Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Supercharger-Only Coast to Coast Road Trip in a Tesla Model S 60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently supercharging in Maumee Ohio. Planning to skip Angola IN supercharger.

Will stop to to sleep some day ;-)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    632.1 KB · Views: 450
Sam you start to tweet on TMC and to post on Twitter :biggrin:. Time to get a nap?

Besides that, I follow this thread with genuine interest. Got one of the first three 60kWh in Germany.

Yea totally delirious. Had an hour of power (nap) and am ready to face the world.

Thanks for commenting. I didn't realize you were that early of an adopted. Wow! I'd love to hear about your supercharging adventures.

I haven't had great access to computers other than my phone and using speech recognition which others above have shared humerous stories . . .

I'm at the Holiday Inn @ Worthington MN. Route 90 was shut down about 1/4 mile ahead of us with a overturned bigrig blocking every lane. The roads were covered with ice and there were 40mph wind gusts blowing snow everywhere. We were 100 yards before the exit for RT 26 (10 Miles east of Jackson MN) so we exited and got some local knowledge.

We took RT 26 for 12 miles (driving 20 mph) on totally iced roads until we could connect back with 90. Very hairy.

Then another 20 miles east the roads cleared and the snow stopped blowing, and we rolled into Worthington with our lowest rated range of the entire westward journey . . . 5 miles.

Considering several zero and one mile readings on the Eastward trip, this may seem anticlimactic, but the road conditions were seriously scary.

I didn't post every stop this time and we skipped a 3 Superchargers on this route, but it's been pretty tame. Drove overnight and still haven't slept in a bed. Probably stop tonight if we can make it through South Dakota.

I've been told that RT 70 to Eisenhower Pass in Colorado is closed today. I'm hoping it will be open tomorrow.

I'm definitely stopping at the temporary SC in Denver and my travelling companion is doing a weather check as we speak.

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments and suggestions. I may not be able to post as often on the road, but I'm still tweeting and instagram-ing pictures and updates.

I'll post more here when I have good access to a full keyboard. For anyone that has seen my TSLA earnings reports live blogs, you'll know why my iPhone keypad is KILLING me :)

- - - Updated - - -

Well done and congrats! If you get a chance put your numbers at Most Superchargers Visited and Superchargers Visited - Wiki.

You probably have everyone except Flat Stanley beat!

DONE! Thanks for updating the wiki. I added another one today as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Very cool!
Thanks. Hoping to make it to Hawthorne by Monday.

Exiting the 90 freeway into Mitchell South Dakota my tire pressure sensor light came on saying to check my tires and when I got out of the car, I heard a hissing down and realized that I had a small metal embedded in my right rear tire.

I immediately drove to the super charger and plugged it. I then called the 800 number on the supercharger and spoke with Dan in Service who got me a tow and a tire patch within 15 minutes.

Not surprising that Tesla motors comes through again.

On the road and headed to Murdo South Dakota.

Got to meet @Slipdrive at Lone Tree today . . . awesome. Thanks for coming by and showing me your baby :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

Leaving Glenwood Springs in a few minutes and although last night was the first night I've spent in a bed since leaving Virginia, I'm glad I got some decent rest. I could feel the spiders crawling over me and I knew it was time to call it a night.

Looks like there are 1200 miles to go until the journey ends in Hawthorne, which should put us there later afternoon Monday.

Currently charging at GALLUP NM Supercharger at the Hampton Inn.

Today has been one of the best days of the trip. The weather has been perfect. Temperatures in the 50's and 60's and no wind. No clouds. Sun shining. No snow. No rain.
Average speed today has been in the high 60 and I've arrived at each stop with a TON of rated mileage buffer. I've been taking copious notes (just on the return from VA to CA) so I'll likely upload an excel spreadsheet in the near future.

Other than the MS60 being so dirty, the car has been perfect in every single way. Just a pleasure to drive and I don't want the trip to end. Crazy, huh?
Looks like I'll stop tonight in AZ or Las Vegas (not sure where exactly) and then make the last few Supercharges for an arrival in Hawthorne around late afternoon.

Like when @myfastlady arrived, I'll try and grab a bite to eat after arrival so that anyone that has to work (@TAM!) can meet afterwards for a bite.

http://www.eurekarestaurantgroup.com/
Hawthorne Airport, Eureka!*Tasting Kitchen
12101 S. Crenshaw Blvd.
Hawthorne, CA 90250

Wrap Up: So made it back, 7700 miles round trip, from Los Angeles to Virginia and back to Los Angeles. I learned so much about driving the Model S 60 that I don't think I could have learned any other way.

I experienced almost every single driving condition imaginable:

Heavy rains in Arizona (2 inches/hour)
Heavy winds in Minnesota (50+mph that caused a big-rig to jackknife)
Heavy snow in Colorado
Extreme cold in Wyoming and South Dakota (4-8F)
Big elevation changes (5000ft climb from Denver via the Eisenhower pass)

I also made many mistakes along the way. Fortunately, I was cautious with my speed and kept an eye on my range whenever there was a longer distance that needed to be traversed.

I nearly shot myself in the foot once: heavy rains on the climb to Flagstaff coupled with failing to do a range charge taught me the lesson to only leave with at least 25% buffer.

I also learned to pick my spots. Slowing down on a climb and then allowing myself to go +5-10 over the speed limit on the downhill resulted in significant increase in range without reducing my average speed. If the hill was steep enough, I coasted until I reached a designated speed, and then engaged the motor for engine braking and regeneration.

On the topic of regeneration, it is always more efficient to coast. Unless you start to reach an unsafe speed, and then use regeneration.

I think anyone can make the drive I made in an MS60. But it would also be easy to run out of electrons, too. Try to drive from Cheyenne to Silverthorne at 75mph. Even in an 85, that might be tough.

I called the MS60 a road warrior and nothing I've seen over the past 10 days and 7700 miles changed my opinion. I now have a grand total of 22,000 miles since Fremont pickup in August and I look forward to the next 100,000 with alacrity.

I wouldn't trade my car in for any other model in the world. Not an exotic. Not a classic. And not a collector car.

I've been driving for 25 years and I've never experience the sheer joy of being on the road. It's my hope that the feeling of piloting what I affectionately call the "spaceship" never ends.

Wrap Up: So made it back, 7700 miles round trip, from Los Angeles to Virginia and back to Los Angeles. I learned so much about driving the Model S 60 that I don't think I could have learned any other way.

I experienced almost every single driving condition imaginable:

Heavy rains in Arizona (2 inches/hour)
Heavy winds in Minnesota (50+mph that caused a big-rig to jackknife)
Heavy snow in Colorado
Extreme cold in Wyoming and South Dakota (4-8F)
Big elevation changes (5000ft climb from Denver via the Eisenhower pass)

I also made many mistakes along the way. Fortunately, I was cautious with my speed and kept an eye on my range whenever there was a longer distance that needed to be traversed.

I nearly shot myself in the foot once: heavy rains on the climb to Flagstaff coupled with failing to do a range charge taught me the lesson to only leave with at least 25% buffer.

I also learned to pick my spots. Slowing down on a climb and then allowing myself to go +5-10 over the speed limit on the downhill resulted in significant increase in range without reducing my average speed. If the hill was steep enough, I coasted until I reached a designated speed, and then engaged the motor for engine braking and regeneration.

On the topic of regeneration, it is always more efficient to coast. Unless you start to reach an unsafe speed, and then use regeneration.

I think anyone can make the drive I made in an MS60. But it would also be easy to run out of electrons, too. Try to drive from Cheyenne to Silverthorne at 75mph. Even in an 85, that might be tough.

I called the MS60 a road warrior and nothing I've seen over the past 10 days and 7700 miles changed my opinion. I now have a grand total of 22,000 miles since Fremont pickup in August and I look forward to the next 100,000 with alacrity.

I wouldn't trade my car in for any other model in the world. Not an exotic. Not a classic. And not a collector car.

I've been driving for 25 years and I've never experience the sheer joy of being on the road. It's my hope that the feeling of piloting what I affectionately call the "spaceship" never ends.

Congrats! Great Accomplishment! This road trip boosted ya up in mileage, your really catching up to me!

I only have one (Tongue in cheek=] ) comment to make, around the midwest, 4-8*F is not extreme cold hehe, thats winter bbq weather.

All in good fun. Glad you made the trip, I hope to do a drive to visit the Tesla Factory in Fall, as my summer season is starting (meaning, I actually will need to start doing some work again.....) so no long road trips.

Cheers!

+ :biggrin:

thanks Z!

- - - Updated - - -

Bravo, Sam!! Congrats!

Thanks for following the trip GG!

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats! Great Accomplishment! This road trip boosted ya up in mileage, your really catching up to me!

I only have one (Tongue in cheek=] ) comment to make, around the midwest, 4-8*F is not extreme cold hehe, thats winter bbq weather.

All in good fun. Glad you made the trip, I hope to do a drive to visit the Tesla Factory in Fall, as my summer season is starting (meaning, I actually will need to start doing some work again.....) so no long road trips.

Cheers!

Yea after I wrote that I realized that many would consider anything above zero to be sunbathing weather. I didn't get into wind chill temps which put relative temps 20-30 below zero since that didn't effect the performance of the car.

But as a Southern California owner "soft" from winters in the low 60's I thought I was at the North Pole. Is there anywhere colder?
;-)

as for the miles, I doubt I'll keep up with any of the iron butts out there.

But ill likely hold the record for most superchargers used until the summer.

- - - Updated - - -

Way to go Sam!!! The trip information you provided is very helpful. Thanks for showing that the MS60 can do it all too (maybe with a little more TLC required).

Agreed you need to use TLC in a 60. But also noticed that the 60 is much more efficient than the 85 due to it's reduced weight. Except i noticed you are driving on 21" tires so disregard my comment on efficiency. You probably get the same efficiency as an 85 driving on 19" tires. Careful on longer legs between SCs.

Last edited: