Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Supercharger-Only Coast to Coast Road Trip in a Tesla Model S 60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cold hasn't been a problem but heavy rains have. The tire drag goes up wildly.
It has been fun but I'm driving into the teeth of winter. Last night was the first snow I've driven through but the MS60 handled like a champ. Today, the Rockies!

Are you on the stock Goodyears, Michelins, or something else? Looking forward to your experiences in the snow :biggrin:

After a 15 minute charge in Blanding, off to Moab UT for lunch. Anyone nearby want to join around 1pm?

I doubt if you make it all the way across the divide today, but beware the snow storm is just clearing out and there will be a lot of Sunday Afternoon/Evening ski traffic on I-70 East from Vail to Denver. It can back up for hours on a winter Sunday. Check CoTrip.org for status. There are several places to stay near the Silverthorne Supercharger. That might be a good place to spend the night and do a Range Charge before Cheyenne. Mountain Lyon Cafe is a classic breakfast place while you pack in those last few Joules* before heading across the divide.

A few Colorado Front Range folks might want to meet you in Cheyenne. Keep everyone updated on your schedule.

Have fun and good luck! :biggrin:

* 3,600,000 Joules = 1 kW-hr

I doubt if you make it all the way across the divide today, but beware the snow storm is just clearing out and there will be a lot of Sunday Afternoon/Evening ski traffic on I-70 East from Vail to Denver. It can back up for hours on a winter Sunday. Check CoTrip.org for status. There are several places to stay near the Silverthorne Supercharger. That might be a good place to spend the night and do a Range Charge before Cheyenne. Mountain Lyon Cafe is a classic breakfast place while you pack in those last few Joules* before heading across the divide.

A few Colorado Front Range folks might want to meet you in Cheyenne. Keep everyone updated on your schedule.

Stopped in Moab Utah for a little lunch and now I have arrived in grand junction Colorado. Should be leaving here by 4:15 PM local time and ETA in Silverthorne Colorado super charger at approximately 5:45 PM. Thanks, cottonwood for the traffic advice.

Note: The Eisenhower tunnel (Continental Divide) approach and descent are a few degrees steeper in grade than the standard for Interstate Freeways. Normal advice is to go LOW Regen on the backside (downhill) if there is ice and snow on the road, as the rear tires will track better. Should be dry after Georgetown, and you can switch back and will enjoy getting paid back in Joules big time for the next 20 miles downhill.

with a range charge in Silverthorne, (barring headwinds) you shouldn't need any juice in Lone Tree. On to Wyoming !

Last edited:
Do you expect to be, and if so when, at the Rockford or Highland Park superchargers. Any idea yet?

Probably Tuesday around noon-ish. Will post more as I get closer.

- - - Updated - - -

So staying in Cheyenne tonight with arrival around midnight. Will leave tomorrow by 7am. Will post more once I check in to my hotel.

- - - Updated - - -

Note: The Eisenhower tunnel (Continental Divide) approach and descent are a few degrees steeper in grade than the standard for Interstate Freeways. Normal advice is to go LOW Regen on the backside (downhill) if there is ice and snow on the road, as the rear tires will track better. Should be dry after Georgetown, and you can switch back and will enjoy getting paid back in Joules big time for the next 20 miles downhill.

with a range charge in Silverthorne, (barring headwinds) you shouldn't need any juice in Lone Tree. On to Wyoming !

Range charging now. Great advice on the low regen in snow. Will do! Thanks @slipdrive.

Can you post some statistics about the trip. I'm mostly interested in how much energy you need between each Supercharger station. I plan on doing the trip in the summer and it would be super helpful to have some data from an actual Model S.

Can you post some statistics about the trip. I'm mostly interested in how much energy you need between each Supercharger station. I plan on doing the trip in the summer and it would be super helpful to have some data from an actual Model S.

There is no universal efficiency. I've had legs where I got 220Wh/m and others over 400. The biggest factors in order of importance are speed, elevation change, rain/snow on ground and cabin temps.

So many variables. Maybe too many for generalization.

There is no universal efficiency. I've had legs where I got 220Wh/m and others over 400. The biggest factors in order of importance are speed, elevation change, rain/snow on ground and cabin temps.

So many variables. Maybe too many for generalization.

True, there are many factors that change a lot with weather. A little head wind, rain and cooler temperature together can make a significant difference.

Range charging now. Great advice on the low regen in snow. Will do! Thanks @slipdrive.

How did low regen work out descending from the Eisenhower tunnel? I ask because I typically just set the cruise control for the speed I want on the descent and leave the regen set to Standard. I haven't paid much attention to exactly how many kW of regen you need to hold a steady speed on the downhill run.

How did low regen work out descending from the Eisenhower tunnel? I ask because I typically just set the cruise control for the speed I want on the descent and leave the regen set to Standard. I haven't paid much attention to exactly how many kW of regen you need to hold a steady speed on the downhill run.

It was snowing and starting to get icy, so the low regen felt a lot more stable. If it had been dry I likely would have left it in standard. I used 7kWh on the first uphill and then got 7 miles of range back in the next 55 miles of downhill.

Made it to cheyenne driving 75+ and had 20 miles of range left.

It was snowing and starting to get icy, so the low regen felt a lot more stable. If it had been dry I likely would have left it in standard. I used 7kWh on the first uphill and then got 7 miles of range back in the next 55 miles of downhill.

Made it to cheyenne driving 75+ and had 20 miles of range left.

Good to know Silverthorne-Cheyenne is doable in a 60 even when the weather isn't ideal. The other direction, however...

The only time Standard regen could bite you on a snowy downhill run is if you were to suddenly lift off the pedal for some reason: if all you're doing is using the regen to hold a cruise speed set point, it shouldn't matter what setting you use unless there's so little traction that cruise control can't hold a set speed...in which case it's so bad you shouldn't be on the road in the first place.

The only time Standard regen could bite you on a snowy downhill run is if you were to suddenly lift off the pedal for some reason: if all you're doing is using the regen to hold a cruise speed set point, it shouldn't matter what setting you use unless there's so little traction that cruise control can't hold a set speed
Exactly. You presently need to creep up on pedal pressure until it speeds you up, THEN cancel cruise control. Surely Tesla can invent something better, as it could be a real hazard on slick roads. In the meantime, don't use cruise control if it could get icy.

Exactly. You presently need to creep up on pedal pressure until it speeds you up, THEN cancel cruise control. Surely Tesla can invent something better, as it could be a real hazard on slick roads. In the meantime, don't use cruise control if it could get icy.
FWIW:
regardless of propulsion method in your vehicle using cruise control when driving in poor weather conditions is usually not a wise thing to do

Exactly what you need to do going in and out of cruise control when hypermiling.

Very good idea not to use cruise control in poor traction conditions and apply everything, throttle changes and brakes evenly and gently.

Just departed for Lusk Wyoming and the temperature is a balmy 35°. 122 miles to go with 194 miles of ideal range.

Great! Your last challenge will be the Macedonia, OH to Somerset, PA hypermile leap of 176 miles. You will probably have to drive a little slower on that leg...

Rapid City shows as elevation 3240 and Lusk is 5070 so you have a huge buffer and the weather looks good so hope the leg is ideal and your Wh/mile might drop under 200.

I tried to get my walk hours per mile down lower but my right foot kept wanting to drive back so I ended up rolling into the supercharger in Rapid City with -1 mile that you can check it out on twitter picture of it it's pretty near disastrous.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly what you need to do going in and out of cruise control when hypermiling.

Very good idea not to use cruise control in poor traction conditions and apply everything, throttle changes and brakes evenly and gently.

Great! Your last challenge will be the Macedonia, OH to Somerset, PA hypermile leap of 176 miles. You will probably have to drive a little slower on that leg...

Cottonwood. I'm hoping that Macedonia is not my Waterloo.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. I had one very short experience with using regen in icy conditions and felt the backend break loose. Won't make that mistake again. Also not planning to use cruise control unless the roads are clear as the fine control of the right foot is generally better. For now.