020 Model Y is reduced such that it can no longer power all the accessories.

I ended up doing my first drive on H1 with FSD today. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. It felt barely functional on the narrow lanes in town, it kept changing lanes* at inappropriate times. Big step back from Autopilot.

*I will disable the lane change thing tomorrow, but the default behavior was amazingly bad.

I ended up doing my first drive on H1 with FSD today. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. It felt barely functional on the narrow lanes in town, it kept changing lanes* at inappropriate times. Big step back from Autopilot.

*I will disable the lane change thing tomorrow, but the default behavior was amazingly bad.
Most of my issues with v12 are on the highway, and not city streets. Used to be the opposite. The frequent lane changing was more present for me in v11. Lane changes could be because of route planning. For me, car always wants to get into fast lane when on Moanalua Hwy ewa bound even though it should just stay on one of the 3 right lanes to merge onto H1. I always disengage it when driving there.

The frequent lane changing was more present for me in v11. Lane changes could be because of route planning. For me, car always wants to get into fast lane when on Moanalua Hwy ewa bound even though it should just stay on one of the 3 right lanes to merge onto H1. I always disengage it when driving there.
Today it tried to pass a motorcycle and a truck on the merge to Kam Highway from Haleiwa. It was similar behavior to the highway.

I really wish it had a way to modulate speed down and to increase following distance with overrides rather than just disengaging.

Reactions: nanimac
Just got an update last night from 12.3.3 to 12.3.4. Prior to this it was slowly getting better at driving through Paiko without FSD and driving visualization degrading and my dashcam staying connected. I hope this update doesn't make it reset or lose that progress.

Other than the lone issue with my morning commute, FSD v12 is noticeably better on my drive home compared to v11. It is significantly more aggressive in lane changes compared to v11 was, but it will also stay in the inside lane whereas v11 insisted on moving to the middle lane constantly.

Just got an update last night from 12.3.3 to 12.3.4. Prior to this it was slowly getting better at driving through Paiko without FSD and driving visualization degrading and my dashcam staying connected. I hope this update doesn't make it reset or lose that progress.

Other than the lone issue with my morning commute, FSD v12 is noticeably better on my drive home compared to v11. It is significantly more aggressive in lane changes compared to v11 was, but it will also stay in the inside lane whereas v11 insisted on moving to the middle lane constantly.
I’ve heard reports of some degradation with this version and it going back some bad habits. So far, everything seems the same for me as last version.

I'd like to hear how 4-way stops are handled by FSD in Hawaii. Visited last year (no Tesla) and on multiple 4-way stops, everyone stopped and tried to wave the next car through. Apparently it's a thing.
Yeah... we call it driving with aloha. It would be nice if there was an aloha mode especially to create gaps for people making left turns. Just like it would be nice to have a Los Angeles mode where...

Reactions: KArnold and gmtom1
The rain yesterday was an interesting test for me with FSD. Did about 30 miles in heavy rain on north shore to Wahiawa and it performed better than I expected. Interestingly, there were less bells for degraded performance than with liquid sunshine. No 12.3.4 yet.

Reactions: gmtom1
T
I'd like to hear how 4-way stops are handled by FSD in Hawaii. Visited last year (no Tesla) and on multiple 4-way stops, everyone stopped and tried to wave the next car through. Apparently it's a thing.
Haven't had a 4-way on v12 yet, but on previous v11, FSD would perform "ok" if there were no other cars at the stop. If it saw a car at the stop, it was way too conservative in how it responded on a straight path.

Reactions: KArnold