Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First experiences with our Model S (Dadaleus' story)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And I'm now up to 1,277 miles. At this rate I'll drive something like 50,000 miles this year. I guess I better get a handle on my Model S addiction.

At that mileage rate, we should be seeing our first "Tesla ranger service" review fairly soon :wink:

Congrats dadaleus. Most of us who are still waiting for our own beauties to arrive are all living the dream through your writings in this thread. Awesome!! And Thanks!!

This thread has probably about run it's course.

One annoyance I would point out: I'm not very happy with the paint armor. The hood with the armor only halfway up is particularly unattractive. Pretty much everyone who sees the car immediately notices and comments. I've decided to pay a 3rd party to remove it and reapply it to the whole hood. In addition, other spots they applied it have a significant orange peel effect. I'm going to ask Tesla to redo those. Overall, I do not recommend doing it through Tesla. If you are taking home delivery, I'd suggest doing it through a local place, like Al & Eds here in California. In my case, maybe it was still worth it since I drove 500 miles home from the factory and by that time I'd probably have already damaged the paint. But it's definitely not what I expected.

So out of curiosity, have you attempted to play a movie from your thumb drive? If so, do you at least get sound if no video? This was supposed to be disabled when driving, just wondering if they really did disable it, and if you can at least view videos while stationary (P.S. Cake is awesome).

Pretty sure this isn't possible. I haven't tried a lot of formats, but the thumb drive menu seems very audio specific. (I did have a .mov on there andit didn't appear.) Video definately doesn't work via the web: No Flash or H.264 player.

I apologize if this has been covered: what audio formats does the Model S recognize? Does it recognize the iTunes MP4 format? And can you sync your iPhone/iPod through bluetooth or USB?

Thanks for all of your updates/info!

Hmm.. It definately plays .flac and .mp3. I haven't done a comprehensive test.

I'm not sure what you mean by sync. It plays audio from the iPhone and iPad beautifully via Bluetooth. It doesn't actually transfer the song files if that's what you mean (prett sure iOS doesn't allow that with anything). You can't navigate the music library on your iOS device from the touchscreen (but you can with USB thumb drives): Just play/pause, next and last. Cover art and song title also appear beautifully and reconnecting and switching between mutiple devices works great!

- - - Updated - - -

Dadaleus, you just cost Tesla atleast half a million in revenue (500 or so paint armor order cancellations, give or take, if they see your post) :)

Sorry for the extra cost that you are incurring... You've saved others from the spend though.

Well, I love Tesla (and have a vested interest as a car holder, X depositor, and stockholder), but hopefully my feedback, which I definately always give directly as well, can help improve the product and help others get the car they want. The paint armor is not a fatal flaw by any measure. It's the best car in the world, for sure! I just want everything to live up to that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another note: I haven't found how to set the time for the charge. Right now it only charges immediately on plug in. This is annoying as I have a time based plan with the power company and had the Roadster charging at midnight. I'm emailing Tesla to ask about this.

Jason, did you happen to figure this out? Any input from Tesla? Thanks.

Pretty sure this isn't possible. I haven't tried a lot of formats, but the thumb drive menu seems very audio specific. (I did have a .mov on there andit didn't appear.) Video definately doesn't work via the web: No Flash or H.264 player.

Dadaleus - did you store the music on your thumb drive in files, or did they need to be singular in the root menu? Thanks ... WJ

Jason, did you happen to figure this out? Any input from Tesla? Thanks.

Future firmware release.

- - - Updated - - -

Dadaleus - did you store the music on your thumb drive in files, or did they need to be singular in the root menu? Thanks ... WJ

It seems to do a recursive search of all directories. (I haven't tried multiple levels though.) They all get organized by title, genre, album, and artist using the meta data.